Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 8,959 times

Advertisements

hey guys!
so i am currently a 16 year old college student from the UK
i study beauty and have a growing you tube channel and Instagram page!
within a few years i hope to gain a large following and have you tube as my career!
if this works out for me, will it be easier for me to move to LA? moving to LA has been my dream since i can remember, and i would love to full fill it by the time im 25, but i would love to move there by the age 20. money is not an issue as i already have a stable income for someone my age, and I am going to LA next year with my mum to see if i like it! I hate England and it really does not feel right living here, even though i am fully English and was born here! i need help on advice with what visa to get, and how to get it as i want to apply for a green card at the age of 18! If anyone is able to help that would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:14 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,786,099 times
Student visa, get a company to sponsor a work visa or marry an American citizen. Not sure if you heard but we have a new President who who is doing everything he can to tighten up immigration

Old 07-10-2017, 02:13 AM

10 posts, read 8,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Student visa, get a company to sponsor a work visa or marry an American citizen. Not sure if you heard but we have a new President who who is doing everything he can to tighten up immigration
yeah i was kind of hoping he'd be gone by then

Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 AM

53 posts, read 55,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebannister View Post
yeah i was kind of hoping he'd be gone by then
He's the POTUS for 8 years... so...

Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 AM

19 posts, read 24,807 times
What a joke. Get a real job.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,406,717 times
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking a work visa might be hard to come across for a job that can be done remotely, from anywhere. Not to mention your odds of becoming a YouTube star are about the same odds as I have of becoming the next queen of England.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking a work visa might be hard to come across for a job that can be done remotely, from anywhere. Not to mention your odds of becoming a YouTube star are about the same odds as I have of becoming the next queen of England.
Here are the options:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...igrant-workers

Despite how easy it is for some people to enter the US illegally, it's pretty difficult to immigrate legally. They may be able to do E2 which is for entrepreneurs and one requirement is:

"Have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States"

Of course the "substantial amount of capital" part seems to be open to interpretation by immigration officials but from what I read they usually want you to be investing at least $100k into a business in the US.

They might qualify for O1 artist visa which has requirements:

"To qualify for an O-1 visa, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary ability by sustained national or international acclaim and must be coming temporarily to the United States to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability.

Extraordinary ability in the fields of science, education, business or athletics means a level of expertise indicating that the person is one of the small percentage who has risen to the very top of the field of endeavor.

Extraordinary ability in the field of arts means distinction. Distinction means a high level of achievement in the field of the arts evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered to the extent that a person described as prominent is renowned, leading, or well-known in the field of arts.

To qualify for an O-1 visa in the motion picture or television industry, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary achievement evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition significantly above that ordinarily encountered to the extent the person is recognized as outstanding, notable or leading in the motion picture and/or television field."

So basically, finding an American citizen to marry is still the easiest thing to do which is why people have been doing it for decades

Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,466 times
You're fantasizing LA. "Good vibes" is LA's leading export and it hooks suckers every day. So my guess is when you visit you'll be severely disappointed.

Oh an good luck renting an apartment in LA (highly competitive) with volatile income, no credit, and no rental history. Unless you can pay a whole lot of cash upfront, you're facing serious headwinds.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:47 PM

322 posts, read 273,484 times
British people love LA, I think they love it because it's so different from what they're used to, the weather, the infrastructure, the scenery, all so very different, they don't think the same way for other places in the US like New York or Chicago since those places are pretty similar to many European cities, but LA!...it's like the "grass is greener on the other side" kind of mentality

Old 07-10-2017, 01:53 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,071,960 times
A perfunctory Google search reveals a Twitter account the main goal of which seems to be stalking Justin Bieber, as well as a YouTube channel/Instagram page with makeup tips. Not to pour too much water on the fire of OP's dreams, but that's not enough basis to sustain a move to a competitive environment such as Los Angeles. I realize she isn't looking to make the move right this minute, but I am not sure how much money there is to be made in "making YouTube her career" with this kind of content in either country.
Quote:
money is not an issue as i already have a stable income for someone my age
There is no "for someone my age" discount in the real world. What is your monthly income, may I inquire?
Quote:
I need help on advice with what visa to get, and how to get it as i want to apply for a green card at the age of 18! If anyone is able to help that would be much appreciated
Here's some advice: realize that this is not a realistic goal and plan accordingly. There isn't a buffet selection of visas - there are things for which you must qualify. As a British citizen you don't need a visa to visit, but you do need one to stay and none of the options available are going to fit you. Maybe try applying for a University program in L.A. (assuming you even like it when you visit, though I'd think that would have been a prerequisite to even ask questions about moving here), but even that will require a substantial financial backing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles