Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Also honest question not trying to bash your city , but how do you guys do it with the traffic ?
I get misereble and irritated and road rage with out congested roads for our population here in Albany especially around our strip mall
Galore s during the Holliday season I get pissed over a 10 minute commute taking 20+

Idk how you all deal with that la traffic I would lose my mind . Especially driving a 5.7 hemi ram I would be filling my tank probably every day
Unwinding at the beach in November goes a ways towards dealing with traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 07:38 PM

71 posts, read 119,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
If you're not a patient person, the traffic will probably drive you nuts. I find the best way to deal with it is to load a lot of podcasts, playlists, get XM radio, and use drive time to call people, make appointments, etc. Helps the time go faster.

And yes, if your vehicle is not fuel efficient, you can be spending tons in gas. Plus, California just approved a 12 cent gas tax hike with more to come in the next couple years.
You definitely are part of the traffic problem. People need to pay attention to driving!

Old 11-30-2017, 07:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Groceries are much higher in LA than they are in many major cities, and that's been the case for decades, and that also applies to prices fo necessities such as auto insurance and gasoline, which is currently $.75 higher per gallon or more in LA than here in suburban Phoenix and that price difference frequently expands a lot at various times throughout the year due to seasonal maintenance, high taxes, and strict environmental mandates as the NY Times and other media outlets have reported over the years.

It's definitely not a middle-class friendly state these days as it was for most of the previous 50+ years where I was born and raised until moving here last year, and and certainly won't ever be again with an unaffordable housing problem which will also never be resolved.

A below-replacement birthrate combined with a marked decline in the number of children (which means substantially fewer school children, wage earners and taxpayers) in the state, a trend which has been going on for well over four decades and will undoubtedly continue as a 2013 study @ USC grimly pointed out.
You live in Chanldler, AZ so how do you know what things cost here?

Sorry, I left CA for a few years and came back. I was in FL. The car insurance in FL was several hundred dollars higher for an older car, than I pay now for a 2014 car and have the last 3 years. About $500 less
a year than I paid when I bought the 2014 car.

Utilities, good grief. You have no choice but to run the A/C most of the year in FL, triple digit bills every month.

I got sticker shock in Publix with the prices. And no discount card like Vons and Ralphs has.

I can't speak about AZ prices, but there are states that are more costly than CA when it comes to items and services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Well, I didnt say anything about Houston specifically. The heat and humidity dont bother me personally but I know some dont like it. Either way, I chose a city that offers 90% of what LA offers at a percentage of the cost.

I understand both sides and I know not all will agree with me. Thats just me.
Houston is as flat as a pancake. Sorry, not even close to what you have in LA.

Than there is what call the "Texas Tude" that you have to deal with.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You live in Chanldler, AZ so how do you know what things cost here?

Sorry, I left CA for a few years and came back. I was in FL. The car insurance in FL was several hundred dollars higher for an older car, than I pay now for a 2014 car and have the last 3 years. About $500 less
a year than I paid when I bought the 2014 car.

Utilities, good grief. You have no choice but to run the A/C most of the year in FL, triple digit bills every month.

I got sticker shock in Publix with the prices. And no discount card like Vons and Ralphs has.
All of which is easily offset by no State Income tax in FL and way lower gas prices and lower utility rates and lower actual property tax, as homes are far less expensive.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Or being white and trying to move to Boyle Heights and get called a colonizer.
That is funny!

Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,797 times
Quote:
Also honest question not trying to bash your city , but how do you guys do it with the traffic ?
I get misereble and irritated and road rage with out congested roads for our population here in Albany especially around our strip mall
Galore s during the Holliday season I get pissed over a 10 minute commute taking 20+

Idk how you all deal with that la traffic I would lose my mind . Especially driving a 5.7 hemi ram I would be filling my tank probably every day
Plan your trip to minimize traffic, use an app like Waze and have lots of patience.

Also don't drive a big truck, watching the gas gauge move faster the odometer will give you road rage.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Unlike the other expensive cities it really isn't worth it.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Which city is that ?

Houston doesn't have hills and mountains to hike and camp
Try Nevada or Arizona

Old 12-01-2017, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 16,971 times
Moved to L.A. in 1999, left in 2013. Came back to visit in 2015...MHO is...

If you enjoy a natural sane life in general you'd do well to avoid California like plague (especially Los Angeles). What was once a casual, creative place to live is now an increasingly desperate and bizarre mindscrew that geographically is becoming urban Brazil meets rural Saudi Arabia.

If you are okay with hard drugs, taxes that challenge gravity, traffic that Tesla can't even fix, and one good reason to pour rent money out like your soul to get back to work the next morning so you can afford a couch bed, then...I guess that's "just like my opinion, man" but...

...Mine is that Los Angeles used to be approachable. Now it's unsustainably over-rated unless you're $$$. Most major cities are, but unless you're top-shelf, in L.A. you'll quickly learn the meaning of what the muckity-mucks call "financially redundant". We live in an era where many still live with their parents because of cost and "other reasons".

Enter L.A. at your own risk. When it comes to company town, nobody's opinion really matters except your own as there is no real norm other than weather. Cheers and best of luck.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM

83 posts, read 122,259 times
Yes and it is getting more and more expensive.

I bought a house last year, and it has gone up in value by 10% in ONE year. I'm already priced out of my own neighborhood and it is not one of the super "desirable" ones by most people's standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles