Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:59 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
There's a benefit of a new business in the region. There's certainly nothing negative about it as far as the region is concerned.
I doubt there will be much new business, except for maybe some vendors in the parking lots and stands 1 day a week for 8 weeks a year (10 counting preseason). Whether that makes up for the police overtime, is a study for an economist, preferably an independent one not paid for by the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I doubt there will be much new business, except for maybe some vendors in the parking lots and stands 1 day a week for 8 weeks a year (10 counting preseason). Whether that makes up for the police overtime, is a study for an economist, preferably an independent one not paid for by the team.
There are a lot of things economists disagree about, but the economic impact of sports stadiums (or teams) isn't one of them. The consensus is there is no impact.

The biggest reason sports teams don’t have much impact is that they don’t tend to spur new spending. Most people have a limited entertainment budget, so the dollars they are spending when they go to a game is money they would have spent elsewhere, maybe even at a restaurant or small businesses where more money would have stayed in the community.

The National Fraud League (NFL) has been quite adept over the years at scamming taxpayers in various cities into footing the bill to build stadiums with public dollars.

Glad to see the Rams/Chargers stadium will be built with private funds. Otherwise I don't particularly care...the last NFL game I attended was the Los Angeles Rams when they were playing at Anaheim Stadium in the 80's.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
Quote:
Of course there will be. There are several new millionaires in the region now. Not just today, but going forward with new draft picks. They will buy real estate, spend money in the region and try to grow their own individual brands. The Chargers will do their share of community improvement in the region like our other sports teams do, they'll draw local and opposing fans to spend money in LA and Inglewood. They are bringing several high salary office positions with them.

How is this bad for the LA region again?

Old 09-17-2017, 11:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
On a positive note, it was great to see Gates break the record, so happy for him. On another note, new city, new logo, new coach, new OC, talented players are all healthy, yet same outcome, they can't win a game in the fourth quarter to save their lives...no excuses now.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
On a positive note, it was great to see Gates break the record, so happy for him. On another note, new city, new logo, new coach, new OC, talented players are all healthy, yet same outcome, they can't win a game in the fourth quarter to save their lives...no excuses now.
That kicker man! Such a rough way to lose. They really had that game.

They'll get the next one.

Chargers have been a field goal away twice in a row now.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is funny .

--
Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti went on “The Dan Patrick Show” Wednesday to discuss the NFL in LA and relocation. In a very interesting interview, Garcetti tellingly said he believed the now-Los Angeles Chargers probably should have stayed in San Diego.

Wow. Garcetti basically just said, “I mean we’ll take them but they shouldn’t have come here.” When was the last time you heard the mayor of a city with a newly-relocated sports franchise say that? I’m gonna go with never.
Even LA Mayor Eric Garcetti Thinks The Chargers Should Have Stayed In San Diego | The Big Lead
Maybe he says that because none of them are illegals and he doesn't know how to handle so many legals asending on his city all at once? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
How does a team playing in Carson before moving to Inglewood benefit LA? Rams possibly have some benefit before they move to Inglewood (although it would be interesting to see taxes paid vs expenses of police overtime). The Chargers are no benefit to the city.
Of course they are; both teams are. It isn't just about the tax money, it is tourism, it is the number of players that might relocate to the city, it is so many things. Having 2 teams so close to the city limits will be a huge benefit to the city. As for the police, since when will the LAPD be part of the police protection in another city?

Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Of course there will be. There are several new millionaires in the region now. Not just today, but going forward with new draft picks. They will buy real estate, spend money in the region and try to grow their own individual brands. The Chargers will do their share of community improvement in the region like our other sports teams do, they'll draw local and opposing fans to spend money in LA and Inglewood. They are bringing several high salary office positions with them.

How is this bad for the LA region again?
You sure are drinking that NFL Kool-Aid!

Most professional athletes do not live where they play, so most of their income is not spent locally. Moreover, players make inflated salaries for only a few years, so they have high savings.

A new sports facility or team has an extremely small effect on overall economic activity and employment. Adding a few millionaires to LA County's 10 million population is a drop in the bucket.

Creating a stadium to employ a few millionaires and a bunch of low wage concession stand jobs is a horrible economic development strategy. If you enjoy the games then by all means go see a game but don't sell the Roger Goodell con job that this is an economic boon to the region.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
On Saturday the Coliseum was sold out. It seats 93,607 people. I was at the game and I can tell you it was packed. '

Then again USC owns Los Angeles. (Ok, so some of you might be UCLA fans. I get that. USC owns Pasadena too. LOL)

I have not seen a lot of interest in either the Rams or the Chargers. I am in Oxnard though and from what I see the fans are more into Raiders or Cowboys, both teams that have trained in Oxnard. This past week the Dolphins trained in Oxnard but the only Dolphin fan I know is my sister. Maybe it is different in Los Angeles. Maybe it is too early to tell. One thing is for sure, the USC Trojans have a very large fan base that is all over Southern California.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
You sure are drinking that NFL Kool-Aid!

Most professional athletes do not live where they play, so most of their income is not spent locally. Moreover, players make inflated salaries for only a few years, so they have high savings.

A new sports facility or team has an extremely small effect on overall economic activity and employment. Adding a few millionaires to LA County's 10 million population is a drop in the bucket.

Creating a stadium to employ a few millionaires and a bunch of low wage concession stand jobs is a horrible economic development strategy. If you enjoy the games then by all means go see a game but don't sell the Roger Goodell con job that this is an economic boon to the region.

This is LA! All sorts of athletes have homes here, even athletes that don't play for an LA team. Future athletes that would have lived in SD will now be living in LA. Are you serious? Do you not understand that?

It's a drop in the bucket, but it's not a negative. There is no way LA loses with the Chargers coming to town. LA isn't spending a dime for them to come here. They are another entertainment option.

This isn't the Midwest where are use taxpayer funds for these teams. They are coming on their own building everything their own money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles