U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM

14,755 posts, read 14,205,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's an active listing. Not close to the beach. I don't want this post to get zapped for advertising but if you realtor dot com Culver City for $900K to $1M range, you'll find it.

The address is

3146 ROBERTS AVE 90232 - Google Maps
Ok, I see, evidently you know the city well. Culver City has one westward tentacle that almost hits Lincoln Blvd, right? It's near there. Still, I doubt anyone will pay it. It's probably been sitting. I think this is "an outlier." I HOPE it is...sheez....I remember when these cost NO MORE than $ 49,000....in the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 AM

2,199 posts, read 4,911,070 times
No, it isn't anywhere near that westward tentacle you're talking about. That area is now called "Del Ray" or "Marina Adjacent" or "SoCo." That is 90066 and there are one or two streets that have CC services. You're going to pay a premium in that area, because it's beach-close and it has gotten trendy. I used to own property there.

There are some nice, pricey neighborhoods in CC-- the revitalized downtown, the Helms Bakery district and Sony-adjacent. These are artsy areas and, yes, they could command that kind of price tag. This particular address is way, way up, near La Cienega. It used to be the 'hood.

Last edited by goodbyehollywood; 03-28-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-28-2008, 06:06 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,205,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
No, it isn't anywhere near that westward tentacle you're talking about. That area is now called "Del Ray" or "Marina Adjacent" or "SoCo." That is 90066 and there are one or two streets that have CC services. You're going to pay a premium in that area, because it's beach-close and it has gotten trendy. I used to own property there.

There are some nice, pricey neighborhoods in CC-- the revitalized downtown, the Helms Bakery district and Sony-adjacent. These are artsy areas and, yes, they could command that kind of price tag. This particular address is way, way up, near La Cienega. It used to be the 'hood.
Oh, yeah, the eastside of Culver City. $ 949 K. Hand me a razor blade *as I roll up my sleeves* I thought, maybe just maybe, it would be extreme west Culver City. I think east Culver City, regardless of the updates, is still bleak and depressing. In fact, there is an entire swath east of Sepulveda, south of Palms Blvd, north of the Baldwin Hills and west of Fairfax that just feels dingy. Maybe if they started over with a clean slate, but otherwise, you will always have a trace of what it was.

I thought the prices were correcting toward some semblance of reason, what gives. Essentially, the only people who can buy these crap houses in LA are those swapping equity from another house, foreigners with a load of cash and people from SF/Honolulu/NYC/Boston...well, those people can't possibly be the demographic for ALL Westside homes...this whole thing is bizarre!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 PM

2,105 posts, read 5,399,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
I knew homes were expensive in L.A. but wow! That little toy house would only be about 35K in Indiana! hahaha! But then you'd be.....in Indiana joy.
Still I gotta laugh at those prices. That's just obscene, that's the only word I can think of to describe L.A. real estate prices. Look like I better get cozy in the studio....for the rest of my life!
Out of sheer curiousity and ignorance, could somebody enlighten me (in 1st grader terms please) as to how they can justify such a high cost of home ownership? I could even grasp that little hut pictured going for 400k, that's alot, but I understand it IS Los Angeles, still I can't fathom some of these tiny shacks going for a million bucks. Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject.
here's the econ 101 answer: commodities are worth as much or as little as people are willing to pay for them. that "little toy house" (love that) cost nearly a million bucks because someone is willing to pay that much. if it stays on the market too long (indicating that no one will pay that much), then the price will come down.

WHY someone might be willing to pay that much has to do with the things you mentioned, as well as the vagaries of the southern california real estate market. i remember when i lived in NY in the mid-80s, and i couldn't understand why anyone would pay $900/mo to rent a shoebox in manhattan. living in NYC wasn't something i valued enough to consider spending that kind of money (which, as a student, i didn't have anyway), but if i had a million to buy one of the preserved 1920s bungalows in spaulding square today, i would do it in a heartbeat. those are little toy houses, too, but i love the neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM

2,199 posts, read 4,911,070 times
It really is all about the neighborhood in L.A. Those national or state statistics have NOTHING to do with the Westside, especially the beach or near-beach areas. The only houses that have come down in price in those areas are the undesirables or tear-downs, which are unaffordable to all but the developers and the very rich. A nice "toy bungalow" in decent condition is still way up in the stratosphere-- out of reach for your typical six-figure professional under normal mortgage qualification.

Of course, liar loans keep it all within reach... for those who don't mind gambling and are confident of a bailout if things get too tough.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM

413 posts, read 1,267,565 times
Out of curiousity I have tried searching online for various home prices in LA (Hollywood mainly) and none of the sites give me a flat answer like: HOUSE PICTURE, HOUSE INFO and PRICE. What's a good site that shows prices?
I understand why the don't list the price, I would not be able to show my face either at those prices!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:29 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,073,203 times
I stumbled on this site some time ago. Seems reasonably accurate and has the info you're asking for: zillow.com

Last edited by JTGJR; 03-30-2008 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Tried to hotlink it and ended up with an advertisement line.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,531,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Out of curiousity I have tried searching online for various home prices in LA (Hollywood mainly) and none of the sites give me a flat answer like: HOUSE PICTURE, HOUSE INFO and PRICE. What's a good site that shows prices?
I understand why the don't list the price, I would not be able to show my face either at those prices!
Every site I've used has the price....am I missing something????

Here are my quick and dirty websites

REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale

also, try maps.google.com then click on the "My Maps" tab and put an "x" in the real estate search tool. Lets you use a google maps interface for checking out homes.

For the absolute best high res photos (much better than google maps or google earth) use maps.live.com and click on "bird eye view"; with BEV you can look at something from up to four different angles.

There's also zillow

Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information | Zillow Real Estate

Old 03-31-2008, 01:11 AM

291 posts, read 1,179,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanf813 View Post
Haha you are all so funny! (I almost said ya'll) Im def. going to have to lose that Texan accent! Ive been there before and absolutley loved it, Im not just going without knowing anything. Ive been on MLS and looking at houses. BTW Im not saying I have 1 million just hangin out in my bank account, Im saying thats what kind of house I can afford and its not just me in the house. So Im not rich like everyone thinks I am..I WISH! I just work very hard and so do the people going with me. I loved IN and OUT burger! Yogotango?? havent tried it but it sounds like alot of fun! Maybe I can teach it for work. I talked to a lady who owns a studio out by the "entertainment studios" where exactly is that? She just mentioned thats where it is. Its the same here in the South, people are always in your business.

Umm, maybe you've heard of this thing called "the credit crisis" and "the housing crisis" going on in America right now.

Banks aren't going to just give out a million dollar loan on a house that will take 4 or 5 incomes (or however many people are going to be in the house with you) to pay the mortgage on it. Your best bet is to rent. Only 2 people are allowed on a mortgage loan and for a million dollar house in this "credit crunch" crisis, both of those people better be making at least 6 figures and probably close to $200-$400k combined income.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 AM

21 posts, read 47,999 times
Try Craigslist for house hunting. Whether buying or renting.

Know too that L.A. just isn't the good place it used to be. California in general isn't what it used to be. In years ago people flocked to California. It was the 'paradise' state. Now it is referred to as 'the sewer'.

Some areas are better than others. But no place is really safe. This is a state that is over run with gangs. And in regard to gangs. They don't just kill each other, they just kill. I had a friend who parked her car along the street when she went into a store in Santa Monica. She came out, went to her car, put the key in the door, and BAM, a car full of mexicans drove by and shot her at close range, only a few feet away. Her life changed in a second. Why did they to do it? Because they wanted to.

Santa Monica is bordered by Venice. Venice is gang territory. If you wear the color red, you will be shot. Any red. If you have a shirt with a red flower on it. You will be shot.

I know someone who works with gang members. He told me of an incident where a group of boys were playing basketball on school grounds when a rival gang drove by. They shot from the car. One of the boys tried to jump the fence to get at them. They shot him. He is paralyzed from the waist down now. For the rest of his life. I have met gang members who are in wheelchairs now because of gang violence.

I saw a documentary about l.a. gangs and gang members busted right into an emergency room to murder the rival gang member who had been taken there for medical care.

It is a sick place. The illegals are trashing everyplace. They come into this country by breaking in, a crime, criminals. And so it goes.

Don't move to l.a. Like anyplace, if nothing goes wrong then you will think it's a great place. But if something goes bad, you'll be sorry. And in l.a. when something goes bad, it will last a lifetime.

It can happen to ANYBODY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles