Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Agreed. A very dangerous road to travel down if the excuse from cyclists is "just be patient while we break the law and wait for the few minute delay to be over".
But if you decide to just plow through that will pretty much be the end of your life. If you want to enforce the law go sign up at the police academy. If you want life to be convenient for you all of the time then living in a metro area with 10+ million people isn't the place for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Agreed. A very dangerous road to travel down if the excuse from cyclists is "just be patient while we break the law and wait for the few minute delay to be over".
They're no different than the wild west outlaws who rode into a town to raise hell, swing from the chandeliers, and generally ruin the day and night for peaceful, law-abiding citizens.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I think it's an insult to cyclists to call these thugs cyclists. I've been on many organized serious groups rides around LA. First thing is no serious cyclist is going to be riding in Koreatown, it's too flat and too many cars. Secondly if you are in a group of 50 or 100 and you hit a a light the groups separates and then the people that fall behind just make it a race to catch the rest of the group when they light turns green. Yes, usually a few people run the red because it's dangerous to slam to a stop with another 25 cyclists inches behind you but I've never been on a ride where people attempt to stop traffic. That's the equivalent of motorcycle stunt riders that try to shut down freeways so they can all do donuts and wheelies and stand up on their motorcycles. Thirdly, serious cyclists don't look like 18th Street gang members with shaved heads, mustaches and Dodgers gear on
I concur. I usually can tell who the serious cyclists are. They're the ones that are constantly checking the traffic around them and don't make abrupt changes of direction - that is, they are aware of what's going on around them even as they are talking.
My attitude is: I'm in my comfy air conditioned car with the stereo on so giving cyclists the room to operate is a no brainer.
It helps that I'm retired and the world won't end if It takes me a few more minutes to reach my destination. Besides, I always leave early to allow for any contingencies!
I could gripe about some bad behavior on the part of cyclists but I'm not because my fellow motorists are far more infuriating!
What these jerks don't think about when they close down an intersection; is that it only takes one distracted driver, or drunk driver to cripple, maim or kill them.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
They're no different than the wild west outlaws who rode into a town to raise hell, swing from the chandeliers, and generally ruin the day and night for peaceful, law-abiding citizens.
No ones arguing that the bicyclists were right. Notice my OP that said basically right/wrong goes out the window.

Theres no war here, simply the act of not escalating a situation that goes from an extremely minor issue to full blown fighting or worse.

Note that I'm not the passive type. For instance I think our local govt officials *Cough Garbagecetti cough* are so miserably misguided as to be considered corrupt when they allow protesters free reign to the point that they enter the freeway. THAT is an escalation to danger by protesters that the government is OBLIGATED to prevent. Garcetti at minimum should allow the LAPD swat and riot teams to be brought in and arguably the National Guard. Its so egregious that I now think anyone that DOESNT want to recall Garcetti is essentially brain dead.

But with the cyclists? What end game is here? They cause a disturbance that is very minor in nature and the effect is nothing more than a car pulled over on the side of the road. Theres nothing to get crazy about at all.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:05 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
It's like getting caught by a 'suprize train' - just chill.
But it's not a train, even if cyclists think it is "like" a train.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Because a few minute delay isn't worth getting upset over.
I wish cyclists felt that way.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Cyclists are allowed the same rights as cars and allowed to use all of the lanes of traffic and cars behind them by law have to wait and pass when it's safe just like any other slow moving vehicle.
Cyclists also have the same obligations as cars and by law must stop at every stop sign and red light, even if that means breaking up the "group."

Cyclists are always whining about their "rights" but ignore their obligations.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
I believe some of these spandex wearing cyclists are cantankerous because automobile passengers rarely roll down their window and slap the bicyclist's asses as they pass by. Just a supposition...

Old 08-07-2017, 06:47 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I believe some of these spandex wearing cyclists are cantankerous because automobile passengers rarely roll down their window and slap the bicyclist's asses as they pass by. Just a supposition...
Or maybe just from the number of motorists who almost sideswipe them because they are busy texting or watching movies on their phone while driving or the ones that yell at them or throw bottles out the window at them while they are minding their own business in the bike lane? Because I've had all of that happen to me. Maybe it's because I did a lot of my riding in Armenian hot spots? I would definitely challenge anyone who doesn't ride in LA to ride a bike on the streets of LA for one day while following all of the laws of the road and see how many close calls or run ins you have because of idiots in cars who are either jerks or preoccupied with things other then driving and then report back about how cyclists are the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles