Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you in L.A. during the riots?
Yes 48 61.54%
No 30 38.46%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:08 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
the national guard was a staple in south central before the riots. anytime they had any hint of someone talking about illegal stuff, we were always being asked to show our ids before driving onto our block.
The National Guard has never been utilized in South Central or anywhere else for routine law enforcement. It can only be deployed by the Governor in response to emergency situations.

When they were activated for the riots, they were not prepared. There were delays getting supplies and ammunition to Southern California, and Guardsmen had no training in civil unrest. Their leaders had previously determined that their training should involve natural disasters, etc.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/12...1744723272400/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 12:22 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Were the police more effective in handling the Watts riots? I was not alive at that time and don't know too much about them.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:49 PM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
The National Guard has never been utilized in South Central or anywhere else for routine law enforcement. It can only be deployed by the Governor in response to emergency situations.

When they were activated for the riots, they were not prepared. There were delays getting supplies and ammunition to Southern California, and Guardsmen had no training in civil unrest. Their leaders had previously determined that their training should involve natural disasters, etc.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/12...1744723272400/

if you weren't there, don't comment. they were always used in los angeles if there was a threat of violence.

mainly for checking id's if they shut down a certain street.

dont turn this into something because you want to argue

Old 07-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Were the police more effective in handling the Watts riots? I was not alive at that time and don't know too much about them.

i wasnt alive either, i can only go by video and first hand accounts.

the police were literally trying to exterminate people of color. they cut power to whole sections of los angeles and were openly assaulting people for no reason including dragging them out of their homes

Old 07-30-2017, 03:46 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
if you weren't there, don't comment. they were always used in los angeles if there was a threat of violence.

mainly for checking id's if they shut down a certain street.

dont turn this into something because you want to argue
The California National Guard as in the 40th Infantry Division (Mech) whose primary mission was to reinforce X Corp in Korea in case of WWIII? The 49th Military Police Brigade is up north and exactly when where these citizens getting time off to set up check points on southland streets. It wasn't Guardsmen from the 160th Infantry Regiment or my unit the 144th Field Artillery Regiment, exactly where did these so called National Guardsmen taking IDs in South Central with not a single picture or news story of them having done so beyond a few days in 1965 and a few days in 1992 come from?.

The LA County Sheriff's SWAT and tactical teams wear Army green uniforms and not the standard tan over green for the most part unlike LAPD in blues

Old 07-30-2017, 06:38 PM

51 posts, read 46,419 times
I was 4 years old living on Bronson Ave near Pico and Crenshaw. I distinctly remember flames not far from our duplex. My grandmother was crying.

One of my cousins was in the California National Guard and deployed to the riots. He was involved in the incident where a man ran a checkpoint in a vehicle. When he tried running the guardsmen over, they shot him in the face.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:27 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
Quote:
i wasnt alive either, i can only go by video and first hand accounts.

the police were literally trying to exterminate people of color. they cut power to whole sections of los angeles and were openly assaulting people for no reason including dragging them out of their homes
I'd love to see these videos of people being dragged out of their houses and exterminated by police during the Watts riots. Can you upload some or provide a link? I'm surprised there were no news accounts of police cutting power to whole sections of L.A.

Amazing what you can learn on a C-D Forum.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:58 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In the end 34 deaths when the police stood and fought from the beginning in 1965 versus 63 when the first officers from 77th Division were pulled back with the hope the riot would burn out on Florence Ave. But with TV pictures of the big bad LAPD doing nothing the freaks came out that night. With Parker Center and a few LAFD companies being the only thing protected.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I'd love to see these videos of people being dragged out of their houses and exterminated by police during the Watts riots. Can you upload some or provide a link? I'm surprised there were no news accounts of police cutting power to whole sections of L.A.

Amazing what you can learn on a C-D Forum.

so you've been walking around your whole life and havent heard about the watts riots?

next you'll need to see proof that police have shot people this year and gotten away with it.

unless you know, your family told you the police were oh so nice about it enforcing law during the riots.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:28 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
so you've been walking around your whole life and havent heard about the watts riots?

next you'll need to see proof that police have shot people this year and gotten away with it.

unless you know, your family told you the police were oh so nice about it enforcing law during the riots.
So tell us, how were Black people exterminated during the Watts riots? Did the LAPD put them on trains that went to camps with odd showers or something like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles