Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:50 PM

14 posts, read 57,488 times

Advertisements

I lived in West Covina for about 23 years (not quite rebagirl's 45, but I'd still say its significant). I would agree that some parts of West Co can appear a bit more run down than others, but her testament that it is a graffiti and crime stricken area can only be described as simply inaccurate. Never in my life have I or anyone else I know felt endangered while in West Covina, no matter what the hour (and I've lived in many areas of LA and on the east coast, so I do know what feeling endangered is like). To attest that West Covina Westfield mall is somehow unsafe... all I can say is wow...

I find it funny that in rebagirl's own crime statistics link, it shows that West Covina is below the national average for murder and manslaughter, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and burlgary (and WELL below the California average). I suppose she somehow interpreted these numbers differently.

There has also been a large new development right on Azusa that has made the area even more convenient than before (a large sports complex along with new stores/shops, not yet fully completed). All in all, it's not West LA, but it's not a half bad place to live.

To the OP, I would definitely pay a visit to the South Hills area south on Citrus. Very quiet neighborhood and ideal for raising children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 16,937 times
hi fellow west covina friends!

I am a 31 year native of west covina. growing up i use to tell people driving on the 10 freeway from LA, west covina is the first nice city u come to.. but today. im finding west covina to be slowly moving into the class of other citys like baldwin park, azusa, la puente, valinda. etc. YES. i do mean a lower class just check the data on the city data charts.
The areas to aviod is the area, azusa to hollenbeck, north of cortez.. francisquito (most is in LP i believe) and the out laying areas.
Here is how i check if the area is good or not. count how many cars are on the street. low the number nicer it is.

thanks.

i hope this was understandable just got home from a night out drinking. bi
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssss/ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssnssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssrssssssssssn ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssskssss ssssssssssssssssrrrrr

Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 23,148 times
Does anyone have info abt Baldwin park, LA. I got job transfer from Minneapolis to company in Baldwin Park. How is Baldwin park to live as a single mom? or is there any nice neighbourhood near by ?
Thanks

Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hum002 View Post
How is Baldwin park to live as a single mom? or is there any nice neighbourhood near by?
I would avoid living in Baldwin Park. Try West Covina (north of the 10) or Covina.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 33,431 times
Default We would give West Covina a 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiehshan View Post
West Covina residents' opinion much appreciated. Thanks.
Ok to answer the question as to what part of West Covina is considered a not bad part vs a bad part is tougher as it may sound. We have been living in West Covina for almost 7 years. Our area is not the worst, nor not the best. I am in full agreement that the "South Hills" is the not bad part, however the farther south you go from Cameron the more into the bad area you get. IN OUR OPINION, if anyone decided to have a difference of opinion. The City of West Covina is trying to clean up their city and are very limited on resources and citizen cooperation. The Northern part of WC if has many good spots and many bad spots and these spots tend to neighbor each other. Just depends if you take a left or right at an intersection. In regards to the Gang issues, yes this city has an issue with Gang members, but so do the adjoining cities. The number of Gang members is increasing and the age of these members are getting younger, but the police department is aware of this issue facing the city and have a well bodied Gang unit. In reference to the mall, we do not visit that mall regularly. We have, but as a family we do not feel safe there. Nothing has ever given us a reason to not be patrons there, just our own gut feelings, so we choose not to go there. What I do know about most of the "major" crimes that have occurred recently in the area have been non-west covina residences coming into the city and committing a crime. On a personal note, the years we have lived here we have been safe and no crimes were committed on us, although we have witnessed more than a couple crimes and the police response was appropriate. However we are and have been very eager to move out of West Covina and possibly out of State. This is not where we want to lay down roots for our family and raise our children. I do hope our insight was helpful.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I have found everything you've sad in your post to be completely untrue. In fact, the West Covina mall is one of my favorite hang outs both the Westfield side and the Edwards Cinema area. I've never had a problem there. I'd love to know where this graffiti is, because I've never seen it in the two years I lived there or in the time since I've but constantly visit. If I could find a job in the area, I'd move back in a heartbeat. Though I have to be honest and say I've never been near the Amar section so maybe that's where you are talking about because it's not true of the area near the Covina/West Covina border.
Yeah, West Covina isn't that bad. But there are bad parts. In fact, I think most of Covina is pretty bad. Whereas half of W. Covina is decent.

One word: South Hills. If you are looking for a house, that is the only truly nice, upscale neighborhood in W. Covina. The rest are decent. But the schools aren't that great. South Hills High is the best high school but still isn't that great.

If I were you I'd look into Walnut which is next door to the south. Nice area! Nice houses, clean, good schools, low crime, nice landscaping. Much better than W. Covina in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativesocalfamily View Post
Ok to answer the question as to what part of West Covina is considered a not bad part vs a bad part is tougher as it may sound. We have been living in West Covina for almost 7 years. Our area is not the worst, nor not the best. I am in full agreement that the "South Hills" is the not bad part, however the farther south you go from Cameron the more into the bad area you get. IN OUR OPINION, if anyone decided to have a difference of opinion. The City of West Covina is trying to clean up their city and are very limited on resources and citizen cooperation. The Northern part of WC if has many good spots and many bad spots and these spots tend to neighbor each other. Just depends if you take a left or right at an intersection. In regards to the Gang issues, yes this city has an issue with Gang members, but so do the adjoining cities. The number of Gang members is increasing and the age of these members are getting younger, but the police department is aware of this issue facing the city and have a well bodied Gang unit. In reference to the mall, we do not visit that mall regularly. We have, but as a family we do not feel safe there. Nothing has ever given us a reason to not be patrons there, just our own gut feelings, so we choose not to go there. What I do know about most of the "major" crimes that have occurred recently in the area have been non-west covina residences coming into the city and committing a crime. On a personal note, the years we have lived here we have been safe and no crimes were committed on us, although we have witnessed more than a couple crimes and the police response was appropriate. However we are and have been very eager to move out of West Covina and possibly out of State. This is not where we want to lay down roots for our family and raise our children. I do hope our insight was helpful.
I would love to know what is so unsafe about the mall. Maybe the throngs of Black and Hispanic people would make a white person feel unsafe. My sister has one eye and is in a wheelchair and goes to that mall by herself a lot and has never had anything even close to a problem.
Every city has a gang problem to one degree or another and as the economy gets worse, so will the gang problem. West Covina is a very nice safe community and as a single female I have never had a problem in any part of West Covins nor have I ever felt unsafe. The two occaisions I needed police assistance, they responded in less than five minutes and resolved the problem without major incident. I even did a ride along and I was pleasantly surprised at how humanely every call was treated.

If you have grown up in West Covina or lived there for more than 10 years, that city, like most places in Calfornia, especially LA, has gone downhill. So I can understand your lack of desire to continue to live here.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
OP - if you can, try to stay north of 210, or check Rowland Heights, Walnut, Philips Ranch...

Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 33,431 times
Default Not a rebutal, but to clarify!

The answer to your question could be found in our first post. To quote ourselves..(In reference to the mall, we do not visit that mall regularly. We have, but as a family we do not feel safe there. Nothing has ever given us a reason to not be patrons there, just our own gut feelings, so we choose not to go there.) Let me clarify our previous statement. We do not CHOOSE to be patrons of the mall. Our reason is simply our own gut FEELINGS (not racial as insinuated). As I reread the post, at no point did I state the mall was unsafe. I explained that we do not go to the Westfield's Mall on any regular basis because of our feelings. This is a choice that we have made for ourselves and our family. We are in no way stating that fellow post reader's do the same as us, nor persuaded current customer's to stop going. The forum is open to the public for the purpose of expressing ideas and opinions. I simply responded to a question with my own opinion. I'm not going to throw out statistics or facts, simply for the fact that information is vastly available via the internet. Now if the direct question wanted such information I would gladly direct anyone to websites I felt were reputable. However, a question of opinion was asked and I responded appropriately. Lastly, in regards to your sister, I would (or you should) highly encourage her to create a free account on city-data and post her own personal opinions, so that her own voice could be read and not simple through hearsay by her siblings. I assume the orignial question poser would appreciate a variety of West Covina residences and patrons so their decision could made with well-rounded opinions.
On a side note, to any who do read this or the post I am responding to, West Covina Police Department (as well as many others) offer ride-alongs (a chance to ride along a police office during his shift for a lengthy period at no cost) to any and all interested. Simply call the business line (non-emergency) number and ask for more information regarding a ride-along. There is minimal requirements and a simple wavier to be read and signed. I have done serveral (with West Covina and other surrounding cities) and found them enjoyable and learn much about the city and the internal working of the departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I would love to know what is so unsafe about the mall. Maybe the throngs of Black and Hispanic people would make a white person feel unsafe. My sister has one eye and is in a wheelchair and goes to that mall by herself a lot and has never had anything even close to a problem.
Every city has a gang problem to one degree or another and as the economy gets worse, so will the gang problem. West Covina is a very nice safe community and as a single female I have never had a problem in any part of West Covins nor have I ever felt unsafe. The two occaisions I needed police assistance, they responded in less than five minutes and resolved the problem without major incident. I even did a ride along and I was pleasantly surprised at how humanely every call was treated.

If you have grown up in West Covina or lived there for more than 10 years, that city, like most places in Calfornia, especially LA, has gone downhill. So I can understand your lack of desire to continue to live here.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Ah, this thread brings back memories. I haven't been to West Covina in years but I still miss Manzetti's Deli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles