Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:07 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

99% of these people are hucksters. Here's yet another example:

"Neighbor report: door knockers impersonating Samo Hi students in fund raising scam.

"We have learned that young people posing as Samohi students are going door to door asking for donations or selling magazine subscriptions allegedly supporting the Samohi Regional Occupational Program (ROP).

This message is to inform you that the Samohi ROP program is not currently conducting a magazine fundraiser or seeking donations door to door, and we would like to caution you about this scam. Some of our student clubs and booster organizations will conduct fundraisers, including magazine sales, however, they will always have Samohi student photo identification available for proof. " This was reported on NextDoor today."

If we all stop giving money to these people, they'll stop pestering us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
99% of legitimate charities are hucksters.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
99% of legitimate charities are hucksters.
I'd say the number is higher.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Where I used to live in West L.A there were often people running scams. There was an older guy that would say he was a USC student and needed to get back to campus .

The guy that would ask for gas money ,etc.

I would see people giving them money so I'm guessing they did pretty well.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 AM

Yeah, I remember the gas money people. There were also the broken fan belt or hose people who would walk around with one as a prop, pretending they just needed a few dollars more so they could go to Pep Boys and get a new one.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:12 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Where I used to live in West L.A there were often people running scams. There was an older guy that would say he was a USC student and needed to get back to campus .

The guy that would ask for gas money ,etc.

I would see people giving them money so I'm guessing they did pretty well.
In my experience, for some reason they always seem to need to get to Riverside.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:00 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
I don't care how destitute the people approaching me on the street look or how worthy their (alleged) cause. I come from a country in which panhandling is a profession well supported by organized crime, so no thanks. I'll give to the charities I personally support and will occasionally leave a disproportionate tip at a restaurant "just 'cuz". Oh, and I once gave a twenty to a good-natured homeless dude in Downtown because I was in a good mood. I saw him next to our office building every day and he recognized me enough to say hi, but I viewed that as more of an investment - our neighborhood was kinda shady (near Skid Row) and I figured that it would be helpful to have someone on my side in case I got accosted on my way to the subway from a late night at the office. Twenty-two-year-old logic, I know.

Everyone else can go suck on a spike.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 PM

1,485 posts, read 953,788 times
I made a stop at 3 places today inside of 2 hours. I first went to Tam's for breakfast. I guy in sunglasses kneeling on the ground in front of the store beside Tam's outright asked me to buy him a burger. I told him I wasn't sure if I'd have the funds to feed myself FIRST!

Second stop- After Tam's I stopped at Target. Got out of my car and was approached by an able-bodied male who asked if I had any spare change. I told him I don't use cash. He approached me again upon exiting the store walking to my car.

Third stop- 7-11, parked, got out of car, walked toward the door, older disheveled female, sitting on the ground in front of Lee's asked me for a dollar. I told her I don't carry cash on me.

What is with this crap? At least the first two guys can get hired somewhere even if it's a warehouse job. What I really hate is when you park they'll walk up to your car waiting to accost you before you ever open the car door. This is BS!

Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I made a stop at 3 places today inside of 2 hours. I first went to Tam's for breakfast. I guy in sunglasses kneeling on the ground in front of the store beside Tam's outright asked me to buy him a burger. I told him I wasn't sure if I'd have the funds to feed myself FIRST!

Second stop- After Tam's I stopped at Target. Got out of my car and was approached by an able-bodied male who asked if I had any spare change. I told him I don't use cash. He approached me again upon exiting the store walking to my car.

Third stop- 7-11, parked, got out of car, walked toward the door, older disheveled female, sitting on the ground in front of Lee's asked me for a dollar. I told her I don't carry cash on me.

What is with this crap? At least the first two guys can get hired somewhere even if it's a warehouse job. What I really hate is when you park they'll walk up to your car waiting to accost you before you ever open the car door. This is BS!
Where did all this happen?

Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I had a guy once walk up as I was pulling in to the gas station and pointed at my front tire excitedly like it was flat. When I stopped to look at it, it was fine and he asked for money "to eat." I didn't respond and as I got back in my car he said I was racist for not giving him money.

I think working in Hollywood has made me overly callous to street people. It's a constant assault if I don't have my earphones in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles