Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 02:10 AM

80 posts, read 84,613 times

Advertisements

Hi Huja,

where did you guys end up? South Bay or SaMo area?

I too would like to sample much of what LA has to offer, especially after being away for so long. I also prefer cooking my own food to going out and am pretty good at it, much nicer to invite some friends over and relax, then go out afterwards. Restaurants are great, but the portions there are huge, no wonder people in the US grow out of bounds (whole 'nother thread right there). One dinner at a restaurant is usually enough for 2-3 portions for me.

"Silicon beach"? I thought that was more an El Segundo thing, is it also SaMo?

I would like to avoid driving too much if possible, or rather, I don't mind driving as long as traffic is moving along nicely. Last time I was there I spent 35 minutes driving from the Valley to DTLA to visit a friend, and 45 minutes looking for a parking space (on the street, around Spring St. and 5th). That's crazy, and something I'd like to avoid. It was a Friday night, which may explain some of the issue. Maybe once I'm more familiar with the areas (or find an "LA Parking" app, lol) it will be easier to plan those things and avoid delays.

Cheers,
Surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by huja View Post
After our time in Asia, we were very sensitive to air quality and that was a big reason we chose to live near the beach. As stated above, it takes us further from the action but in some ways that's a good thing. Instead of spending big money and consuming too many calories at the restaurants on the West Side, we ended up cooking at home a lot more. The downside is that it's very insular. Some see that as a good thing that they live in the (South Bay) Bubble, often bragging they rarely venture East of the 405 or North of the 10. I think that's a shame because LA has so much to offer. You have to drive to hell and back to reach it but that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 02:16 AM

I think that's largely a function of driving distance from the beach (how often it's used). As a kid we went every weekend, more or less. As an adult I was there usually a few times a month (driving from the valley or RPV), even more often later as I'd often drive down to the bluffs just to hang out for a while before going home.

But yeah, I'm not sure I need to live right on the beach. But the less of a hassle it is to get there, I think the more I'd tend to go.

I was there last October and went to the beach, was surprised to find that despite being a beautiful Saturday (80 degrees and sunny) there was almost no one on the beach. That was Malibu, in case it matters.

Tourists, hmm. Yeah. Lot of those here too. Funny to watch, but they mostly serve to make lines longer and places more packed.

What kind of things to do are there in the SouthBay area (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, El Segundo, Torrance)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Life is very different depending on what beach town you're in. SaMo has a hustle/bustle due large part to the Silicon Beach presence and tourists. Manhattan Beach is nice and more laid back but further from the culture you seek. You've really got to spend some time in each to fully understand. And especially before you move. AirBnb would be a good option.

I'll tell you this: For many in LA, living near the beach is benefit rarely used, and unless you love it, you won't be going to the beach nearly as often as you think you will.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:26 PM

126 posts, read 117,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post

Would I be deluded if I planned on trying to get by on public transportation (Metro + buses) and Ubering the rest?
Let me share a story with you with the disclaimer that it's just a single data point. When we first arrived in LA in the spring of '14 we were staying in Santa Monica. Not chic north SM, not touristy SM on the west, not gritty-hip-almost-Venice SM. It was nondescript SM on Colorado near 20th. I needed to meet my wife in El Segundo so I thought I'd give public transit a go. After all, I lived in HKG, Boston, San Francisco etc, so I've spent many hours on buses, trains, streetcars and such. Long story short, it took three buses and about 1:45 to get to within two blocks the El Segundo meeting place. During this trip I witnessed one ugly, racially charged argument on the bus. I witnessed a crazy guy darting off the bus and peeing at the bus stop in full view of the passengers sitting on the right side of the bus.
The next day, I went car shopping. I can't imagine living by the beach without a car.

That said, two things I that I should point out is that the Metro extension in Santa Monica has been completed and Uber and Lyft are far more mainstream since then.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Hi Huja,

where did you guys end up? South Bay or SaMo area?

I too would like to sample much of what LA has to offer, especially after being away for so long. I also prefer cooking my own food to going out and am pretty good at it, much nicer to invite some friends over and relax, then go out afterwards. Restaurants are great, but the portions there are huge, no wonder people in the US grow out of bounds (whole 'nother thread right there). One dinner at a restaurant is usually enough for 2-3 portions for me.

"Silicon beach"? I thought that was more an El Segundo thing, is it also SaMo?

I would like to avoid driving too much if possible, or rather, I don't mind driving as long as traffic is moving along nicely. Last time I was there I spent 35 minutes driving from the Valley to DTLA to visit a friend, and 45 minutes looking for a parking space (on the street, around Spring St. and 5th). That's crazy, and something I'd like to avoid. It was a Friday night, which may explain some of the issue. Maybe once I'm more familiar with the areas (or find an "LA Parking" app, lol) it will be easier to plan those things and avoid delays.

Cheers,
Surf
We're south of LAX. Silicon Beach not really our style. Didn't care for Santa Monica. If you don't live too far south, you have decent access to the 405, 105 and 110. Shame because we like the Riviera (Roughly where Torrance, Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes intersect) but it can be a bear to get on the freeway from there. We made a big effort to do things in the area the first year or so here but then we settled into life by the beach.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:

What kind of things to do are there in the SouthBay area (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, El Segundo, Torrance)?
Lots of athletic pursuits. Volleyball on the beach. Surfing in the ocean. Biking on the Strand. Several running clubs are based here. Easy to find a nearby 5k or 10k to run on weekends. Hiking in PV. Some live shows are filmed in in Manhattan Beach and you can sit in on the studio audience (on my to-do list, just haven't gotten to it). There is a Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center that gets B-level stuff. Manhattan Beach recently opened a new library. They have lots of community activities (you can even take surf lessons!). Food scene has improved exponentially since the first time I visited nearly 15 years ago.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Yeah that's not going to happen, they live in the desert (Palm Springs). The idea is to be 3-4 hours away rather than 26-32 hours away (assuming I can get a flight), and at least be on the same continent and about in the same city.

That way I can at least go out and check in on them weekends and slow days, which is impossible from here.

Thanks.

You're kind of vague when you mention "aging parents". As someone who ended up being caregiver to both my parents(who have since passed) I can tell you that you don't always get to pick and choose when you decide to go check on them.

You're very naive to say the least. If your parents need help than you need to decide to help them or hire people who will.

I give you credit for making the move but you have to be realistic in situations like this. Being 3 to 4 hours away isn't going to help much if one of them has fallen in the house and broken a hip.

Again, only you know their age and the extent of their issues.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:49 PM

Hi Sean,

thanks for your concern. My plans to move started before anyone fell ill, just to be closer while I still have them. One of my parents has been in the hospital and rehabilitation this last month, unexpectedly. Thankfully we have many family members in the area (SFV, SouthBay, DTLA, Desert) who have been good at following up and sharing the load, and the insurance, doctors and hospitals have all been extremely professional and helpful.

So the idea is/was to be closer. I don't have any illusions that I'll be able to be a caregiver for them any more than very part-time, I have to work and have kids of my own. But I do want to be closer in general, and will do what I can to help. Between insurance and my siblings, we've managed to take care of their needs so far. With me there it will be easier on everyone with an additional person to share the load.

Not trying to be naive, and I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. If someone falls and breaks a hip, we call an ambulance. They both (thankfully) have good coverage. After living in a "healthcare is covered for everyone through our taxes, regardless of income or means" European country, I'm really thankful they have a decent plan and can get good care in the US. It's not something you can take for granted there.

Surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're kind of vague when you mention "aging parents". As someone who ended up being caregiver to both my parents(who have since passed) I can tell you that you don't always get to pick and choose when you decide to go check on them.

You're very naive to say the least. If your parents need help than you need to decide to help them or hire people who will.

I give you credit for making the move but you have to be realistic in situations like this. Being 3 to 4 hours away isn't going to help much if one of them has fallen in the house and broken a hip.

Again, only you know their age and the extent of their issues.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 AM

AirBnB - some suggestions?

I've discussed this with my son, who will be with me for a few weeks to celebrate Christmas. He'd like to spend a week "close to the beach" and a week somewhere "walkable, with cafes, shops and stuff to do and see". He's 14.

Since he'll be coming back to live in LA with me next summer, I might as well begin my "neighborhood reconnaissance" with him now.

For the "beach" part, I'm thinking Santa Monica/Venica, possibly Manhattan Beach.
For the "walkable" part, I'm not as sure. Was thinking Silver Lake/Eagle Rock as it has the hipster vibe with lots of shops and eateries, but there may be other places that would be better.

While we're there, we'll also be visiting friends and family, necessitating trips to:
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Santa Clarita
Simi Valley
Thousand Oaks
San Pedro
Irvine/Huntington Beach
Palm Springs

(Looks like I'll have to rent a car.)

Suggestions as to places to live that meet the criteria? We'll spend a week at each spot.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
Is your son going to be home-schooled or attend a local school? Because that has a lot of bearing in terms of recommendations. Try to stay out of LAUS (Silverlake, DTLA, Mid Wilshire, large parts of SFV). Santa Monica, Thousand Oaks, Santa Clarita, Burbank and Culver City all have good separate school districts. I think Manhattan Beach does too.

I think in the long term you'll find it pretty frustrating to get by without a car, but if you really want to reduce the amount you use it, I'd focus on somewhere near Santa Monica or Culver City, because these are the areas on the west side best served by trains and buses. There's also a big push to get people on bikes, which will work if you can keep the nexus of your daily activities within a couple mile radius.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:52 AM

Sorry if I was unclear.

We'll be visiting only for 2 weeks (or rather, he will). So it's just to get a rough idea of a few possible options. He won't actually be moving until next summer. Plenty of time for me to check schools, neighborhoods, etc.

He'll go to public school if it's decent, if not I understand there are charter schools that are run like private schools but with public money? If that doesn't work, I'll put him in private school.

I've heard from others as well that LAUSD isn't the best, no surprise there.

I will get a car, just don't want to spend all my time driving (I know....). Will rent something for the first month and buy one later. Thanks for the CC/SM tip.

So once again, this is just for a 2 week visit where we both want to try living in two different areas to start off with as a test while we're there for Christmas. I'll continue bouncing around to get a sampling of other neighborhoods once he's gone until I settle on where to set up my life. Some other people have suggested Long Beach as a potential area that's up and coming, I'll do as a few other posters here recommended and spend some time with AirBnB living in different parts of the city to get a better feel for where I want to be.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Is your son going to be home-schooled or attend a local school? Because that has a lot of bearing in terms of recommendations. Try to stay out of LAUS (Silverlake, DTLA, Mid Wilshire, large parts of SFV). Santa Monica, Thousand Oaks, Santa Clarita, Burbank and Culver City all have good separate school districts. I think Manhattan Beach does too.

I think in the long term you'll find it pretty frustrating to get by without a car, but if you really want to reduce the amount you use it, I'd focus on somewhere near Santa Monica or Culver City, because these are the areas on the west side best served by trains and buses. There's also a big push to get people on bikes, which will work if you can keep the nexus of your daily activities within a couple mile radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles