Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
In july 2015 i moved from the San Fernando Valley to Seattle,WA. I miss the hiking trails off Reseda blvd in Tarzana. I miss my parents and friends. I miss malibu and the beaches. I miss westfield topanga mall. I miss Brents Deli in Northridge. I miss Carnival Lebanese restuarant in sherman oaks. I miss Gelsons markets. I miss Santa Barbara,California.

Im sure i missore about LA. Moving to seattle was still one of the best choices i ever made though.
Sunny-warm year round moderate weather
The cultural diversity (Food/neighborhoods)
Endless things to do
Family & Friends
I miss being next to the beach enjoying the ocean breeze, but not going in the water.
Liberal Politics

I don't miss:
Expensive everything (Expensive to the point where you might be homeless if bad luck comes your way!! )
Traffic
Crowds everywhere, at every place you go to (sporting events, restaurants, music events, malls, etc.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 11:58 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
I worked particularly diligently on moving the hell out of L.A., finally accomplishing the feat seven years ago. During those seven years I did a lot of growing up and came to the inevitable conclusion that the reasons I had such a tough time in L.A. were all internal. Would love to move back, but reality being what it is will likely prevent me from doing so, at least in the foreseeable future. I do visit at least once a year and try to cram as much of the things I miss in every visit, so this should be pretty easy - and extensive.

(My comparison is with Ann Arbor, MI - for those unfamiliar, a small to medium-sized college town with a huge nationally ranked university. So, basically, Westwood/UCLA if they were plonked in the middle of Michigan.)

Miss:

- The food. This one is easy. Ann Arbor has been a pleasant upgrade over the other Michigan communities I'd called home over the course of the last five years, but the sheer variety of different (and high-quality) options in L.A. can only be beaten (arguably) by NYC and DC. It's passe to mention In-N-Out in 2017, but I would be remiss if I didn't. Especially the one at LAX.

- Talking of which, LAX. I know it's trafficky AF and flights to Europe are long, but I can fly direct to pretty much any Old World city and pay a fraction of what I would do out of DTW. Plus, the variety of metal and liveries for the plane spotting nut. And an easy approach (most days - notably two of my worst landings were in the L.A. area, one at LAX, one at LGB) for the fearful flyer.

- Also, related to food, all the little cultural enclaves.

- The health culture. Yes, it gets obsessive and downright ridiculous at times - and, yes, there are plenty of people in my neighborhood who also run, bike, play soccer, etc. - but I still like L.A.'s exercise vibe more. Plus, the weather and beaches make for so much more opportunities to do it outdoors.

- The Lakers and the Galaxy, but mostly the Lakers.

- The car culture. I work for one of the Big 3, so Buy American! and all that, but I'm a car guy at heart and being one, at least to me, extends beyond BS nationalism with which so many here are imbued. Once you look past the Prii and the rice rockets, L.A.'s car game is pretty stellar. Also, scenic roads.

- Pasadena. I lived there for a year (truly, we don't appreciate something until we lose it) and make a point of dropping by every time I'm in the area. Dunno, just something about that place.

- The sun. It's cliche to ***** about Michigan sunshine (or lack thereof), but, although I hated the heat in SFV, I'll take it over whatever the clouds serve up here November through April.

- The amount of stuff to do and places to go on any given day.

- The (mostly) liberal views. There are times I need an echo chamber and there are far too many Trump bumper stickers here.

Do not miss:

- Traffic. Because duh. And poorly paved roads, although we have more than a fair share of those here, as well.

- Expensive real estate. Part of the reason I never escaped the Valley (apart from that one year in Pasadena) was that I could never really afford it.

- Related to the point above, the amount of money I would need to make to live as comfortably as I do now. I bring home a very decent paycheck by most standards, but I'd have to at least make 150% of my salary to be able to afford a similar standard of living in L.A., mainly due to housing (most other staples, apart from gas, are on par or even cheaper in L.A. than in MI, ironically). L.A. isn't kind to us lower management types.

- The liberal approach to life sometimes spills over into the overly relaxed and unprofessional.

I'm sure there's plenty I'm leaving out, but those are the major points.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
I miss Jon's market. Granted, we have it in OC, but the ones in LA are better.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM

74 posts, read 64,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
For pastrami, you would be the first.

Pastrami in the US began in NYC, brought by Jews from Eastern Europe in the late 19th century.
So because it came from Europe to NYC,means it taste better ?

Different places use different ingredients and for me the Chili cheese fries with Pastrami out in Los Angeles is wonderful.

Just my opinion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles