U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 10,211,631 times
Reputation: 7983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
No. You are unfamiliar with German temper.
Actually, I am very familiar with German temper and suffer from it.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-30-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2017, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Fullerton, California, USA
6 posts, read 11,932 times
Reputation: 52
The points made here are very well-taken. People do tend to gravitate towards people with similar interests or mentalities as them, especially if language barrier is a factor -- it's not "I don't want to talk to you because you're not Chinese," it's "It's less easy to talk to you because you're not Chinese so you might not understand what I'd say."

Also, in retrospect, I was too severe and judgemental towards Arcadia residents of Chinese descent in general. They're not snobby -- what's wrong with being good at business or being sure to get good grades in school, anyways? If someone wants to develop or buy a mini-mansion like that, why not? Since they can afford it, those houses are actually very nice, impeccable, and aesthetically-pleasing inside and out. (By the way all of this applies to culture in my opinion of Japan, Korea, and Vietnam, in addition.)

Also, I definitely understand the point of instilled culture giving way to not showing emotions. I'm of mostly Spanish and Italian heritage, with a good amount of French descent, and a little Portuguese and Greek thrown in there, and I'm first-generation-American. The Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Greek in me frightens many, many people, in the majority of Southern California, and in the majority of the USA for that matter, because I wear my emotions on my sleeve, I'm completely honest with everyone, I speak loudly, and am very enthusiastic to socialize with people wherever I go, and hope to make solid friends -- so I learned a long time ago I have to be careful with people who think this all translates to being a crazy stupid person that's easy to swindle and take advantage of, learned that the hard way -- and other people look at me (even often in Fullerton) with frightened eyes, a very fake exaggerated smile and forced "That's good. We'll be seein' ya" then backing away -- can't count how many times I've gotten that exact reaction in my life. It's things like this that make me feel more at home when I go to Spain and Italy, and part of why a piece of my heart gets left behind there everytime I fly back to the States. Then there's the French component in me -- people think I'm freakishly polite here wherever I go -- thinking and expressing to me "why are you not burping loudly, chugging beers, cussing, and telling people off like the rest of us? Why are you saying please, thank you, and sorry for everything? There's something very wrong with you, weirdo" but that's me UNTIL I know a person better, then the VERY loud, extroverted, carefree, spontaneous, emotional Mediterranean me REALLY comes out. I'm also not a workaholic like most people, in fact, I think life's too short to spend all day everyday doing labor, then showing off shiny gadgets. But there I go being critical again, now of most of the modern-day USA. It's a really long way of saying I completely understand that you have your own cultural viewpoints -- Chinese Arcadians included -- and I respect that, and while I'm at it I'll add that I think people -- especially now in 2017 -- should take into account more that cultural upbringing and genes cultivate a person and their way of thinking, and people should respect each other's differences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 04:44 PM
 
Location: San Fernando Valley
240 posts, read 209,990 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
Safety is great. My problem is the personalities we encountered so far. Most are Conservative, robotic and quite rude. Why would you say that La Canada Flintridge will break my heart. Elaborate on your reasons please.

It's not that I think Liberal and fun are mutually exclusive. When I lived in PV Estates, my neighborhood was an older, Conservative, Republican crowd. They definitely were very private people. People didn't get together for block parties, bbq's or really even get to know one another like in San Francisco. I can only compare my experiences in the places I have lived. Each town has it's qualities and Arcadia is just not a good fit.
I think that they were saying La Canada would break your heart because it has a lot of the same high pressure for high performing kids as Arcadia does, even if it's less Asian over there. Just a guess though.

Most people choose La Canada Flintridge for the public schools, but it sounds like you have already decided to go private... so I'm curious what made you choose it or Pasadena?

Have you considered maybe Burbank? It seems to fit a lot of the neighborhood stuff you're looking for. Magnolia Park jumps off my head as a neighborhood with block parties, bbqs, bike riding, and local events. And since you don't plan on using the schools, it might not matter that they aren't 10s like La Canada or Arcadia (although their schools are also respected if you public).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 AM
 
101 posts, read 282,046 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post
I think that they were saying La Canada would break your heart because it has a lot of the same high pressure for high performing kids as Arcadia does, even if it's less Asian over there. Just a guess though.

Most people choose La Canada Flintridge for the public schools, but it sounds like you have already decided to go private... so I'm curious what made you choose it or Pasadena?

Have you considered maybe Burbank? It seems to fit a lot of the neighborhood stuff you're looking for. Magnolia Park jumps off my head as a neighborhood with block parties, bbqs, bike riding, and local events. And since you don't plan on using the schools, it might not matter that they aren't 10s like La Canada or Arcadia (although their schools are also respected if you public).
Well we're open to private school, if we want to live in Pasadena. The reason we ended up in Arcadia was because the public schools are good. Plus my husband's commute to Glendora wouldn't be too bad. So Burbank would be too far. He may also work in Rancho Cucamonga sometimes. The reason we love both Pasadena and LCF is because of the beauty of the homes and streets. It's all the old growth, winding streets and feeling of serenity. You can feel the history and forget you are in LA. You could be in Cranbrook, Michigan.

We just went to an open house in Chino Hills today in the Vellano Country Club community. I mean, it's all nice and pretty new. But I don't know...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,443 posts, read 27,223,853 times
Reputation: 7452
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
Well we're open to private school, if we want to live in Pasadena. The reason we ended up in Arcadia was because the public schools are good. Plus my husband's commute to Glendora wouldn't be too bad. So Burbank would be too far. He may also work in Rancho Cucamonga sometimes. The reason we love both Pasadena and LCF is because of the beauty of the homes and streets. It's all the old growth, winding streets and feeling of serenity. You can feel the history and forget you are in LA. You could be in Cranbrook, Michigan.

We just went to an open house in Chino Hills today in the Vellano Country Club community. I mean, it's all nice and pretty new. But I don't know...
What about Claremont? It's not cheap, but if you could afford LCF or Arcadia...
(It's one of the surviving jewels of the old provincial SoCal of the first half of the twentieth century, much like Fullerton.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 06:48 AM
 
Location: So Ca
24,920 posts, read 23,102,487 times
Reputation: 22190
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
The reason we love both Pasadena and LCF is because of the beauty of the homes and streets. It's all the old growth, winding streets and feeling of serenity. You can feel the history and forget you are in LA. You could be in Cranbrook, Michigan.

We just went to an open house in Chino Hills today in the Vellano Country Club community.
Chino Hills seems to be the antithesis of what you're looking for. I'd also suggest Claremont, which has very good public schools, and is a city--at least the parts of it that are near the colleges--in which you really do forget that you're in Los Angeles County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 AM
 
8,743 posts, read 11,894,731 times
Reputation: 10491
I love Pasadena. If you can get in, I think you’ll like it too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 10:39 PM
 
Location: San Fernando Valley
240 posts, read 209,990 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
Well we're open to private school, if we want to live in Pasadena. The reason we ended up in Arcadia was because the public schools are good. Plus my husband's commute to Glendora wouldn't be too bad. So Burbank would be too far. He may also work in Rancho Cucamonga sometimes. The reason we love both Pasadena and LCF is because of the beauty of the homes and streets. It's all the old growth, winding streets and feeling of serenity. You can feel the history and forget you are in LA. You could be in Cranbrook, Michigan.

We just went to an open house in Chino Hills today in the Vellano Country Club community. I mean, it's all nice and pretty new. But I don't know...
Being from Auburn Hills, MI, I get the Cranbrook reference. Bloomfield is beautiful, and that area definitely has a similar old growth feel. But just know that as you get in more prestigious locations, I think the tendency to welcome one's neighbors into the home for barbecues and such reduces. So it might be a trade-off if that's what you're looking for.

I love Pasadena so I can't say much on that one. Maybe Bungalow Heaven area could be a good fit. Or the ones there just to the east of Bungalow Heaven. I've sold over there off Allen and they had a ton of kid-friendly atmosphere going on.

What about Monrovia? If you're a fellow former Michigander, it has always reminded me of Rochester Hills.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,786 posts, read 98,908,399 times
Reputation: 49141
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
My husband, four kids and I moved to Arcadia five months ago (job). We rented here because the move was so hurried and we had to get the kids registered in public schools. We initially tried to get the two older kids in Pasadena private schools so we could rent in Pasadena. But it didn't work out and here we are.

Arcadia has a lot of families and plenty of kids. But they never play or go outside. My kids rode their bikes and played outside during the Summer. But they could never find any kids to befriend. It was like the Twilight Zone. When school started, they were disappointed again that many kids didn't have the outgoing and humorous personalities they had hoped. Every kid was hyper focused on being perfect, almost robotic in their schooling. My kids are A students but I have raised them to have varied interests.

Maybe it's my years in San Francisco that makes me feel out of place here. I'm used to strangers looking me in the eye, smiling and even saying "hello." I'm used to neighbors actually stopping and talking with each other. I'm used to block parties, bbq's, playdates. None of that exists here. My husband and I are now getting ready to move to Pasadena this Summer. We're touring private schools soon. We decided we'll make a sacrifice of buying an older, smaller home so our kids can live a happier life. It's a shame that a cute town like Arcadia probably used to have a strong sense of community in "the good old days." I'm guessing that San Marino is even less friendly and more conservative? Pasadena is more liberal and more diverse?
My kids spent many wonderful years in Arcadia and Arcadia schools. It was years ago, so I hate to hear this. They were and so were we very involved in the community thus we found it friendly. I am shocked to here you find it not friendly and San Francisco friendlier. I will add, the influx of Asians might have something to do with the overall attitude. I have always found Asians to be a little more reserved, a little less social, especially with other cultures. This isn't a criticism, just an observation.

After reading more posts, (i jumped in without reading any) think of Glendora. North of foothill is awesome, good schools and less expensive than Arcadia. In fact we ended up leaving Arcadia and going to Glendora. This was many years ago. My husband was raised in Glendora when there were only about 4,000 people. Some of his friends still live there. Politically it is on the conservative side if this makes a difference to you.

Last edited by nmnita; 11-07-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,786 posts, read 98,908,399 times
Reputation: 49141
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The Twilight Zone = a "10" rated school district. Those kids are in their Kumon lessons,Chinese language school lessons,music lessons,tennis lessons,swim lessons,art lessons etc. etc. You are in an area that views riding bikes and playing outside as a waste of time.

For public schools I suggest looking researching Claremont.
All fine and good, but depending on where her husband works, Claremont could one heck of a distance both time and miles. I would think more like La Canada.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top