Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Then your local media is doing a great job.

Given that illegal immigrants have less than half the crime rate of legal immigrants, who have less than half the crime rate of native-born American citizens, it would be really weird if your local media would be highlighting "wrongs done by illegal immigrants".

And, yeah, Trump's actions are clearly purely venal. He's married to an illegal, has hired hundreds of illegals, and had zero problem with illegals until 18 months ago when he ran for office and came up with the "Build a Wall" idiocy.
I don't think many people here take that post seriously
Spoiler
other than Trump being of poor character, though maybe illegal immigrants are less likely to engage in white-collar crime, for example
. By the way, the wall concept is very old.

I don't know what percentage of MS-13 is illegal immigrants, but 1) it's definitely associated with illegal immigration
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ave-gang-ties/
2) the organization is a growing problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 12:40 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:

Given that illegal immigrants have less than half the crime rate of legal immigrants, who have less than half the crime rate of native-born American citizens, it would be really weird if your local media would be highlighting "wrongs done by illegal immigrants".

And, yeah, Trump's actions are clearly purely venal. He's married to an illegal, has hired hundreds of illegals, and had zero problem with illegals until 18 months ago when he ran for office and came up with the "Build a Wall" idiocy.
He just lifted a ban on elephant hunting trophies. And his administration tried to persuade coal at a climate summit. Which was described as promoting cigarettes at a cancer summit..

Old 11-17-2017, 05:39 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:

That's always been weird to me, nobody who lives in Manhattan has a complete redneck mindset like that. Trump has always been an Ahole, but it seems to me like the whole "build the wall" thing was part of his successful attempt to get the "pissed off redneck" vote.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The point is that the local media basically has been doing a blackout of wrongs done by illegal immigrants and instead makes it seems like Trump's actions are purely venal. Not that MS-13 members are necessarily immigrants, as someone noted. But when they are illegal immigrants, their family members (often numerous, if the stereotype is true) have a vested interest in keeping them here/away from ICE, even if they disapprove of their conduct and especially if the 'law-abiding' relatives themselves are here illegally (don't want to be detained). Some local news organization should do a survey on how illegal immigrants feel about habitual criminals among them.
Well I don't think it would help at all if illegal immigrants are afraid to go to police to report MS-13 out of fear of being deported.

Quote:
Fakenews. MS-13 barely exists in the U.S. and most of their members are native-born.

Trump cultists desperately cling to anything to justify their hatred of foreigners.
Is that true? A bunch of them got arrested not too far from me and they were mostly nationals of El Salvador and Honduras.

I agree with your point overall, though.

It's also worth noting that their countries were heavily destabilized by US foreign policy in the 80s.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't think many people here take that post seriously
Spoiler
other than Trump being of poor character, though maybe illegal immigrants are less likely to engage in white-collar crime, for example
. By the way, the wall concept is very old.

I don't know what percentage of MS-13 is illegal immigrants, but 1) it's definitely associated with illegal immigration
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ave-gang-ties/
2) the organization is a growing problem.
Something else I want to bring up, Trump is famous for criticizing Mexico and Mexican people, but it seems like these problems are more related to El Salvador, which does not border the United States or even Mexico.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
They gotta show they care about ..."immigrants"
Sad but true.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Something else I want to bring up, Trump is famous for criticizing Mexico and Mexican people, but it seems like these problems are more related to El Salvador, which does not border the United States or even Mexico.
That's likely a reason the media doesn't report much on Trump's comments about MS-13. Maybe it's also 'safer' for local media to subtly endorse the crackdown on the gang because it's not especially Mexican.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Yeah he shouldn't criticize Mexico or the criminals that come over from there.

How dare he .

He should be more like our Mayor here and thank them and feel all "compassionate" about criminals .

Old 11-17-2017, 11:40 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Well I don't think it would help at all if illegal immigrants are afraid to go to police to report MS-13 out of fear of being deported.

Is that true? A bunch of them got arrested not too far from me and they were mostly nationals of El Salvador and Honduras.

I agree with your point overall, though.

It's also worth noting that their countries were heavily destabilized by US foreign policy in the 80s.
More liberal myths . Show me people that have been deported for reporting crimes .

Old 11-17-2017, 01:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
More liberal myths . Show me people that have been deported for reporting crimes .
How many would say "I am an illegal and I want to report a crime".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: