Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 01:35 AM

216 posts, read 200,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
As someone who has lived in both Arizona and Southern California, two Mexican border regions, here are my observations on the matter.

In Arizona, it seemed more common for whites to marry Mexicans, which is likely due to the fact that there is less income disparity between Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites in Arizona than in Southern California.

For what it's worth, there are many more average-income whites in Arizona relative to Southern California, where whites tend to be very, very high-income – at least in the coastal areas (e.g., Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc.).

Because average household income and educational attainment are highly correlated, and whites in Southern California are, on average, exponentially wealthier and more well-educated than their Hispanic counterparts, you rarely ever see white/Mexican pairings in the coastal counties.

Regardless of your racial or ethnic background, your family and friends are more than likely going to strongly dissuade you from "marrying down" in terms of education, income, etc.

And even if your partner of Mexican heritage is well-educated and high-income him- or herself, there is still a very strong likelihood that that his or her family is low-income and not particularly well-educated because those are the defining attributes of that ethnic community in the United States of America.

When you marry into a low-income family, there is a host of issues that you, your children and maybe even your family of origin will have to contend with, including, but not limited to: divorced grandparents and aunts/uncles (which automatically makes the likelihood of your marriage failing very high, regardless of race or ethnicity), financially supporting in-laws and other extended family members when they retire (or having them move in with you), having relatives with potentially destructive personal habits such as smoking and gambling, grandparents will leave minimal to no inheritance or help provide for their grandchildren, etc.

That's not even touching on the specific issues endemic to the Mexican-American community, such as having in-laws who may be illegal immigrants, speak minimal to no English and/or have no health/auto/life insurance.

In this area, you will observe white/South Asian pairings and especially white/East Asian pairings more frequently than white/Mexican pairings because East and South Asians have similar educational attainment and average household income levels as whites.

In the Inland Empire of Southern California, where whites tend to be lower-class, you will observe many more white/Mexican couples. And in the ghetto areas of Los Angeles, the small handful of white people that you will see out about are usually paired with blacks.

Another potential factor at play as it relates to the limited number of white/Mexican couples you observe in the coastal counties of Southern California relative to Arizona may be the fact that most whites living in, say, Los Angeles or Orange County were born and raised in California and have deeper-seeded feelings of animosity or disdain towards the Mexican-American community and Mexico in general than whites in Arizona, who are mostly transplants from the Midwest, Pacific Northwest and Northeast (i.e., regions that have very low Mexican-American populations) and, therefore, have little to no opinion on the Mexican-American community and the influences that shape it.
You're observations are way out in left field and almost comical. You assume that in general Mexican Americans in California are lower class and therefor are more likely to marry lower class Anglo's. If higher education is an indicator of a persons class, in 2017, 24% of the student body at California University (UCLA, UC Berkely, UC Irvine, etc.) system was Latino. The averages are even higher for the California State University system (Long Beach State, San Jose State, San Diego State, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 AM

131 posts, read 142,909 times
my wife is hispanic and I myself am mixed I look white and shee does to some extent but we still get some grief from people but we live in a majority white state-idaho granted thankfully in a city the most diverse and liberal city -boise which comes with good and bad points but one good point is people are more open to us. She is btw originally from mexico and english is her second language which still has a negative effect on our lives at times. she has seen some improvement in life with my last name being english... sad stuff

Old 07-20-2017, 05:21 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,411,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Just want to point out that Mexico is a country and Mexican isn't a "race". Jessica Alba did a DNA test and she's essentially European with some Asian.
She has the same amount of European ancestry as I do (86%) and I never identified as anything but white. I am "fairer" looking than her, though. I'm not Mexican but I am Hispanic. We literally come in every race, ethnicity and religion.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if you...really...want to get technical, "Mexicans" (with all-European blood) are "white" (Caucasian).....what I think you're calling "white" in the OP you may really want to call Anglo.....
And there's even Anglo-Mexicans too! Look at the Romneys! Technically "Anglo" refers to "English" so a white person of Irish or German ancestry isn't Anglo either. There's never perfect words, huh?

Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I am no expert on genealogical research but......

https://www.britannica.com/place/Mexico/Ethnic-groups

From Encyclopedia Britannica, "Mexicans of European heritage (“whites”), who constitute between one-tenth and one-fifth of the total. Generally speaking, the mixture of indigenous and European peoples has produced the largest segment of the population today—mestizos, who account for between one-half and two-thirds of the total."

That said, the term Mestizo has largely been dropped from the popular Mexican vocabulary, with the word even having pejorative connotations.

In reference to Jessica Alba, she appeared on the George Lopez show circa 2009 when he was inviting celebrities on his show to give them a DNA test to see where their heritage comes from.

The results for Alba were 83% European and 13% Indigenous American which surprised even Alba. Lopez joked, "You are whiter than Larry David." (as Larry David had tested 37% Native American).

Jessica Alba Discovers Her True Ethnicity on Lopez Tonight
The Larry David thing comes from the test mixing up Ashkenazi Jewish with American Indian. Whatever test they used on the show was likely accurate but outdated. There's no way Larry David has any Native American, and I'm not just saying that cuz he's very white, I'm saying that cuz his family came to New York City a few generations ago. White Americans with Native American DNA have been in the continent for many generations and the DNA percentage is quite small.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
What do you mean "progressed"?

Over 100 years ago, one of the meanings of the word "race" was "nationality." It was part of the definition. It wasn't an insult, so there's nothing to progress from.

President Theodore Roosevelt even coined the term "American race." He believed that America had created a new race, the American race, unlike the English, German, French, and other European races from which it had originated. Roosevelt was proud to belong to his self-defined "American race."

People are way too hypersensitive whenever the word "race" comes up, always ready to be offended over some imagined slight.
If only that was true, then we wouldn't have treated our black brothers and sisters like garbage.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,912,923 times
I've seen hot white models marrying Mexicans.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
Over the past few decades I've seen more and more couplings of Mexican or Mexican Americans with whites. I know many mixed race couples, but most seem to be Mexican/White unions. I was wondering if this was more common in California than other southwest states, where the population of Mexican and Mexican Americans is highest.

I came across a list of countless celebrities who are mixed Mexican/White heritage. The most famous IMO is Boston Red Sox legend and Hall of Famer, Ted Williams.

The list was long and only included actors and singers. Here's but a few names from that list.

Joan Baez (singer)
Linda Cater (Wonder Women)
Sara Paxton (Actress)
Paul Rubens (Actor - Pee Wee)
Fergie (Singer - Black Eyed Peas)
Demi Lovato (Singer)
Dave Navarro (Singer - Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Tyler Posey (MTV - Teen Wolf)
Jessica Alba (Actress)
Chris Weltz (Actor - Twilight)
Ed Furlong (Actor - Terminator)
it has always been common, as far back as I can remember, but of course,as our we, as a country become more open to ethnic diversity and accepting you are going to see more. I certainly do not think, for one minute how Hollywood goes so goes the country.

As for CA versus other states, any state with a large population of Mexican Americans are going to have a higher % of mixed marriages. New Mexico also has a lot of mixed marriages. I am not sure why this is even a topic worth discussing. What I have never seen a lot of is Indian/white marriages or Muslim Christian marriages. I can only remember one couple of Muslim/Christian background that were married and the marriage was a disaster.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,104,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
it has always been common, as far back as I can remember, but of course,as our we, as a country become more open to ethnic diversity and accepting you are going to see more. I certainly do not think, for one minute how Hollywood goes so goes the country.

As for CA versus other states, any state with a large population of Mexican Americans are going to have a higher % of mixed marriages. New Mexico also has a lot of mixed marriages. I am not sure why this is even a topic worth discussing. What I have never seen a lot of is Indian/white marriages or Muslim Christian marriages. I can only remember one couple of Muslim/Christian background that were married and the marriage was a disaster.
I'd be curious to learn of any Moslem female plus any non-Moslem male pairings in general. THAT would show some real advancement. Has anyone see that unicorn?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM

12,338 posts, read 8,072,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I'd be curious to learn of any Moslem female plus any non-Moslem male pairings in general. THAT would show some real advancement. Has anyone see that unicorn?
One of my coworkers meets that definition, the family coming from Pakistan originally . But she drinks wine eats pork and only fast during part of Ramadan and many would say that she is Muslim in name only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles