U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM

48 posts, read 21,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
All the more reason to not want to live there. Even if I was independantly wealthy I would not chose to live on the westside. If I wanted to live by the beach in CA I would take Santa Barbara, San Diego, OC, Ventura, Santa Cruz areas. There is nothing about Santa Monica/Venice that is appealing to me at all. I used to have to spend a lot of time there for work when I first moved to LA and haven't been over there in about 6 years and I'll be glad if I never go back there again
I hear you. I would probably look at Palos Verdes over OC/Ventura because it's still somewhat convenient to lots of amenities in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 04:40 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandarin View Post
I hear you. I would probably look at Palos Verdes over OC/Ventura because it's still somewhat convenient to lots of amenities in LA.
For some people, NOT being convenient to L.A. would be a plus.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Interestingly, the entire reason that South Pasadena was created way back when was to create their own school system so the "north of the freeway" kids couldn't attend. Homes in South Pasadena are also generally more expensive.
You're thinking of La Canada.

The median home in South Pas is definitely higher than Pasadena, but if you look at the top end of homes, Pasadena crushes it. South Pas has had ZERO SFRs sell for over $5,000,000 EVER on Zillow. Pasadena has 14 for sale right now.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
For some people, NOT being convenient to L.A. would be a plus.
But then those people probably wouldn't live in LA county would they.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM

8,283 posts, read 5,835,102 times
Quote:
Yep. Same as La Canada.

The median home in South Pas is definitely higher than Pasadena, but if you look at the top end of homes, Pasadena crushes it. South Pas has had ZERO SFRs sell for over $5,000,000 EVER on Zillow. Pasadena has 14 for sale right now.
That's probably the old money mansions that date from the time when Pasadena was a winter retreat for the well-heeled. Think Gamble House.

I'm guessing that may also account why historically the city really didn't put a lot of attention into a higher ranked public school district...

Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Was there a freeway back then?

I thought that it was La Canada-Flintridge which broke away from PUSD so their kids wouldn't go to Muir...not South Pas...
Construction on the 210 began in 1955 and completed in 1966. La Canada was incorporated in 1976.

South Pas was incorporated in 1888 and shared its high school with San Marino until 1955 when they split off.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's probably the old money mansions that date from the time when Pasadena was a winter retreat for the well-heeled. Think Gamble House.

I'm guessing that may also account why historically the city really didn't put a lot of attention into a higher ranked public school district...
Actually historically Pasadena did have a high ranking public school district. It's just that all the black kids had to stay at Muir. Then when they were forced by the Feds to desegregate and start busing kids from NW Pasadena to places like Blair & Marshall or PHS all the rich white people said screw it and took their kids entirely out of the system and put them in private schools or broke away and created their own school district like La Canada. Then the school district went to crap and it has yet to recover after 40 years.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:57 PM

13,872 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Interestingly, the entire reason that South Pasadena was created way back when was to create their own school system so the "north of the freeway" kids couldn't attend.
What? South Pasadena High School was the first and only public high school in South Pas, and was established in 1906. Up until the mid 1950s, it served San Marino high school students as well, since there was no high school in San Marino then.

Some of their elementary schools opened in the late 1880s.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:57 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
Actually historically Pasadena did have a high ranking public school district. It's just that all the black kids had to stay at Muir. Then when they were forced by the Feds to desegregate and start busing kids from NW Pasadena to places like Blair & Marshall or PHS all the rich white people said screw it and took their kids entirely out of the system and put them in private schools or broke away and created their own school district like La Canada. Then the school district went to crap and it has yet to recover after 40 years.
La Canada and Flintridge breaking away from PUSD so their kids wouldn't go to Muir occurred several years before busing. It may have had a role in bringing about busing in PUSD.

But yes, before busing, PUSD was considered an excellent district. It says something about the strength of community feeling and identity in Pasadena that Pasadena itself was not torn apart by what was happening in its schools like Inglewood was at the same time (as both were the first districts in CA to have forced busing)

Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 PM

13,872 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
I thought that it was La Canada-Flintridge which broke away from PUSD so their kids wouldn't go to Muir...not South Pas...
"1960 - Residents in the La Cañada and Flintridge areas (prior to the formation of the City of La Cañada Flintridge) approved a measure to establish a K-12 school district after GUSD indicated that it was not interested in annexing La Cañada schools due to its own building space and transportation problems..."

https://unitelcf.wordpress.com/timeline/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or