Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,960 times

Advertisements

As of today, almost gone. Sad to see another decent rock station go off of the air after 10 years. I don't get the economics of radio in Southern California. There are lots marginal radio stations and radio stations for evangelical chinese broadcasting and the like but a regular classic rock radio station can't stay on the air.

Is the talent too expensive? Are the royalties for the songs they play too expensive? Or maybe the audience continues to die off like the artist that they play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 11:38 AM

80 posts, read 84,601 times
Do people still listen to radio?

I thought by now we were all on satellite or Spotify, or both.

Kind of surprising to hear radio is still trying to survive in an in-demand world.

(my guess to your question is that the audience is dwindling. Streaming and on-demand is where it's at, and where the youth are, which means where the money is. Source - industry insider.)

Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
There are lots marginal radio stations and radio stations for evangelical chinese broadcasting and the like but a regular classic rock radio station can't stay on the air.
Another merger, unfortunately. Entercom Sells Three Stations as CBS Radio Merger Nears Completion – Variety

Old 11-12-2017, 01:08 PM

80 posts, read 84,601 times
Interesting. Is Clear Channel no longer a player in terrestrial radio? Some time ago they had bought a huge stake in most areas, the 500lb gorilla in the industry.

Also (again, I haven't lived in LA in a looooong time, lol!), what happened to KMET, KLOS, KROQ, are none of them broadcasting anymore? I seem to recall there were at least a few other stations that played mostly/only classic rock.

Looks like they'll be bringing "God to Los Angeles". Good luck with that...

I had no idea that "Adult Contemporary Christian Music" was a growth sector. My finger is definitely not on the pulse of America's latest tastes.

But as I mentioned earlier, who listens to radio anymore, really?

Old 11-12-2017, 01:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
Interesting. Is Clear Channel no longer a player in terrestrial radio? Some time ago they had bought a huge stake in most areas, the 500lb gorilla in the industry.

Also (again, I haven't lived in LA in a looooong time, lol!), what happened to KMET, KLOS, KROQ, are none of them broadcasting anymore? I seem to recall there were at least a few other stations that played mostly/only classic rock.

Looks like they'll be bringing "God to Los Angeles". Good luck with that...

I had no idea that "Adult Contemporary Christian Music" was a growth sector. My finger is definitely not on the pulse of America's latest tastes.

But as I mentioned earlier, who listens to radio anymore, really?
KLOS and KROQ are both still around and KLOS is actually quite successful.

KMET has been gone for over 30 years. It's now KTWV, "The Wave", a "Smooth R&B" station.

Clear Channel is now "iHeart Media"

Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
All you really need to get by is KRTH 101.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:17 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
Do people still listen to radio?

I thought by now we were all on satellite or Spotify, or both.

Kind of surprising to hear radio is still trying to survive in an in-demand world.

(my guess to your question is that the audience is dwindling. Streaming and on-demand is where it's at, and where the youth are, which means where the money is. Source - industry insider.)
My car is 15 years old, it's either radio or CDs. I will also turn up a radio station on the home stereo while cleaning the house or doing other chores. I still enjoy listening to a good radio station with a quality DJ playing a hand selected set of music.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
100.3 The Sound - Going, going... As of today, almost gone. Sad to see another decent rock station go off of the air after 10 years. I don't get the economics of radio in Southern California. There are lots marginal radio stations and radio stations for evangelical chinese broadcasting and the like but a regular classic rock radio station can't stay on the air.

Is the talent too expensive? Are the royalties for the songs they play too expensive? Or maybe the audience continues to die off like the artist that they play.
Yeah, this bums me out. Scan through the dial on the radio and you'll come across 200 Spanish stations playing stupid tuba and accordian music. But very very few stations will play Hendrix, Led Zepplin, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Yeah, not going to hear any Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Zepplin or the likes on KRTH though.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:58 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post

Old 11-12-2017, 04:11 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I don't get it. There should be a huge demographic available still for classic rock. It's not like a station playing 40's jazz and swing. I mean come on.

LA radio has always always sucked in my opinion, especially for such a large market. I'm dating myself here a bit but the last good station was KNAC 105.5. I can listen to a large variety of music and I just think overall for some reason LA radio just hasn't been that good. Every time I go out of state and play the radio it just seems like there's a better variety, IDK, maybe it's just me, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles