Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:27 PM

190 posts, read 469,782 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I have been living in the Belmont Shore area of LBC for the past 6 months and are really enjoying it. One of us works in Irvine and another in DTLA, which makes the commutes an absolute terror, so one of us has been able to negotiate working from home. Can you please recommend some areas closer to DTLA that we should be considering?

Facts About Us

-Young professional couple (30ish)
-Like the outdoors, but don't necessarily have to be near a beach
-Like going out to eat/bars, but not into nightclubs, etc
-Looking to minimize a daily commute to DTLA vs. the current ride to Belmont Shore
-Willing to pay $2500 in rent

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 03:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,472,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I have been living in the Belmont Shore area of LBC for the past 6 months and are really enjoying it. One of us works in Irvine and another in DTLA, which makes the commutes an absolute terror, so one of us has been able to negotiate working from home. Can you please recommend some areas closer to DTLA that we should be considering?

Facts About Us

-Young professional couple (30ish)
-Like the outdoors, but don't necessarily have to be near a beach
-Like going out to eat/bars, but not into nightclubs, etc
-Looking to minimize a daily commute to DTLA vs. the current ride to Belmont Shore
-Willing to pay $2500 in rent

Thanks in advance!
Glendale, Eagle Rock, Atwater Village, Highland Park - finding places on that budget in Eagle Rock might be a problem though)

Echo Park? Maybe, although you'd definitely be on the lower end of what's available there.

None of those however would be good for someone commuting to Irvine.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Glendale, Eagle Rock, Atwater Village, Highland Park - finding places on that budget in Eagle Rock might be a problem though)

Echo Park? Maybe, although you'd definitely be on the lower end of what's available there.

None of those however would be good for someone commuting to Irvine.
Thanks for the feedback...not worried about having to commute to Irvine anymore.

These all seem very close to DTLA, just wanted to clarify that I'm willing to be 30 minutes away, just trying to get closer than the current 1hr+. Any other areas that I am missing?

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,785,549 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback...not worried about having to commute to Irvine anymore.

These all seem very close to DTLA, just wanted to clarify that I'm willing to be 30 minutes away, just trying to get closer than the current 1hr+. Any other areas that I am missing?

Thanks!
South Central. Seriously, it's apparently hot right now. You could still buy today for under $400k and flip it for double in a few years according to the hype

Old 12-11-2017, 05:37 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,365,623 times
Within a 30 minute drive rush hour
West: SilverLake, Echo Park, Los Feliz, Hollywood, Hancock Park, Koreatown, Maybe areas just west of there like La Brea, Fairfax, Mid City.

North: Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Hermon, Montecity Heights, South Pasadena, Alhambra, Pasadena (Old Town, Playhouse District, South of Colorado Blvd), Glendale.

Check rental sites: Padmapper, Trulia are free. Also paid sites. Often sites like those often just large complexes by large corporations that can afford to pay and feature their place. Many apartments are small mom and pop landlord places dont always advertise but do it old school with a vacancy sign and phone number So you would need to drive around and call to see the place. Luxury types with pools, secured garage, gym, dog park, common rooms, etc are becoming more common with often highest prices. If you want those things, I see a lot of the newer buildings in Glendale, Pasadena, Hollywood, La Brea, Koreatown, and Downtown LA.

Not sure if Downtown interests you. But South Park area and Arts District are red hot. You probably know the area since you work there but prices are quite high.

If you want to take Public transportation Metro rail in about 30 minutes or slightly longer. Culver City, Hollywood, Highland Park, south Pasadena, Pasadena are good areas to consider but also choose to drive if you wanted to. Many of these areas have newer luxury type apartments within 10 minute walk to a metro line or even a buses if you wish to live a little more to a Metro rail into Downtown.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,472,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
West: SilverLake, Echo Park, Los Feliz, Hollywood, Hancock Park, Koreatown, Maybe areas just west of there like La Brea, Fairfax, Mid City.

North: Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Hermon, Montecity Heights, South Pasadena, Alhambra, Pasadena (Old Town, Playhouse District, South of Colorado Blvd), Glendale.

Check rental sites: Padmapper, Trulia are free. Also paid sites. Often sites like those often just large complexes by large corporations that can afford to pay and feature their place. Many apartments are small mom and pop landlord places dont always advertise but do it old school with a vacancy sign and phone number So you would need to drive around and call to see the place. Luxury types with pools, secured garage, gym, dog park, common rooms, etc are becoming more common with often highest prices. If you want those things, I see a lot of the newer buildings in Glendale, Pasadena, Hollywood, La Brea, Koreatown, and Downtown LA.

Not sure if Downtown interests you. But South Park area and Arts District are red hot. You probably know the area since you work there but prices are quite high.

If you want to take Public transportation Metro rail in about 30 minutes or slightly longer. Culver City, Hollywood, Highland Park, south Pasadena, Pasadena are good areas to consider but also choose to drive if you wanted to. Many of these areas have newer luxury type apartments within 10 minute walk to a metro line or even a buses if you wish to live a little more to a Metro rail into Downtown.
Some of those (e.g. Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Hancock Park, Fairfax, Hollywood Hills, Culver City) are out of his price range.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,581,994 times
Just live in downtown.

If not, then South Pasadena and take the gold line or Los Felix and take the Red Line.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post

Appreciate the detailed response!

Old 12-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Just live in downtown.

If not, then South Pasadena and take the gold line or Los Felix and take the Red Line.
Lived in Downtown the first 2 months we were here and wasn't a big fan. Too much homeless for the price you would be paying, looking for a more laid back vibe than what downtown offers anyways. I come from NYC and DT is too similar for my liking.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,200 times
Quote:
Lived in Downtown the first 2 months we were here and wasn't a big fan. Too much homeless for the price you would be paying, looking for a more laid back vibe than what downtown offers anyways. I come from NYC and DT is too similar for my liking.
Where in DTLA did you live? I'm in South Park, and the homeless are noticebly less prominent the further south you go. (11th, 12th)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles