Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 22,815 times

Advertisements

I'll be commuting for a summer job from Westwood Village to Downtown LA (Wilshire & S. Figueroa). Is there any route (I don't care how many surface streets I have to take!) that will make the commute more reasonable than taking the 10? Any way to get the commute under 40 mins?

My commuting times will basically be rush hour (between 7 & 9am going to downtown, 4-7pm from downtown).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
I would take the freeway or the bus

Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I would take the freeway or the bus
I'd rather not do either. The 10 is a nightmare and public transit in LA is... well, it's public transit in LA.

Anyone other thoughts as to a good commuting route and approximate times?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoulding View Post
I'd rather not do either. The 10 is a nightmare and public transit in LA is... well, it's public transit in LA.

Anyone other thoughts as to a good commuting route and approximate times?
you are looking for something that doesn't exist. you can take wilshire all the way, or you can take the 10 to the 110 (which means driving south through more traffic just to get to the freeway, so i wouldn't even consider it). your best bet for any relief at all is to make your way to 3rd street once you get into beverly hills, and take 3rd to fig. it usually moves a little faster than wilshire and santa monica. i used to commute from 3rd and doheny to 5th and fig using this route, and it took nearly an hour in the morning and a little longer in the evening. you'll need to add at least twenty minutes to that to cover the distance from westwood.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
The freeway definitely sucks, but it would be faster than your alternatives. Just hop on the 405 south and then 10 east. The only other option that I can think of would be to take Olympic or maybe even Pico depending on how that whole mess pans out.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,065,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoulding View Post
I'll be commuting for a summer job from Westwood Village to Downtown LA (Wilshire & S. Figueroa). Is there any route (I don't care how many surface streets I have to take!) that will make the commute more reasonable than taking the 10? Any way to get the commute under 40 mins?

My commuting times will basically be rush hour (between 7 & 9am going to downtown, 4-7pm from downtown).

Thanks!
Whew! Thanks I needed the laugh! Westwood to Downtown under 40 mins. Good one. Seriously, the 3rd Street suggestion was a good one. The only other route I can think of is Wilshire to (little) Santa Monica (it will curve and turn into Burton Way, then San Vincente) turn left onto 6th Street all the way to Downtown.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Whew! Thanks I needed the laugh! Westwood to Downtown under 40 mins. Good one. Seriously, the 3rd Street suggestion was a good one. The only other route I can think of is Wilshire to (little) Santa Monica (it will curve and turn into Burton Way, then San Vincente) turn left onto 6th Street all the way to Downtown.
LOL. Bummer. I haven't locked myself into the Westwood Village arrangement, so I think I'll look in other neighborhoods... maybe Pasadena or Echo Park Hills. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles