Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:35 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

I have few questions visiting from NYC area to California for first time ?

What Malibu California like ?
How Hollywood, Venice Beach and Redo Drive ?
What to expect from locals and most popular attractions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:46 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Visit the Getty, Griffith Observatory, grab cocktails downtown, spend the morning in Venice and the night in Santa Monica. Rodeo Drive is just a strip of retail stores so I'm not sure why one would squander limited time there. Hollywood is also not someplace I'd invest too much time in.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:12 PM

73 posts, read 93,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I have few questions visiting from NYC area to California for first time ?

What Malibu California like ?
How Hollywood, Venice Beach and Redo Drive ?
What to expect from locals and most popular attractions?
Malibu is a beach town, of course if you want to go to the beach, then Malibu is great. Hollywood is a place if you are fan of celebrities. For me, its not a thing, so I would avoid it. However the Hollywood sign and Universal Studios are great too, but still, I wont devote too much time on that. Venice Beach, ehh, I recommend Santa Monica as it has a pier and high end shopping. Locals, that can be difficult to explain. There are different people from different communities that behave differently (crime). The most popular attractions are Santa Monica, Hollywood (especially the walk of fame and the studios, Beverly Hills, Griffith Park. If you are looking for museums, look at the Getty Museum and LACMA, those are good places. If you like shopping (Rodeo Drive has the most expensive shopping in the world), go could go to the Premium Outlets, The Grove, Americana (Part of Glendale Mall).

Old 09-11-2017, 07:06 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Read Wikitravel, tell us how many days you're planning to spend and which attractions you are interested in. Otherwise there are too many - the ones you named barely make a dent.

Malibu is a cool (and expensive) beach town. Not much by way of swimming, as the water is cold, but interesting for a drive/stroll. Lots of fancy cars driving around and maybe even a celeb or three. Malibu Seafood is a well-known institution - fresh fish daily and not stupid expensive (as most other things there are).

I'm not sure what to tell you about Hollywood (I assume you're talking about the Walk of Fame) that you shouldn't already know from pop culture. It's crowded, it's loud, it's commercialized and there are plenty of places there to gawk, be accosted by strangers in costume and spend your money. It's worth an hour as a first-timer, but I wouldn't bother with more. The Griffith observatory is nearby and I would definitely recommend a hike or a drive up to it. Venice is a shiтshow on the boardwalk and surprisingly quiet and pleasant in the Canals district. Abbott Kinney is also a nice stroll. Rodeo Drive is also worth it to say you've been, but, much like GatsbyGatz pointed out, once you've walked the four or so blocks it occupies from Wilshire to Santa Monica, you've seen it all.

Anything else? Do your own research and see what you're interested in, then we'll be able to help with more specifics.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 PM

266 posts, read 271,690 times
Malibu is fun, For seafood Malibu Seafood, Dukes and Neptunes Net (Ventura County) are all fun with different styles. SM is great to visit, especially the pier, easy walk to Venice Beach for the freak show. If you like to walk and enjoy boats you can walk to Marina Del Rey, nothing to do there but fun checking out the boats. Manhattan Beach is a beautiful beach and great for a morning stroll, Redondo and Hermosa are nice too. Hollywood is a mess, but fun to drive through, Griffith Observatory is great, nice views of the Hollywood Sign, great place for a sunset, so is the reservoir which has nice Hollywood sign views. Farmers Market is kind of fun to visit, decent lunch stop there. If you can make reservations on a Thursday or Friday the Nethercutt Collection is awesome. Drive the coast from SM to the Oxnard area, beautiful drive. Also drive Mullholland, beautiful city views and ocean views, also Malibu Canyon is gorgeous. Fun to cruise Bel Air or walk Beverly Hills, beautiful homes, or drive through the tight Hollywood hills, amazing how they buit some of the stuff up there. Enjoy, fun place. Also, check out the schedule at the Hollywood Bowl or the Greek, great places for an outdoor concert in perfect weather.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
...fun to drive through...
You have an interesting definition of "fun". Sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic while construction inevitably rumbles around and you cannot move even when the light is green for fear of hitting some dumbаss who just decided that he's the most important snowflake in the world and so is going to cross the street whether you like it or not is generally not something most people would consider to be fun...

Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM

266 posts, read 271,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You have an interesting definition of "fun". Sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic while construction inevitably rumbles around and you cannot move even when the light is green for fear of hitting some dumbаss who just decided that he's the most important snowflake in the world and so is going to cross the street whether you like it or not is generally not something most people would consider to be fun...
I should say, I like to drive, listen to music I the car plus I avoid peak times as much as possible, thougn I agree and admit, finding non peak traffic flow is getting more difficult to impossible, even the canyons and Mullholland in places that used to be wide open are crowded.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I should say, I like to drive, listen to music I the car plus I avoid peak times as much as possible, thougn I agree and admit, finding non peak traffic flow is getting more difficult to impossible, even the canyons and Mullholland in places that used to be wide open are crowded.
I'm with ya. I like all the same things, but driving through Hollywood (the touristy part, anyways) takes all the fun out of the experience. Especially given I like manuals.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:06 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Malibu is fun, For seafood Malibu Seafood, Dukes and Neptunes Net (Ventura County) are all fun with different styles. SM is great to visit, especially the pier, easy walk to Venice Beach for the freak show. If you like to walk and enjoy boats you can walk to Marina Del Rey, nothing to do there but fun checking out the boats. Manhattan Beach is a beautiful beach and great for a morning stroll, Redondo and Hermosa are nice too. Hollywood is a mess, but fun to drive through, Griffith Observatory is great, nice views of the Hollywood Sign, great place for a sunset, so is the reservoir which has nice Hollywood sign views. Farmers Market is kind of fun to visit, decent lunch stop there. If you can make reservations on a Thursday or Friday the Nethercutt Collection is awesome. Drive the coast from SM to the Oxnard area, beautiful drive. Also drive Mullholland, beautiful city views and ocean views, also Malibu Canyon is gorgeous. Fun to cruise Bel Air or walk Beverly Hills, beautiful homes, or drive through the tight Hollywood hills, amazing how they buit some of the stuff up there. Enjoy, fun place. Also, check out the schedule at the Hollywood Bowl or the Greek, great places for an outdoor concert in perfect weather.
I would echo this precisely

While riding Mouhalland you can catch Runyon Canyon walking trail. Short hike to the top from there. Parking can be tricky. If you park for a minute you'll notice a hiker leaving. Take their spot

Go to Venice during the daytime. Santa Monica Pier at night (bring A jacket)t

If youre looking for a beach Manhattan is the one (or Huntington)

Downtown LA is cool. If you go on a weekday visit City Hall and check out observation deck on top floor (free). Santee Alley has TONS of cheap goods worth checking outt
Lots of hip new bars downtown for nightlife (but watch yourself cuz skid row bums will roll you up)

Drive Sunset (and Mouhalland Drive) from 1 end to the other.
Sunset you'll see all of Hollywood that you'll need

Watch yourself in Beverly Hills. The red light camera tickets are $500. If youre in a rental double that

Bring a few rolls of quarters for parking. Pay CLOSE attention to parking signs

Locals are mainly self absorbed pricks. Unless you are a hot chick or drive Bentley don't expect much conversation there

Have Fun!

Last edited by (901); 09-12-2017 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
watch yourself in beverly hills. The red light camera tickets are $500. If youre in a rental double that
huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles