Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:22 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I once had my car stolen in a busy retail area of Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills in the middle of the afternoon. Welcome to L.A.
WTF?

Care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:39 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Years ago a buddy had his truck broken in and radio stolen right by the police academy entrance. A cop drove in, saw broken glasses, and went look for us.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
My friends bike was stolen at the bike racks under the Huntington Beach pier in broad day surrounded by people. I was at the dog park in Orange and someone broke into 5 cars braking windows when we were about 100 ft away in full view of the parking lot. I was at CVS drug store and some homeless guy was stuffing his back pack with make up right in front of me. I told the employees and they just watch the guy run out of the store. Thieves don't care anymore if they get caught nothing happens to them

Old 07-01-2017, 11:40 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Do stolen bikes often end up in the basement of the Alamo? Somebody told me that.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Homeless criminals in Los Angeles are a protected class.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
thinks like this have always been a problem in downtown. I remember many years ago, like maybe close to 70 when mom and I were doing our usually shopping at Grand Central. She would pick me up after school and we would head down the Pasadena Freeway to the market. We would park at a small lot on Hill Street and cut through the alley to the market. That was when I learned what Winos were. There would be drunks all over the alley with their cheap bottles of wine, most of them sleeping. Like today, these men, always men I will add were homeless and lived for their daily wine or some of them would get meals at the all night mission.

Anyway, we had a favorite vegetable stand where we purchased our produce. Mom would decide what she wanted, give the list to the vendor so he could pack our veggies and we would head to the snack bar for a soft drink. That was the only time I had got a coke. Anyway, we sat down at the counter, ordered and this nice? lady came by and visited while admiring my baby brother. Well when mom got ready to leave the Nice? lady was gone and so moms wallet. Her purse was there, unzipped. Luckily dad worked very close to the market, he came over, paid for our produce and we headed home. Of course daddy was off work by then, so we stopped near Chinatown to pick up the meat order daddy had called in earlier that afternoon. I remember how upset mom was. We didn't have credit cards then, but her prize possession was a picture of my brother the day he was born.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:14 AM

70 posts, read 117,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Vultures, I tell you.

Parked my bike out front of the market, locked with a 3/4 thick chain + combo lock, only to return 15min later to someone else's bike. 12:30p...peak of foot traffic.

What the hell LA.
wow, I was at grand central market that day, I was at the thai food place and by the eggslut

Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I once had my car stolen in a busy retail area of Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills in the middle of the afternoon. Welcome to L.A.
Crime knows no zip code, but that sounds like an interesting story. Anything come of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Yep. 100% sure it's in skid row right now being bartered for meth.
I kept it clean, so I hope they got a good penny for it. Or, you know...a good (bag?) for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
It's DTLA. How the hell are you surprised?
Not surprised by the property crime in DTLA, just the swift act of a brazen criminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I wouldn't leave a bike unchained ANYWHERE! That's why they make bike locks and chains in the first place.
It was locked. With a chain that has hoisted my 400lbs motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You do realize half of the people you see walking around in DTLA are not hipsters but homeless.
I always liked to play a game I call "Hipster or Homeless?". It's very difficult these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmadness77 View Post
wow, I was at grand central market that day, I was at the thai food place and by the eggslut
It was literally right outside of Eggslut. Right next to the Metro bikes. Did you happen to see a turquoise road bike with cork grip tape? And then a hipster (or homeless) ride off on it in pure joy?

Edit: After talking with coworkers, I think I'm going to forgo bike ownership and just get a Metro bike card. $20/mo for unlimited use is reasonable. It's like having one $240 bike stolen per year.

Last edited by adr3naline; 07-05-2017 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: added comment about Metro bikes

Old 07-05-2017, 11:04 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
If you choose to live in DTLA, then it's probably to be expected. Homeless ppl were there a lot longer before the yuppified hipsters.
My bike was stolen in broad daylight in Claremont Village a very upscale area without a homeless person in sight. My first bike got stolen 40 years ago in a small Minnesota town. It's nothing new and could happen anywhere.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles