U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:52 PM

1,159 posts, read 680,633 times

Advertisements

Ok so I just saw a CBS KCAL 9 news story on how Compton is the new hottest neighborhood in L.A? Is this true? If so that would be amazing, because I know that Compton has always had a BAD gang reputation. Just curious and if so where those gangs have shifted too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 01:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,423,660 times
Compton, Inglewood and South Central are hot markets. Gangs haven't gone anywhere yet but that's just how crazy this housing market it. Young professionals are willing to spend $700k on a fixer upper in a historic gang neighborhood because of geographic location

Old 12-22-2017, 02:07 PM

1,159 posts, read 680,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Compton, Inglewood and South Central are hot markets. Gangs haven't gone anywhere yet but that's just how crazy this housing market it. Young professionals are willing to spend $700k on a fixer upper in a historic gang neighborhood because of geographic location

Wow, do you know what parts are starting to turn first? Like what sections, to me that is just CRAZY.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,423,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Wow, do you know what parts are starting to turn first? Like what sections, to me that is just CRAZY.
Inglewood because of the new NFL stadium/complex. Then South Central. I personally haven't heard much about Compton yet so I'd say that's third

Old 12-22-2017, 03:09 PM

3,544 posts, read 3,359,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Ok so I just saw a CBS KCAL 9 news story on how Compton is the new hottest neighborhood in L.A? Is this true? If so that would be amazing, because I know that Compton has always had a BAD gang reputation. Just curious and if so where those gangs have shifted too?
Its only hot if you are a minority (black or latino). Compton is NEVER going to be a "hot" housing market. Just too much crime and bad schools.

This is one of those instances where the News Director, acting on polite request from the mayor city council member to "...... please please please do a positive story on Compton (and other undesirable areas) so we can make people think they are desirable and/or upcoming."

Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 PM

6,537 posts, read 3,411,223 times
I wanna move to Compton so I can say that I came straight outta there everytime I leave town..

Old 12-22-2017, 03:25 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,128,285 times
The Mayor of Compton came out years ago saying she was going to make it the next Brooklyn.

As Ryansms said above , in this crazy hot market every neighborhood is being billed as up and coming .

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Watts is going to be the next "hot neighborhood "

During the next downturn these places will be the ones that will dip most just like last time unless there is really something fundamentally improving .

People seem to forget that South L.A , Compton etc dropped in like half last time .

While more prime areas didn't get hurt nearly as bad .

People aren't going to be as impressed by a football stadium or a new subway stop next downturn believe me .

Old 12-22-2017, 03:28 PM

6,537 posts, read 3,411,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The Mayor of Compton came out years ago saying she was going to make it the next Brooklyn.

As Ryansms said above , in this crazy hot market every neighborhood is being billed as up and coming .

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Watts is going to be the next "hot neighborhood "

During the next downturn these places will be the ones that will dip most just like last time unless there is really something fundamentally improving .

People seem to forget that South L.A , Compton etc dropped in like half last time .

People aren't going to be as impressed by a football stadium or a new subway stop next downturn believe me .
IDK about the stadium. But if I need to be somewhere and just need to take the train to get there. I'm sold.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 PM

17,445 posts, read 24,471,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

If proximity to stadiums always improved neighborhoods, why did Echo Park go into an almost 40 year tailspin after Dodger Stadium was built? Has Yankee Stadium helped the South Bronx? Has Oakland Coliseum helped the Coliseum neighborhood?

Subway stops do tend to improve neighborhoods, but proximity to stadiums doesn't.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM

17,445 posts, read 24,471,909 times
Inglewood is on the upswing, not many whites FWIW, but it's gotten much nicer.

The "hot" neighborhoods are the neighborhoods that were always nice, closer to Ladera and Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles