Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We must get cars off the road . Cars are evil .

People are addicted to their cars . It's car dependence .

I mean why can't everyone just bike to work like Councilmember Bonin ?

https://la.curbed.com/2016/9/15/1292...-traffic-bikes
Yet they won't pursue the policy that works most efficiently at getting drivers off the roads and reducing car dependence - enforcing DUI laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:

Cars aren't evil. But we made the mistake of thinking it was suitable to make them the ONLY form of transportation.

We basically screwed ourselves into a corner..

Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
Quote:
There are a lot of vapid people in L.A
You should see San Diego. 90% are vapid. Mark Dice's beach videos are classic exposes on this.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
You should see San Diego. 90% are vapid. Mark Dice's beach videos are classic exposes on this.
Ha yeah I could see that about SD.

Mark Dice is pretty funny seen some of his stuff .

Old 11-18-2017, 05:35 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:

I'm a moderate on this issue. I do think it is a good idea to get people to drive less in urban areas. That is where most people live and/or work, so public transportation can do a lot of good in this regard. I have minor issues with bike lanes because both drivers and bicyclists can be quite obnoxious towards each other, and pedestrians. I got hit by a bicyclist while walking ON THE SIDEWALK in downtown Sacramento and he was quite obnoxious about it. The end result was he sailed away on his bike and I am still dealing with a sore knee eight months later. If I had it my way new development and redevelopment would have a dedicated bike lane to separate them from traffic and pedestrians where congestions makes conflicts between the three imminent. However, I'm not anti-car or anti-bicycle. I do think planning in regards to where bicycle lanes are placed could be better, and people could reduce their vehicle related spending by planning a little better so they don't have to make extra trips to the grocery store for a gallon of milk and a loaf of Wonder bread, and then save themselves additional expenses and time by using public transportation where it is available. In regards to smog, transportation is the largest source of pollution in most metro areas in North America. Reducing the number of miles driven and transitioning to low, or zero emission vehicles will go a long way to reduce air quality problems.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:42 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Cars aren't evil. But we made the mistake of thinking it was suitable to make them the ONLY form of transportation.

We basically screwed ourselves into a corner..
Have you ever watched Adam-12? When that show was made, it only took the police less than ten minutes to get to any location in L.A. We were not like other metropolitan areas such as New York -- this city functioned very efficiently without light rail. It's the immigration flood that screwed this city, not its design.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Have you ever watched Adam-12? When that show was made, it only took the police less than ten minutes to get to any location in L.A. We were not like other metropolitan areas such as New York -- this city functioned very efficiently without light rail. It's the immigration flood that screwed this city, not its design.
Because fictional TV shows are always 100 percent accurate depictions of what life was like.

The city should never have dismantled what it had. Also, too bad it didn;t build the monorail, which was planned to replace the PE trains, but which the Board of Supervisors killed. L.A. having idiots in government is not new.

Last edited by majoun; 11-18-2017 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I'm a moderate on this issue. I do think it is a good idea to get people to drive less in urban areas. That is where most people live and/or work, so public transportation can do a lot of good in this regard. I have minor issues with bike lanes because both drivers and bicyclists can be quite obnoxious towards each other, and pedestrians. I got hit by a bicyclist while walking ON THE SIDEWALK in downtown Sacramento and he was quite obnoxious about it. The end result was he sailed away on his bike and I am still dealing with a sore knee eight months later. If I had it my way new development and redevelopment would have a dedicated bike lane to separate them from traffic and pedestrians where congestions makes conflicts between the three imminent. However, I'm not anti-car or anti-bicycle. I do think planning in regards to where bicycle lanes are placed could be better, and people could reduce their vehicle related spending by planning a little better so they don't have to make extra trips to the grocery store for a gallon of milk and a loaf of Wonder bread, and then save themselves additional expenses and time by using public transportation where it is available. In regards to smog, transportation is the largest source of pollution in most metro areas in North America. Reducing the number of miles driven and transitioning to low, or zero emission vehicles will go a long way to reduce air quality problems.
Sounds like you're pretty close to my stance on this issue....unfortunately there isn't much common sense around on this issue, just extremisms of various sorts.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Because fictional TV shows are always 100 percent accurate depictions of what life was like.

The city should never have dismantled what it had. Also, too bad it didn;t build the monorail, which was planned to replace the PE trains, but which the Board of Supervisors killed. L.A. having idiots in government is not new.
Furthermore, when engine company 51 left the station, they could be on scene in minutes, and then it only took a few minutes to get to Rampart. They'd be like, "Squad 51, man impaled by a lawn dart." and then John and Roy would go there and do an EKG and then go to Rampart, and there was never traffic like we have today.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Furthermore, when engine company 51 left the station, they could be on scene in minutes, and then it only took a few minutes to get to Rampart. They'd be like, "Squad 51, man impaled by a lawn dart." and then John and Roy would go there and do an EKG and then go to Rampart, and there was never traffic like we have today.
Nobody said there was traffic like today. Even in the 1990s there was not traffic like today.

If you're talking about the Emergency TV series, Rampart General was Harbor General, now Harbor-UCLA, and Station 51 was in Carson. It's certainly concievable that an emergency vehicle could have gone from Carson to Harbor UCLA in 10 minutes in the 1970s. It's even possible today at certain times.

Still, at least we don't have to worry about Klingons attacking us at Vasquez Rocks anymore, or the risk of getting run over by the Batmobile in Griffith Park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles