U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 PM

16 posts, read 57,820 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I am a 23 year old guy from Scotland and I intend on spending the summer living and working in L.A. I will be arriving in June and shall be staying until October/November. I am also gay and would be looking for both a job and a room to rent whilst I am in the City.

I am aware that L.A is vast in size and very different from other US cities with regards to it's high crime rate and poor transit system. I would appreciate some advice on any 'gay friendly' neighbourhoods and some advice on how easy/difficult it will be to find work in a bar/restaurant. PS - I don't drive. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the gay friendly neighbourhoods Los Angeles?-me-toronto.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 PM

6,216 posts, read 11,837,948 times
West Hollywood is known for being a gay mecca of sorts, but honestly, you would probably be fine anywhere in the city. LA is a very open minded city and you could live anywhere within the city limits and be fine. Downtown is an up and coming neighborhood, but you may also want to check out Silverlake, Los Feliz, Santa Monica, Venice... All of these places have plenty of bars and restaurants and would work for you without a car. The busses here aren't the best, but if you get yourself a bicycle and work and live in the same neighborhood, you should be fine. Also, regarding crime, its not that bad, just lock your doors and you should be fine.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,576,389 times
BR hit it: I think you'll be very hapy in West Hollywood. There's lots of support for members of the gay community there. Lots of safe socialization.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM

489 posts, read 1,318,576 times
The crime isn't nearly as bad as people would believe. In fact, Los Angeles is just as safe now as it was in the 1950's, and your odds of being a victim of a serious crime is less in only a few major cities, New York City being one of them. Common sense will keep you the safest. As for public transportation, Los Angeles is a very young city and the transit here reflects that. The more centrally located you are to Downtown LA, the better transit you have. Los Angeles is a very tolerant city, and most people could care-less your orientation, live and let live mentality. The highest concentration of gay clubs is in West Hollywood, but there are gay clubs all over Los Angeles and Orange County. Following is a link of all the gay clubs in the area: Nightlife Directory (http://www.frontierspublishing.com/2622/agenda/agenda_nl3.html - broken link)

Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM

16 posts, read 57,820 times
Thank you for the advice guys! An extra thanks to BreaOC for the link on LA nightlife.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,984,552 times
Downtown Long Beach and Belmont Shore fit as well. Gayfriendly establishments and primarily gay restaurants and bars all over the area, Ripples probably being the most well known

Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,121,603 times
Most people hardly pay attention to each other & sexual orientation is not an issue. Several areas have particularly high gay concentrations including Studio City/Hollywood Hills/Mt Washington/Pasadena.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
QAF

14 posts, read 28,378 times
Life in Denver, CO has worn thin on me and I need a change. I'd like to try LA for a year or two and see what happens. All cities have problems and annoying people but I have grown weary of the weather, people, and the dreadfully dull gay scene in the Mile High city.

I'd like to try LA for a year or two and see what happens. Would anyone be so kind as to steer me toward affordable gay or at least gay friendly neighborhoods in the LA area? I am aware of West Hollywood but would like to know about other areas.

Is there much of an art community within the gay communities of LA? Apparently in Denver there are no openly gay painters or artists...sorry, sarcasm and mild bitterness today with the gray skies and snow.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 PM

65 posts, read 163,681 times
Default Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Downtown Long Beach and Belmont Shore fit as well. Gayfriendly establishments and primarily gay restaurants and bars all over the area, Ripples probably being the most well known

But Long Beach is not a place for someone with no car. A lot of people I know in Long Beach go right from house to car, never setting foot on the pavement right outside their own house, because it is too dangerous. And in Long Beach the dangerous and the good areas change from block to block. Long Beach is only for savvy individuals with cars who know the terrain (read: locals). It is not for innocent young visitors with no car and no idea what they are getting themselves into.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,540,227 times
I think all of Los Angeles is gay friendly. Any area that you like the look and feel of is bound to be gay-friendly. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles