Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:09 PM

1,115 posts, read 949,625 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles County is offering people subsidies to build separate living quarters on their property to house the homeless. I could not believe what I was reading. This is their solution....offer people money to house the homeless if they build like a "Mother in law" type house on their property.

What happened to building facilities for them? Who will be helped by this solution? Los Angeles County has rocks in their heads.

A gentleman just died in Lawndale, CA. Had been homeless for 30 yrs I hear? Was in the Daily Breeze. It's sad that he died but what can you do when they do not want help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Los Angeles County is offering people subsidies to build separate living quarters on their property to house the homeless. I could not believe what I was reading. This is their solution....offer people money to house the homeless if they build like a "Mother in law" type house on their property.

What happened to building facilities for them? Who will be helped by this solution? Los Angeles County has rocks in their heads.

A gentleman just died in Lawndale, CA. Had been homeless for 30 yrs I hear? Was in the Daily Breeze. It's sad that he died but what can you do when they do not want help?
You can do what I do, which is yell loud and clear about the international bankers and what they've done to our country and by extension the world.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,088,040 times
My proposal, in laymans terms:

Redirect the expenses of LAPD handling these folk and build mass housing projects on cheap land in the dessert. Cart homeless there, deliver only on basic human needs, provide services to help able-bodies work themselves back into society, then if/once that happens require the individual to partially reimburse the institution for their stay. Look at it as a jail with a counselling program. The truly deranged stay and are quarantined indefinitely.

Bus services are cheap.
The jail can scale as needed due to the land around it.
The program partially pays for itself.
People have their streets back.
The homeless have help.
Everyone feels good.

Desperate times call for drastic measures. And we all know lip service doesn't shovel sh*t off our sidewalks.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,519,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post

Redirect the expenses of LAPD handling these folk and build mass housing projects on cheap land in the dessert. Cart homeless there, deliver only on basic human needs, provide services to help able-bodies work themselves back into society, then if/once that happens require the individual to partially reimburse the institution for their stay. Look at it as a jail with a counselling program. The truly deranged stay and are quarantined indefinitely.

Bus services are cheap.
The homeless have help.
Everyone feels good.

Desperate times call for drastic measures. And we all know lip service doesn't shovel sh*t off our sidewalks.
Sounds like a great idea.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,357,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post

Bus services are cheap.
The homeless have help.
Everyone feels good.

Good ideas but they make too much common sense for this city and state

Old 10-27-2017, 04:51 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,382,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Your are joking right?

Let normal people be the targets of the drug and mentally damaged people instead???????????????????

Fine people would be looking for a way to fix it and that includes putting some potentially dangerous people in a place where they can be secure, helped and watched.

Veterans are another story, as the Gov't only cares about them when they have a gun in their hands and are out of the US.
Well go figure. I see where you're coming from. What we need to do is get them out of this screwed up society. Problem is there aren't a lot of fine people in it now is there?

Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,149,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Well go figure. I see where you're coming from. What we need to do is get them out of this screwed up society. Problem is there aren't a lot of fine people in it now is there?
Definitely not many fine people left in LA. They've been forced out. The lunatics are running the asylum

Old 10-27-2017, 05:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,304,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Definitely not many fine people left in LA. They've been forced out. The lunatics are running the asylum
Starting right at the top.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,304,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Getting them out, helping them yes, but that isn't what the politician and their feel good supporters (You mentioned them above) want and ... most of the homeless do not want it either, just the ones who are actually looking for work and trying to not be homeless.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,548,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We already have the crazy homeless literally killing innocent people. So I'm not sure what the city is waiting for to take real action. I guess more people need to be killed?

Just one example from last year below. The story hardly got any press really. Of course if it was the other way around there would be protests etc. No doubt this guy was showing signs of being mentally ill and dangerous but everyone just looked the other way , including the police because "it's a homeless person what can we do..."
----
A 46-year-old homeless man will face a murder charge after an elderly man he allegedly beat died on Monday, police said.The attack took place just before 3:30 p.m. on April 2 near 8th Street and Grand Avenue downtown. The suspect, LaFawn Parker, approached the older man, Dong Lee on a sidewalk and punched him several times, Los Angeles police Officer Liliana Preciado said. A security guard from a nearby Whole Foods grocery store who witnessed the beating, pepper sprayed Parker and held him down until police arrived.

85-year-old man brutally beaten in downtown attack dies - LA Times
Sad but very true. And we are proposing building more services for them which will just free up the streets for more to come in. We wouldn't need to spend public money to build more homeless services if we pealed back some of the overregulation that stops free market builders from coming in and building more general population housing.

People complain about all the housing being built for the wealthy, but with the giant hurdles and costs developers face, what incentive do they have to build moderate priced housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles