Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:42 PM

183 posts, read 207,036 times

Advertisements

I am surprised at how others are quick to escalate this to police. What type of aggression are we talking about? Is it just yelling and profanity, or statements of bodily harm or reprisal?

If the OP feels threatened or is fearful, then yeah, police should intervene, but dealing with a rude axx-hat neighbor does not sound like it needs law enforcement intervention.

I too would recommend documentation with time/date and if possible, neighbors corroboratory remarks, to submit to the HOA when you have another negative interaction with said neighbor.

Addendum: Having said that, I am not in the situation the OP is faced with (3 young female roommates in LA). The last time I lived in an apartment was with a couple of post-college frat brothers....if there was noise, it meant there was a party and all the neighbors showed up to mingle.

Last edited by pharmboyinSD; 08-21-2017 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Forgot this is crazy LA and not a college town, so please be careful with this neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboyinSD View Post
I am surprised at how others are quick to escalate this to police. What type of aggression are we talking about? Is it just yelling and profanity, or statements of bodily harm or reprisal?

If the OP feels threatened or is fearful, then yeah, police should intervene, but dealing with a rude axx-hat neighbor does not sound like it needs law enforcement intervention.

I too would recommend documentation with time/date and if possible, neighbors corroboratory remarks, to submit to the HOA when you have another negative interaction with said neighbor.

Addendum: Having said that, I am not in the situation the OP is faced with (3 young female roommates in LA). The last time I lived in an apartment was with a couple of post-college frat brothers....if there was noise, it meant there was a party and all the neighbors showed up to mingle.
The frat guy doesn't think it's a big deal that a guy is threatening a group of girls over nothing. What a surprise

Old 08-21-2017, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 10,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's good you're noticing this. Make a note of it. Lots of notes. And btw--he's the one being dramatic, not you two.

Just curious; what did the HOA say to you about the problem?

We've been documenting all the dates and times (to show that he is unreasonably complaining about noise in the middle of the day - not even during the quiet times). And we sent in recordings of us walking in the home and him IMMEDIATELY pounding.

We did all this to show the HOA and they didn't really have any valid input or help. They said that it just needs to be worked out between the homeowners. So our landlord gave the neighbor her cell number and said to text her rather than pounding. He literally would text her when we weren't even home saying that we are intentionally throwing things on the floor.

So it was kind of pointless to go to the HOA.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 10,189 times
Quote:

Hi there - the only time that we've actually felt fearful was when he followed us outside yelling. I actually constantly regret not calling the police that day about it because that would have been the perfect timing. But we did submit an entire record of all the times that we've felt harassed by him to the HOA and they just said the homeowners need to work it out together. And that's getting no where fast.

We are getting to the point where we honestly aren't bothered by the banging - because we are used to it- it's just so embarrassing when we have guests over and it frightens them. And the more he bangs, the harder it is for us to actually be respectful. We still take our shoes off when we get inside but reallllly are wanting to keep them on and have a dance party to show him what actual noise sounds like hahaa.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:54 PM

183 posts, read 207,036 times
LOL, "that frat guy" is now in his 40's, with 2 doctoral degrees, a family, and providing constructive feedback to assist in the OP's decision making process. I also added a comment that I grew up in a different environment. So yeah, thanks for making the conclusion that I am still enjoying a fraternity style life.

To the OP, do take care of yourself. If you have tried all feasible options to deal with this neighbor, then the next step is escalation. Calling the police during the next aggressive encounter seems to be warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The frat guy doesn't think it's a big deal that a guy is threatening a group of girls over nothing. What a surprise

Old 08-21-2017, 04:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,067 times
Write the downstairs neighbor a note and *warn* him that you're going to call the police. Cops are dicks these days and it could escalate into something very ugly if they show up when he is in an agitated state. It's better to warn him first.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 PM

But out of curiosity, are any of you girls in the upstairs apartment tall and do you have habits of walking on your heels?

Old 08-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
LOL, "that frat guy" is now in his 40's, with 2 doctoral degrees, a family, and providing constructive feedback to assist in the OP's decision making process. I also added a comment that I grew up in a different environment. So yeah, thanks for making the conclusion that I am still enjoying a fraternity style life.

To the OP, do take care of yourself. If you have tried all feasible options to deal with this neighbor, then the next step is escalation. Calling the police during the next aggressive encounter seems to be warranted.
Ask Justine Damond how calling the police worked out for her. Oh wait, you can't.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:40 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arose15 View Post
We've been documenting all the dates and times (to show that he is unreasonably complaining about noise in the middle of the day - not even during the quiet times). And we sent in recordings of us walking in the home and him IMMEDIATELY pounding.

We did all this to show the HOA and they didn't really have any valid input or help. They said that it just needs to be worked out between the homeowners. So our landlord gave the neighbor her cell number and said to text her rather than pounding. He literally would text her when we weren't even home saying that we are intentionally throwing things on the floor.

So it was kind of pointless to go to the HOA.
Make a note of that. Ask your aunt if she'd be willing to corroborate your statement, should it be necessary at some point in the future.

This, to me, shows signs of a mental illness of some sort. Why was he quiet the entire time your aunt lived there, including during parties, but suddenly falls apart when 3 young post-grads move in? If you do get police involved, it would be important to tell them that he's falsely accusing you of making noise, even when no one is home.

The plot sickens. This is getting stranger.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Ghosts???!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles