Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,673 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to reach out for some advice and help.

I have been living in my apartment for over a year and a half now, and recently I was told by my landlords that they want me to move out. The reason being, one of their fathers had fallen down the stairs and cannot take care of themselves. So the father has been living with them, and it has complicated their daily life. They essentially want to kick me out and move their father into my unit, which is on the first floor of a 2-story unit. I love my apartment and I really dont want to move out, but I've done some research and it looks like its legal for them to evict me for their parents occupation, as long as they file a Declaration of Intent for Owner/Family Occupancy and provide relocation fees.

However, that being said, today I called the Los Angeles Housing + Community Investment Department, and they told me the unit I am living in is an illegal dwelling spot with unapproved conversions. They said since it's an illegal apartment, they cannot legally evict me and techichally they should not be collecting rent.

As of now I'm really sure what to do. The landlords are waiting for my response, and are asking how much time I need to find a new place. They said they could help with the move, but I don't think they are talking about relocation fees. If I can, I would like to stay here, but I'm unsure if it's legal to stay in a illegal apartment.

Any advice or insight to this would be very helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
you should start looking for a new place

Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 PM

472 posts, read 325,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straub View Post
they told me the unit I am living in is an illegal dwelling spot with unapproved conversions. They said since it's an illegal apartment, they cannot legally evict me and techichally they should not be collecting rent.
If you wanted to play hardball you could refuse to move out, make them evict you, then lawyer up on contingency, sue and then expect to collect about $10,000.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:36 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Start looking for a new place. Come up with a fair relocation fee and talk to them about it. Get it all in writing.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
How much notice are they giving you? It sounds like they are trying to be reasonable -- the explanation is reasonable, and they are not trying to be dicks about it. Just be nice and work with them.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:33 PM

Looking around forums it seems like most people in same situation have been able to get $10k out if the landlord. I'd start negotiations there and look into a lawyer in case

Old 10-14-2017, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,673 times
Hi all,

Many thanks for the responses.

Since our contract states that after 1 year, the lease turns into a month to month contract, am I still entitled to a relocation fee? A written eviction notice has not been sent and everything has only be verbally stated as of now. If respond back and try to negotiate a relocation fee, couldn’t they technically just give me the 60 day notice to evict and not have to pay the relocation fee?

Not really sure what part the illegal dwelling falls into all of this.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straub View Post
Hi all,

Many thanks for the responses.

Since our contract states that after 1 year, the lease turns into a month to month contract, am I still entitled to a relocation fee? A written eviction notice has not been sent and everything has only be verbally stated as of now. If respond back and try to negotiate a relocation fee, couldn’t they technically just give me the 60 day notice to evict and not have to pay the relocation fee?

Not really sure what part the illegal dwelling falls into all of this.
based on quick 5 minute research I did online you can't legally have a lease or contract with the landlord since the dwelling is illegal. If you report them they will have to bring the place up to code which will likely be much more then $10k and they can't evict you since you are in an illegal dwelling. So them giving you $10k is reasonable since it will be the cheap way out for them. Depending on how much your moving costs are and how much you need to put down on a new place (first month and deposit etc) then you could easily be out several thousand which should't be your responsibility. If I was you I'd just find a good lawyer that handles these things and preceding from there. If they get a max payout for you it will be well worth their fees.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:33 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
How much notice are they giving you? It sounds like they are trying to be reasonable -- the explanation is reasonable, and they are not trying to be dicks about it. Just be nice and work with them.
I agree with this. They have a legitimate reason to ask you to leave and if you are on month to month all they have to do is give you notice. Work something out with the landlord and move on with your life. No need for bad karma.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:01 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
I doubt that they would give you any more than 2 months rent in relocation. And maybe nothing if you were to ask for 10K! After all, they aren't breaking a contract or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: