Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,104,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol a judge already put a stop to Sessions withholding grants to sanctuary cities/states
Judge rules in city's favor on sanctuary cities, grants nationwide injunction - Chicago Tribune
As if rulings from there are a shocker. Remember that it can be appealed to the SCOTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
As if rulings from there are a shocker. Remember that it can be appealed to the SCOTUS.
Who said it can't? But there's a good chance the court would rule that it violates the anti-coercion doctrine just like they did in this case:

NFIB v. Sebelius (2012), the Supreme Court found that Congress violated the anti-coercion doctrine. Specifically, in the Affordable Care Act, Congress withheld 100% of states’ Medicaid funding if they didn’t expand those programs. A court plurality characterized this as a coercive “gun to the head” because it involved a loss of over $233 billion dollars — more than 20% of states’ budgets.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Not talking about regular officers, but police chiefs etc. If LAPD chief Charlie Beck started coming out and started disagreeing with the Mayor you think he'd keep his $300,000+ a year job for long?

I've heard that argument before but it's weak. Show me people that have been deported for reporting a crime. Also how do we know illegals are or aren't reporting crime if we aren't even keeping track of immigration status?
You say "that increases the crime rate" but you simply can't prove that.

The fact is this law will have criminals going back to the streets of CA rather than being deported.

As a former law enforcement officer you know that a good percentage of people that go back to the streets commit more crimes.
Of course they will say they are committing 'minor crimes' , but it's still crime. Also I'm sure you know that some people commit 'minor crimes' and in the future commit 'serious crimes'.
You said "L.A law enforcement is supporting it to keep their jobs of course" I didn't put those words in your mouth.

Everyone who works in law enforcement know that if the people in a community are afraid to report crime or testify against criminals it encourages the predators to commit even more crimes, you don't need data to support that it's good old common sense.

Yes, some people who commit minor crimes re-offend and go on to commit serious crimes but that isn't just illegal immigrants it's our own citizens and we don't keep them locked up for minor offenses as some kind of "crime prevention tool". A good number of drunk drivers re-offend and some of them go on to kill people while they are driving under the influence, should we sentence them to life in prison 'just in case' they might end up killing someone?

As I said ICE can gain custody of any prisoner they want with a warrant, or they can wait outside the jail and pick people up when they are released. It's not rocket science, all jails release people at particular set times usually twice a day. ICE is angry because they want to sit back in their office and phone in detention requests and then half the time they don't even bother to pick them up. Police Departments in almost every state have raised objections to ICE detainers and DHS won't do a damn thing to give the detainers the force of law by having them signed by a judge.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,104,272 times
Quote:
Who said it can't? But there's a good chance the court would rule that it violates the anti-coercion doctrine just like they did in this case:

NFIB v. Sebelius (2012), the Supreme Court found that Congress violated the anti-coercion doctrine. Specifically, in the Affordable Care Act, Congress withheld 100% of states’ Medicaid funding if they didn’t expand those programs. A court plurality characterized this as a coercive “gun to the head” because it involved a loss of over $233 billion dollars — more than 20% of states’ budgets.
Inapplicable; it doesn’t apply when Congress (or another branch) merely requests information. See Reno v. Condon (2000), where the Court unanimously rejected an anti-commandeering challenge to the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act, which required states under certain circumstances to disclose some personal details about license holders.

Oops. I can't do that because sensitive.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Inapplicable; it doesn’t apply when Congress (or another branch) merely requests information. See Reno v. Condon (2000), where the Court unanimously rejected an anti-commandeering challenge to the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act, which required states under certain circumstances to disclose some personal details about license holders.

Oops. I can't do that because sensitive.
Not even close to the same issue because it did not involve the feds withholding funds to states to coerce behavior.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I would rather deport transplants from out of state than illegals.

Yes, I have two of those two houses down from me. Terrible people, both work and don't rely on the state for anything, and have their cars now with CA license plates....and wait for it.....CAR INSURANCE.

Much better to have people driving around in vehicles with no insurance, bald tires, and crap on the back of their truck ready to fly out at any minute.....much better.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,391,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, I have two of those two houses down from me. Terrible people, both work and don't rely on the state for anything, and have their cars now with CA license plates....and wait for it.....CAR INSURANCE.

Much better to have people driving around in vehicles with no insurance, bald tires, and crap on the back of their truck ready to fly out at any minute.....much better.
We have lowered our standards to make things more accommodating for people used to living in third world conditions .
This has lowered quality of life for everyone.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We have lowered our standards to make things more accommodating for people used to living in third world conditions .
This has lowered quality of life for everyone.
Yes, it does.

I know someone who had a "fender bender" with an illegal woman.

She had a man in the car who was quite demanding to see all my friend's information. When my friend asked her about her license the response was "she's working on that".....LOL.

They dug through the glove compartment and presented a piece of paper from Freeway Insurance, surprise surprise when my friend called Freeway it was an expired policy.

So yes I have to agree, it lowers the quailty for everyone. I am amazed sometimes at what I see going down the freeway, these old trucks with unsecured crap in the bed of the truck. Where is CHP????

Old 09-17-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You said "L.A law enforcement is supporting it to keep their jobs of course" I didn't put those words in your mouth.

Everyone who works in law enforcement know that if the people in a community are afraid to report crime or testify against criminals it encourages the predators to commit even more crimes, you don't need data to support that it's good old common sense.

Yes, some people who commit minor crimes re-offend and go on to commit serious crimes but that isn't just illegal immigrants it's our own citizens and we don't keep them locked up for minor offenses as some kind of "crime prevention tool". A good number of drunk drivers re-offend and some of them go on to kill people while they are driving under the influence, should we sentence them to life in prison 'just in case' they might end up killing someone?

As I said ICE can gain custody of any prisoner they want with a warrant, or they can wait outside the jail and pick people up when they are released. It's not rocket science, all jails release people at particular set times usually twice a day. ICE is angry because they want to sit back in their office and phone in detention requests and then half the time they don't even bother to pick them up. Police Departments in almost every state have raised objections to ICE detainers and DHS won't do a damn thing to give the detainers the force of law by having them signed by a judge.
You're right about that, but why bring in more trash? Plenty of homegrown.

The problem with the USA is that unlike other countries people walk over the border, drive in, fly in with round trip tickets but only go one way(to the US), and no follow up.

Try doing that in other countries. In Australia you cannot move there unless you can show financial proof that you have the means to live there and won't be dependent on their govt.

Ireland was starting to be overrun(especially in Dublin) with Nigeriians and Romanians, dropping babies who were now Irish citizens....NOT ANYMORE.

Both parents must be Irish citizens for at least 2 years.

Only in America do we allow an influx of people who don't play by the rules and think they're entitled to be here.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, it does.
I know someone who had a "fender bender" with an illegal woman.
She had a man in the car who was quite demanding to see all my friend's information. When my friend asked her about her license the response was "she's working on that".....LOL.
They dug through the glove compartment and presented a piece of paper from Freeway Insurance, surprise surprise when my friend called Freeway it was an expired policy.
So yes I have to agree, it lowers the quailty for everyone. I am amazed sometimes at what I see going down the freeway, these old trucks with unsecured crap in the bed of the truck. Where is CHP????
Oh please stop.
Do all unauthorized immigrants get AB60 licenses and buy insurance? Of course not, but all citizens don't get licenses and insurance either. There are 30,440,000 adults in California. DMV has issued 26,484,646 licenses, so that leaves 4 million adults who are unlicensed, add to that the 500,000 who are presumably driving on suspended licenses. 14.7% of drivers in California are uninsured so if you calculate that just on the number of licensed drivers (ignoring the large number who are neither licensed or insured) there are 3,893,243 licensed drivers who are uninsured in the state.

There are about 2.3 -2.6 million undocumented immigrants in California. 500,000 are children not born in the US leaving an adult population of 1,800,000. 900,000 AB 60 licenses have been issued. That is a fairly significant number considering the propensity of undocumented people to fly under the radar and involve contact with the government for any reason.

A Stanford study, released Monday, estimated that the rate of hit-and-runs decreased at least 7% in 2015 compared with 2014. Using a complex formula, the researchers concluded that there were 4,000 fewer hit-and-runs that year because of the new law.

I'm not sure why it bothers you that the state issues driver's licenses to non-citizens, they pay for the licenses, they take a driving and a written test and the license does not give them voting rights or change their immigrant status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles