Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,807,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Lived near LA - Torrance. Really bad traffic, congested, crime (grocery store multiple murders) earthquake tremors. Only lived there due to work. Prefer Tampa. Lower cost of living, has everything I need but less people to have to share it with.
Must have been a long time ago

Torrance A- crime rating

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Tampa F crime rating

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 10:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,471,399 times
Here's LA from that site:

Seems any big city gets an F (I checked Denver, Seattle, and San Francisco too, all F).

Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Here's LA from that site:

Seems any big city gets an F (I checked Denver, Seattle, and San Francisco too, all F).
Yes, the more people in a city the more crime. My only point is that Torrance is a very safe city compared to national averages and the other poster was making it out like the murder capital of the world

Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,335,022 times
Kayaked, biked almost 10 miles, now sitting in the sunshine @ 1 pm today enjoying life. Guess I'm acclimated. Doesn't bother me - seem to be getting used to the climate here.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Stay in Tampa. 45K per year in LA is like 22K a year in Tampa.

Retype your original post so people can actually read it.
Tax rate is signicantly higher as well.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,091,151 times
Unless you have built significant equity in your 2014 home and can carry that into a DP on a home in LA, this would not be a wise move financially. Tampa is incredibly cheap in comparison to LA. Not only are housing costs 3x, you'll be hit with increased income taxes, special taxes, vehicle registration fees, insurance rates, and other expenses that will nickle and dime you.

As another poster said, you're going to need to double your net pay just to life a similar lifestyle as you have in Tampa.

I suggest using your excess funds to travel more instead of moving. Visit a bunch of cities. Who knows, maybe you'll fall in even greater love with a city that doesn't have the high COL as Los Angeles.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Unless you have built significant equity in your 2014 home and can carry that into a DP on a home in LA, this would not be a wise move financially. Tampa is incredibly cheap in comparison to LA. Not only are housing costs 3x, you'll be hit with increased income taxes, special taxes, vehicle registration fees, insurance rates, and other expenses that will nickle and dime you.

As another poster said, you're going to need to double your net pay just to life a similar lifestyle as you have in Tampa.

I suggest using your excess funds to travel more instead of moving. Visit a bunch of cities. Who knows, maybe you'll fall in even greater love with a city that doesn't have the high COL as Los Angeles.
Outstanding advice. i was going to pose the travel recommendation as well. I guess some jobs don't give a person much off time to do that, but maybe once a year take a trip to a major city in the US and enjoy what it has to offer.

BTW, our city (Tampa, STP has major league sports at a fraction of the price of LA sports tickets, we have Broadway plays, a symphony, a top-rated international airport, some of the country's best beaches within 30 mins drive and a fraction of the traffic that other cities have).

Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post

Florida has no income tax so that will be a big hit especially when the only person with a job will be making the same salary in LA that they were in Tampa. All those other expenses add up fast. Don't forget the nearly 10% sales tax.

My parents have lived in the Tampa area for 15+ years so I've been there many times. It's a perfectly nice mid size city and I've seen it grow leaps and bounds in every way since my parents moved there. There is a lot of people moving there from the North East , the job market has grown, there are much better options for restaurants, shopping, night life etc then there once was. But for two people in their mid 20's this would be the time to take a chance if they want to. They can easily go back to Tampa after a year if it doesn't work out.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,326,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thanks for the laugh, Tampa has no crime.....LOL.

Of course Tampa has a lower COL, it will be 93 today with 70% humidity. It will be like that well into November.

Tampa has nice weather from Dec into early March, the rest of the time it's miserable.
It is so bad more people move to FL from other States than to CA.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,326,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Florida has no income tax so that will be a big hit especially when the only person with a job will be making the same salary in LA that they were in Tampa. All those other expenses add up fast. Don't forget the nearly 10% sales tax.

My parents have lived in the Tampa area for 15+ years so I've been there many times. It's a perfectly nice mid size city and I've seen it grow leaps and bounds in every way since my parents moved there. There is a lot of people moving there from the North East , the job market has grown, there are much better options for restaurants, shopping, night life etc then there once was. But for two people in their mid 20's this would be the time to take a chance if they want to. They can easily go back to Tampa after a year if it doesn't work out.
Yes, they better like to do things near where they will live as traffic and crowding and cost will limit what they can do on their budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles