Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times

Advertisements

...because it sure as heck rubs me the wrong way.

I have been to Burbank a total of probably 12 times, by my count, since 2009. In fact, the first visit I ever made to California was to L.A., and I stayed in Burbank. I've stopped plenty of times in Burbank when driving back into L.A. from NorCal, for the sake of convenience. I've eaten at In-N-Out and Starbucks, and shopped at Target, Trader Joe's, and IKEA, all of which are in the central part of Burbank.

Each time I've made a stop in town, I just can't seem to get over how poor the customer service generally is from merchants and cashiers, how aggressive and surly customers seem to behave (regardless of race), and how terribly aggressive the driving is in and around downtown. I even know people who have worked for, or have collaborated on projects with, Burbank City Hall and have come away saying some pretty negative things about that city's government.

Burbank, to me, seems like an odd blend of machismo-oozing Armenians, ESL-for-certain Mexican immigrants who look unhappy to be there, and Northeastern and Midwestern transplant types who work in the entertainment industry and have that douchey hipster thing going on. It just isn't a vibe that I "get."

The next time I drive back into L.A. from the north on the 99/5 Freeway, I think I'll just make my stops in Newhall, or even just Bakersfield. Bakersfield isn't the most pleasant-looking town in the world, but at least its people are down-to-Earth and seem reasonably friendly.

So, what gives, Burbank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,015,988 times
bizzare

Old 07-24-2017, 08:39 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Bizarre it may be, but I'm completely serious

Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,015,988 times
Amazing. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,291,837 times
That's interesting you say that as I find Burbank to be one of the more decent parts of the L.A area .
Aggressive driving in Burbank ? Have you driven in Hollywood or the Westside .
I don't know if they are corrupt in the Burbank government but there is no doubt they keep the city cleaner and more decent than city of L.A

Old 07-24-2017, 02:52 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,784,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
That's interesting you say that as I find Burbank to be one of the more decent parts of the L.A area .
Aggressive driving in Burbank ? Have you driven in Hollywood or the Westside .
I don't know if they are corrupt in the Burbank government but there is no doubt they keep the city cleaner and more decent than city of L.A
Yeah, Burbank is like an oasis in midst of the other nonsense that LA has to offer. But then again, I'm one of those east coast transplants that OP mentions.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,289,347 times
Nope! I think its one of the better places int he whole county.
Pretty clean, no noticeable gang activity, manicured lawns, apartments that actually do income and credit checks, school district has a good reputation, a fair amount of eateries but yet many quiet residential streets, and home owner/renting prices that may not be cheap...but are not the highest in the county to the point that it seems insane.

Plus I think the location is cool if you have things you want to do in the Valley, or over the hill in the Hollywood/ DOwntown area. The studios along with some of the office buildings they have near the freeways make it look like a modern area to me. My friend from the east was here in November and as soon as we got off the freeway to ride through the streets, his first reaction "wow, this area looks nice, where are we?"

I don't know where you saw these " Mexican immigrants who look unhappy to be there" at. That place is generally not populated by that type

Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 PM

817 posts, read 747,228 times
It's the Armenians.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:00 PM

266 posts, read 269,065 times
I'm in Burbank regularly for the Cruise in at Bob's Big Boy, plus on other business. Always liked the area and found it it be generally friendly and well kept. Nice central location for a lot of stuff with good neighborhoods.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:07 PM

173 posts, read 169,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
It's the Armenians.
The Kardashians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles