Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
I'd rather see DTLA 15 miles West 8 50.00%
I'd rather see DTLA 15 miles North 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:19 PM

65 posts, read 91,927 times

Advertisements

So basically DTLA trading locations with Santa Monica's or Pasadena's. Just remember if you vote west, it'd also include Skid row.

Both locations would give DTLA a more powerful iconic skyline.

I personally voted 15 miles Northeast because i wouldn't want homeless bums wandering into other nearby beach communities since they'd have easy proximity access. Also because it'd prevent dense development by the coast, keeping it more untouched and less crowded.

Lastly, traffic around the metro area would be distributed more effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:47 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times
Ideally, it should be 15/20 miles south nearby where the port is.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
So I could have oceanfront property or be further away from the beach? Easy.

If moved 15 mi West, it would be in the NIMBY's backyards...and me thinks they would do everything possible to eradicate skid row. So I'm not sure that would be a concern.

More realistically speaking, there's no geotechnical reason SaMo can't build upwards and become a respectable "downtown" of its own. Except for NIMBYs.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 PM

Sure Santa Monica can densify but this thread was meant to fantasize the idea of moving literally everything in DTLA like Angel's Flight, Grand Central Market, Staples Center etc and move it over. So nothing would change physically in this hypothetical speaking thread senario.

But i agree with your point that Skidrow would gentrify much easier if it were on the Westside.

One thing forsure is that nobody would want DTLA 15 miles more east than it currently is now. It would only put it further Inland without the gained advantages of being closer to the mountains, nor closer to the beach.

20 miles South wouldn't work ether since the Port is perfectly planned the way it is. No need for more traffic around a vital economic source to the region. LA would just be a bigger San Diego.

I actually think DTLA is centrally locationed fine right now the way it is but this tread is obviously for fun.

Last edited by LuvHighDesert; 08-25-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Why isn't downtown LA a beach town?

Because the "Laws of the Indies" dictated that Spanish New World cities be constructed twenty miles from the sea (to avoid any attacks from pirates), near a freshwater source ("the L.A. River") and close to a native tribe ("for labor").

That explains Olvera Street and its surroundings.

https://www.kcet.org/history-society...t-a-beach-town

Personally, I like Downtown LA just where it is....

Old 08-25-2017, 03:47 PM

^but San Diego and San Francisco were historically developed and populated earlier than LA yet they became coastal. Also Latin America has alot of spanish colonial cities along the coast like Havana, Cuba and San Salvador, El Salvador

I'm surprised to see North might actually win this poll. Feels good.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
I voted West but the best choice would have been South.

But how could "Los Padres" have known there would be a grand port in that location?

Old 08-25-2017, 06:33 PM

I disagree with you about 20 miles South being the best. Sure it has enough flat land to sprawl but i can't imagine the Palos Verdes Coast being more developed than it is right now. Also It's also far away from the foothills that most of SoCal live up against (every suburb along the 210 freeway)

The Long Beach coast isn't really all that sceneic, nobody i know drives there to actually swim on the beach.

Santa Monica is expensive because it has the clean beach water, mountain backdrop, and proximity to all the endless amenities of West LA

Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times
i personally think LA needs to be wiped out and re-started.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Ideally, it should be 15/20 miles south nearby where the port is.
I would put DTLA squarely in the middle of the Basin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighDesert View Post
^but San Diego and San Francisco were historically developed and populated earlier than LA yet they became coastal. Also Latin America has alot of spanish colonial cities along the coast like Havana, Cuba and San Salvador, El Salvador
There might be exceptions but most of the major cities in Latin America are in the mountains. None of the three largest cities/metros in Mexico are on the coast. Also note Bogota and Caracas in South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles