U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2008, 11:52 AM

507 posts, read 1,148,912 times
Default Looking for advice for town to live in Pomona area

I may be taking a new job in Pomona within the next couple of months and I'm looking for some guidance on some towns to live in. I have gotten feedback in regards to the following town as great places to live:

-Chino Hills
-Claremont
-Brea
-Diamond Bar
-Walnut

I also got a chance to check out Old Town Pasadena last weekend and I loved it. I'm a single, well educated, young professional and would like to live in a town with a lot of like minded people. Somewhere where there are a lot of activities going on and educated, professional, single young people. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:17 PM

6,182 posts, read 11,601,957 times
I wouldn't live east of Pomona except for maybe Claremont, the traffic would be horrible. As for towns with well educated, single young professionals, I don't think you're going to find that in the immediate vicinity of Pomona. Brea and Fullerton to the south might be worth looking into since there is a university there, but from my understanding Cal Poly grads get out of Pomona as soon as they graduate. Pasadena is a nice place, but its a pretty good trek to get to Pomona from there, even though it is a reverse commute and traffic probably wouldn't be too bad. You may also want to check the towns east of pasadena like arcadia and monrovia, both are very nice towns that would help cut your commute to pomona while still keep you relatively close to pasadena.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,445,107 times
Hi, I'm an Alumni of Cal Poly. First, Cal Poly is not in Pomona it's just on the outskirts. I lived in that area for two years. The all of the areas you mentioned will be fine. The closest being Walnut. I woukd also suggest West Covina / Covina or San Dimas areas. WC is about ten minutes from Pomona and if you are going there in the morning you'll be going against traffic. The same is true of Diamond Bar and Brea. If you are in Claremont, Montclair or Ontario, you'll get caught in the commuting to L.A. traffic.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 43,803 times
Hello, I grew up near the areas you are inquiring. Walnut, Diamond Bar and Chino Hills are all residential cities filled mostly with educated, upper-middle class families. Not much to do, but perfectly safe. Having grown up in the area, if we were looking for a place to hang out nearby, we'd drive to Old Town Pasadena. In recent years, Claremont has revived the Village with more (non-chain) restaurants, a wine bar and more shops. Brea is another residential area. Nearby Fullerton has a nice Old Town area that's filled with a few jazz clubs, restaurants and bars.

For Pasadena, the commute may be a little awkward. You will be going against the traffic (while on the 210) but I am not sure about the rest of the drive when you will need to switch freeways (57 and 10).

Someone suggested La Verne or San Dimas. This is a great alternative, similar atmosphere as the other cities you've mentioned, but taking side streets to Pomona is easy. And if you have a desire to go to Pasadena, it's a simple jump onto the 210.

Good luck with your move and new job!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 AM

507 posts, read 1,148,912 times
Since I like to be around the action I think Old Town Pasadena would be great. I love that place.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,445,107 times
Old Pasadena is very nice area. You should be okay with the commute. If you are traveling durnig rush hour, you'll be going against traffic biorh ways. That's the way it was when I commuted from L.A. to CSU Pomona.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM

2,316 posts, read 3,977,988 times
Pasadena is too far... unless you like to commute. Try San Dimas or Claremont. I would check out Claremont first, then San Dimas. I don't know much about the other areas you mentioned since I've only driven through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles