Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:49 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,546,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The Cal State Universities look pretty much at GPAs and test scores. And unfortunately, today, few get into a UC campus with a 3.5 GPA. College admission is much more competitive than it used to be.

When I went to college, back in the Stone Age, you could get into USC with a 3.0--I knew plenty of people who did--if you had enough activities and your test scores were decent.
^^ Agreed ^^

I work and have friends in some of the higher tier community colleges that get a lot of international and local students whose goal is the UC system with USC as a backup. First choice is almost always Cal, then UCLA, then USC. 4.0 is a must and they join every honor student group or community service group they can get into. In the better schools of the UC system there is fierce competition to get in. a 3.5 wouldn't cut it unless you have a REALLY compelling life story that goes viral and you do all kinds of crazy community service and make a name for yourself.

California students are competing with global students that want that UC degree. It carries a lot of cache abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:15 PM

266 posts, read 269,886 times
Your best bet is to go to college in ohio for the In state tuition, get a degree that would do well in California and enjoy the lower cost of college and less bills. Get excellent grades, internships etc then move to California, even if your in Ohio apply for some summer internship work in LA. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:26 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivechan View Post
I am planning to major in a criminal justice/psychology area so if any specific college has a good program, that would be great.
That's a double major in two of of the worst 10 majors. Not worth paying out of state tuition unless one has an extra large pile of money lying around.

10 Worst College Degrees to Earn in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
Your best bet is to go to college in ohio for the In state tuition, get a degree that would do well in California and enjoy the lower cost of college and less bills. Get excellent grades, internships etc then move to California, even if your in Ohio apply for some summer internship work in LA. Good luck.
Excellent advice here!

Old 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,237,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
A 3.5 won't cut it. Lots of students have 4.0 - 4.5 GPA's (higher ones obtained through taking lots of AP classes) and they still don't get into UCLA or USC.

A family member is majoring in your exact major and minor (!) at Sacramento State. Not SoCal, though.
My nephew went to Sac State as well for Criminal Justice.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,237,526 times
Im all for pushing USC. I am a season ticket holder to the Football games. Still it is a lot of money to go there and the acceptance rate is low. My two youngest want to go there. They both study Taekwondo and USC is one of a handful of schools with a program. They have a great med school program and my daughter is interested in that.

My kids are A students and have been since they were little. They are only in middle school now though so it is a long way off. We do have some connections to the school but still no guarantees to get in. My son is active in Track, Taekwondo, Boy Scouts, and will be volunteering at the Hospital when he turns 16. Out daughter is involved with Track, cheer, taekwondo, is a young artist and has won awards for both art and writing already by age 10 at the state level. These kids are accomplished for there age and still no guarantees of getting in to USC.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:19 PM

908 posts, read 1,295,402 times
I thought that getting into USC and UCLA 10+ years ago was difficult, but it's even harder today.

It doesn't help when you've got grade inflation where it's harder to differentiate a great student from a good student. Plus, especially when the UCs started having budget issues in 2008-2009, they started accepting more out-of-state and international students who have to pay much more than in-state students, thereby increasing competition.

I've heard of 4.0 plus kids with good SAT scores and solid extracurricular activities not get into the top UCs (UCLA, Berkeley). It's not even necessarily a guarantee for mid-tier UCs (San Diego, Irvine, Santa Barbara).

Unless you're a college level athlete where schools are willing to lax standards a bit to recruit you or are flat out exceptional where you'd be in the top 5-10% of applicants, there are no guarantees.

As noted, try to establish residency in California if you're budget sensitive.

Also, start internships / part-time jobs as soon as possible. Real world experience will go a long way and it shows schools you're serious in your area of interest. Plus, you need to learn real life skills that you won't learn by just showing up to lectures.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:08 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The Cal State Universities look pretty much at GPAs and test scores. And unfortunately, today, few get into a UC campus with a 3.5 GPA. College admission is much more competitive than it used to be.

When I went to college, back in the Stone Age, you could get into USC with a 3.0--I knew plenty of people who did--if you had enough activities and your test scores were decent.
of course we could and I bet I am older than you. I had no problem getting into San Diego State and my gpa if I remember right may not even have been quite 3.0. As for USC, I know how hard it is to get into the school. But CSU are still easier than the UC campuses. As I mentioned in my remarks test scores play a roll. You have said the same. I am questioning those who seem to think only grades count.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:28 PM

8,369 posts, read 7,579,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Unless you're a college level athlete where schools are willing to lax standards a bit to recruit you or are flat out exceptional where you'd be in the top 5-10% of applicants, there are no guarantees.

As noted, try to establish residency in California if you're budget sensitive.
Again, for traditional undergrads starting college after high school, establishing residency for tuition purposes is not as easy to do as people think it is.

If you are UNDER age 24, you must have (1) established residency one year before the start of classes AND (2) be able to document that you have been completely financially independent of your parents for TWO FULL YEARS.

The complete residency requirements can be found here:

How to establish residency | Understanding residency for purposes of UC tuition

As the UC system notes:

Virtually all nonresident undergraduates with nonresident parents remain nonresidents for the duration of their undergraduate career at UC.

Starting at a community college does not really help because unless you meet the above requirements, you will be classified as a non-resident then, and the UCs will automatically keep that classification unless you take time off between the CC and UC attendance to work.

California, by the way, is not alone in this. Most other states (including Ohio) make it very difficult to establish residency, although some states have reciprocity agreements with other states that may reduce tuition for non-residents. An example would be the Western Undergraduate Exchange here in the West.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:22 AM

240 posts, read 238,542 times
I'm in agreement with the posters that said do in-state tuition in OH where it's cheaper and move out afterwards. Student loans DO come back and haunt you later.

BUT... that being said, I haven't seen anyone through Cal State Northridge in the mix yet. Or what about a school like Santa Monica College or Pierce College? Something more localish that would be more affordable.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,796,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post
I'm in agreement with the posters that said do in-state tuition in OH where it's cheaper and move out afterwards. Student loans DO come back and haunt you later.

BUT... that being said, I haven't seen anyone through Cal State Northridge in the mix yet. Or what about a school like Santa Monica College or Pierce College? Something more localish that would be more affordable.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like CSN would be about $8k/semester for out of state and Santa Monica would be $3500/semester. Ohio State is about $10k/year tuition for in state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles