Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,368,098 times

Advertisements

Another thing in regards to metro rail. It's only been more recently that a bigger part of the voting public has supported it.
The reason: Traffic has become more horrendous over the years. Any native or person that lived her many years will tell you the traffic in the 90s was nothing like it is now.

You had a lot of liberal Westsiders fighting the rail, while are now more likely to support it.

So things change you see.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Another thing in regards to metro rail. It's only been more recently that a bigger part of the voting public has supported it.
The reason: Traffic has become more horrendous over the years. Any native or person that lived her many years will tell you the traffic in the 90s was nothing like it is now.

You had a lot of liberal Westsiders fighting the rail, while are now more likely to support it.

So things change you see.
All of those westsiders from Beverly Hills to Santa Monica certainly aren't and were not liberal. That is the biggest problem you have Jm. Your mind has been screwed by deep partisanship.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,525,578 times
Quote:
Today's liberal politics and politicians are different than in the past. Example: If you look back at old President Bill Clinton speeches you'll hear him talking about cracking down on 'illegal aliens' , much different than Candidate Hillary Clinton or Obama.

Downtown was built up because of Villaraigosa and Hahn ? Which businesses did they start there? Which properties did they develop?..
I only know one former Mayor that owns businesses in downtown L.A , Richard Riordan.

So only liberal Mayors care about expanding rail transit?..

Riordan was fighting for a rail line all the way to Woodland Hills in the Valley
"The east-west Valley line would continue the Metro Rail line from downtown. The MTA is expected to decide next year between two rival proposals for a Valley route: a mostly subway line starting at the Metro Rail Red Line station in North Hollywood and ending in Woodland Hills, or an elevated line over the Ventura Freeway from Universal City to Woodland Hills."
Riordan Blocks Possible Snag to Valley Rail Line - latimes

I know Garcetti can sometimes talk a good came and he is a good bs'er , but rail was in L.A way before he became Mayor. He acts as if he invented it.
The improvements in the Metro system have much more to do with Villaraigosa than they have to do with Garcetti, even though they were finished under Garcetti. Tony V has the morals of an alley cat and was more interested in living a celebrity lifestyle than running a city, but the rail system was a real accomplishment for him of a sort that Garcetti lacks.

And as Jm1982 points out Riordan - and Hahn - were also working for rail. The Metro system opened under Riordan. Downtown gentrification finally came in, after a few failed attempts, at the very tail end of Riordan's mayoralty/beginning of Hahn's, because of the Metro system.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:00 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,368,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
All of those westsiders from Beverly Hills to Santa Monica certainly aren't and were not liberal. That is the biggest problem you have Jm. Your mind has been screwed by deep partisanship.
You are in denial if you don't think westside libs were fighting the metro rail in their neighborhoods. That's your prob.

Next we will hear that those protesting the Crenshaw/LAX line weren't liberals either..

I'm sure there are just tons of Republican voters living in the Crenshaw area..

Old 08-05-2017, 11:07 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,549,724 times
The whole story reeks of a man who failed at running for office and decided to use this schtick for a real estate career. He's basically capitalizing on people's prejudices. It's nothing more than a relocation service. He's not giving out grants for low-income conservatives who can't afford to "flee."

I'm wondering if that will be the next step. It's gotten that bad with the partisan/political crap. People are that invested in their ideology. Look how they work it into every post on here they can.

Looking for recommendations on a dentist in Van Nuys? Well the liberal commies drove out the only good one!
Need info on a youth sports club in Thousand Oaks? Well the religious right wing bigots took it over!
Seriously, it gets old on here.

And that is exactly why this guy was smart to basically form a real estate referral program using a political schtick. Hate sells.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
You are in denial if you don't think westside libs were fighting the metro rail in their neighborhoods. That's your prob.

Next we will hear that those protesting the Crenshaw/LAX line weren't liberals either..

I'm sure there are just tons of Republican voters living in the Crenshaw area..
jm you just don't get it and you never will. I would explain to you how the west side is far from the super liberal area you think it is but I feel it will go in one ear and out the other. Your argument is based on inaccurate assumptions you believe to be true without question.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
The whole story reeks of a man who failed at running for office and decided to use this schtick for a real estate career. He's basically capitalizing on people's prejudices. It's nothing more than a relocation service. He's not giving out grants for low-income conservatives who can't afford to "flee."

I'm wondering if that will be the next step. It's gotten that bad with the partisan/political crap. People are that invested in their ideology. Look how they work it into every post on here they can.

Looking for recommendations on a dentist in Van Nuys? Well the liberal commies drove out the only good one!
Need info on a youth sports club in Thousand Oaks? Well the religious right wing bigots took it over!
Seriously, it gets old on here.

And that is exactly why this guy was smart to basically form a real estate referral program using a political schtick. Hate sells.
They don't realize how serious a mental problem this is. Everything in their world is Liberal and conservative. No gray area. No apolitical slant either. It has already effected some posters here.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,525,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
jm you just don't get it and you never will. I would explain to you how the west side is far from the super liberal area you think it is but I feel it will go in one ear and out the other. Your argument is based on inaccurate assumptions you believe to be true without question.
It is extremely liberal, while at the same time there are parts of the westside where discrimination laws are (or at least were until recently) not enforced and steering is still practiced. Mainly because those are areas where the big Dem money lives

Old 08-05-2017, 11:18 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,371,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

And as Jm1982 points out Riordan - and Hahn - were also working for rail. The Metro system opened under Riordan. Downtown gentrification finally came in, after a few failed attempts, at the very tail end of Riordan's mayoralty/beginning of Hahn's, because of the Metro system.
The Adaptive Reuse Ordinance (passed in 1999 when Riordan was Mayor) had more to do with the initial spark for the downtown residential renaissance than Metro. Though clearly the continued expansion of Metro has helped to reinforce and build on the trend.

I don't know but I would guess the ARO passed by a large margin....14 to 1 or something like that.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It is extremely liberal, while at the same time there are parts of the westside where discrimination laws are (or at least were until recently) not enforced and steering is still practiced. Mainly because those are areas where the big Dem money lives
It really isn't. You mean to tell me that the area from Beverly Hills to Santa Monica is super liberal?

Yea OK sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles