Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Sterile just means all corperate. A family spot replaced by a starbucks or expensive restaraunt.

And no, I've been to a dope Irish pub. So White =/= sterile..
Ok I see your point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 04:50 PM

567 posts, read 431,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Nobody in the city council is concerned that the food could be a health risk ?
There won't be any limits to how many carts there are or where they are located ?

It's funny this is all done to protect these "immigrants" from ICE or Trump or the Boogieman .
There are plenty of MS13 gang bangers in L.A and other bad hombres .

I don't see ICE going after the hot dog guy or the dude selling oranges or lady selling flowers on the corner .

This is just more "symbolism " from our lovely over paid ($180k year) city council .

We can't keep being a dumping ground for the world's poor .

Also how many of these "entrepreneurs " are paying taxes ?
--
While the act of selling hotdogs, fruits and other products on Los Angeles sidewalks is no longer a crime, vendors could still be cited with a misdemeanor if they are operating in public parks.

Activists say this means that despite the city’s efforts, many vendors who are in the country illegally could still be slapped with a criminal offense that could be used as a reason for federal immigration officials to deport them.

Citing those concerns, three Los Angeles City Council members began the process this week toward reducing penalties for vending in public parks, beaches and recreation areas from a misdemeanor to an administrative violation.

LA leaders want to bring street vendors ‘out of the shadows.’ Here’s their latest move – Daily News
You sound so alarming. I live in LA and don't see a big problem with street vendors and food trucks. I bet half the food trucks aren't even owned and operated by Latino's. A few years ago you'd see food trucks and street vendors everywhere, but those days are gone. It's just to damn expensive to live in LA, even for street vendors and food truck operators. Also, if ICE wants to target illegal alien street vendors, food truck operators, MS13 gang bangers, etc, I doubt there's anything the city could do to stop them.

Last edited by Angelino19; 04-22-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 04:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
You sound so alarming. I live in LA and don't see a big problem with street vendors and food trucks. I bet half the food trucks aren't even owned and operated by Latino's. A few years ago you'd see food trucks and street vendors everywhere, but those days are gone. It's just to damn expensive to live in LA, even for street vendors and food truck operators.
What part of L.A do you live in ? There are still a lot around . Still a lot of low income folks around because of rent control and people willing to live several to a room .

Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What part of L.A do you live in ? There are still a lot around . Still a lot of low income folks around because of rent control and people willing to live several to a room .
There are lots of low income people in every city. LA is not unique in that respect. If you watch the news you'll see how quickly these rent control buildings are disappearing to make way for more expensive, modern apartment complexes(i.e. the Westlake and Pico Union areas), it's not just illegal aliens living in crowded conditions ("like several to a room"). This phenomenon is happening throughout the city because we have the highest rental prices in the country.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
How come Halal Brothers and sometimes the Açaí bowl trucks can sling their crap out of a truck right across the street from rent paying restaurants? I saw it all weekend.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
There are lots of low income people in every city. LA is not unique in that respect. If you watch the news you'll see how quickly these rent control buildings are disappearing to make way for more expensive, modern apartment complexes(i.e. the Westlake and Pico Union areas), it's not just illegal aliens living in crowded conditions ("like several to a room"). This phenomenon is happening throughout the city because we have the highest rental prices in the country.
Yeah I have seen it too having been born and raised in this city .
Things change slowly though do to rent control and L.A being notoriously difficult and expensive to build in .

Different parts of the city have become more desirable over time . I don’t think it’s great for lower income tenants to have to move because of redevelopment but at the same time I don’t think private landlords should be forced to rent their building out for half the market rents forever if there is an opportunity to redevelop the property .
Also tenants in rent controlled buildings are entitled to about $7,000-20,000 in L.A by law which is unheard of in most of the country .

Most of the country it’s “sorry you gotta move “

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
How come Halal Brothers and sometimes the Açaí bowl trucks can sling their crap out of a truck right across the street from rent paying restaurants? I saw it all weekend.
Yeah doesn’t seem right . It costs a fortune to rent retail space in L.A
I’m guessing even a small restaurant is going to be $200,000 or so investment .
I wouldn’t be happy if I had a place and a food truck was right outside.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing .

It's all about "Immigrants" (only illegal ones of course)
and sometimes the homeless . But I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of homeless illegals .
When you see a group of homeless people drinking and speaking in Spanish , makes you wonder .
In 2016 the LA times reported the homeless population of LA was 39% Afro-American, 27% Latino, and 26% White.

While Latino's make up 48% of the counties population they only account for 27% of the homeless population. On the other hand, Whites make up 28% of the counties population and 26% of the homeless. Blacks are 9% of the counties population and account for 39% of the homeless.

Based on my observations alone, 90% of the homeless in my area (East valley - NoHo, Studio City, Universal Studios, Lake Hollywood area), are white. Having said that, the homeless problem does not discriminate based on race and affects every community in our city.

Last edited by Angelino19; 04-22-2018 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah doesn’t seem right . It costs a fortune to rent retail space in L.A
I’m guessing even a small restaurant is going to be $200,000 or so investment .
I wouldn’t be happy if I had a place and a food truck was right outside.
I agree. Food trucks should be prohibited from taking space in front or close (I'd say 100 feet) to a walk-in restaurants.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:53 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Because it's Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles