Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,147,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
What is an "SJW"?
x

Social justice warriors. Check them out in YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,633,460 times
California, the land of fruits and nuts.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,945,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
It's pretty apparent though that the pro-gentrification crowd are supporters of the Status Quo, whether they realize it or not.

Newsflash, fellas: the status quo if maintained will lead to a bloody revolution one way or another. It ain't worth it. The needs and concerns of the dispossessed American citizenry are better off being addressed sooner rather than later.
I'm starting to hear rumblings from fellow coworkers as we watch all of these residential towers and mixed-use developments go up around us in Central LA. We say "the city needs to inact for every new residential construction that 20% of the units be low income". If that were to happen, then those units could perhaps have less fancy finishes, not as many features, etc. Then it was brought up that "we" need housing subsidized too. The people making just enough to not be in poverty but not enough to live completely comfortable (the 40k to 65k crowd). We need more new "middle class housing" was the talk. Not sure how many more luxury condos/rentals this area can take.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,367,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'm starting to hear rumblings from fellow coworkers as we watch all of these residential towers and mixed-use developments go up around us in Central LA. We say "the city needs to inact for every new residential construction that 20% of the units be low income". If that were to happen, then those units could perhaps have less fancy finishes, not as many features, etc. Then it was brought up that "we" need housing subsidized too. The people making just enough to not be in poverty but not enough to live completely comfortable (the 40k to 65k crowd). We need more new "middle class housing" was the talk. Not sure how many more luxury condos/rentals this area can take.
That approach in isolation will only drive up costs and lead to fewer housing units being built. Building new multifamily developments is quite expensive and without any gap financing or subsides developers will have trouble making the deal pencil other than in the absolute best locations.

There are plenty of ways to encourage the mixed-income housing you allude to but it requires MONEY or development subsidies (not always politically popular to subsidize developers as some of them have earned reputations as scum bags).

That said, there are a range of federal and state programs that are used to finance mixed-income developments: the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Community Development Block Grants, etc.

I don't know the exact number of units being created under these programs but I believe their numbers are quite low compared to the need. Read: we already don't built enough market rate units as it is and the number of subsidized units is a trickle compared to that.

The Urban Institute (a policy think tank) and the Urban Land Institute (ULI is a development think tank) both describe how these deals work:
The cost of affordable housing: Does it pencil out?

https://urbanland.uli.org/economy-ma...-housing-work/

As noted in the ULI article, the Santee Court project in downtown Los Angeles is an example of one project built with mixed-income units.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:39 AM

100 posts, read 542,404 times
Here's some articles I've written about concerning gentrification:

The Aquarian Paradigm: Gentrification- Is It Really Ethical?
The Aquarian Paradigm: Mixed Use Developments- How They Contribute To Climate Change

I'm all for development and improving bad neighborhoods, but there are much better ways of doing it than pricing out the existing demographic. The Universal Basic Income would clean these areas up (I believe the gang map is quite accurate, as I've been on all the gang sites, though the map is still in progress) by giving everybody increased spending power, which would reduce crime while not displacing the Latinos and blacks in those areas. I discuss UBI more at my other blog, Left Wing Astrology, and in the first ever post on the Aquarian Paradigm blog. Gentrification does punish people for being poor in a way (I used south Monrovia and Duarte as an example, with the Du Roc Crips and Monrovia Nuevo Varrio under an injunction since 2009, when these gangs have been around and at war with each other for YEARS. Their injunction came when the Gold Line was being extended. Hardly a coincidence. MNV's northern part of their territory was already gentrified because of the downtown redevelopment in the 70s and 80s, and it's very noticeable), as the businesses that come with it are for another demographic, just like the gang injunctions are usually to protect the new demographic that's coming in. The picture of the good development is the Citrus Crossing in Azusa, which looks nice and has the 99 cents store and Grocery Outlet in it, which cater to the existing working class Latino demographic in the city, as well as numerous chain stores and restaurants that cater to the university students in the apartments and dorms in the area. The second picture is what increases population density, which adds to the current climate change crisis (we CAN'T live a consumer/materialistic lifestyle forever).

I don't endorse how the protesters are handling it (in street view, hardly any of Boyle Heights looks nice, unlike the westside where the improvement is very noticeable. Even Echo Park, Hollywood, and Highland Park still look very bad, though I do see the changes on Sunset in Echo Park but not the neighborhoods), but I do emphasize with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles