U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 04:09 PM

6 posts, read 4,378 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to another city within the next 6 months. Currently I live in Georgia. I'm a young self employed male. I do buy and sell (mainly fashion and electronics). Im moving because I need access to a larger metropolitan area for selling locally (Craigslist etc.) .Long Beach is one of my options for moving. Im considering Downtown, Alamitos beach, and Belmont shores area. I mainly looking for a highly walkable/bikable area with close access to stores and groceries. I don't drive. The entire beach area seems pretty walkable. Crime isn't much a concern as long as there aren't constant shootings/robberies/or beggars. I'm looking to rent a 1bedroom under $1300 although I may be able to rent slightly higher. Which of these neighborhoods would you prefer? Any help will be appreciated.
*Chicago is my other option for comparison
*Also how friendly overall are the people in Long Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,593,781 times
I cannot answer rent costs but always loved Belmont Shores...Long Beach is mentally and geographically in between LA and OC--nice gritty city with different sections (some very affluent, some very rough, many in between). Belmont Shores has a great neighborhood feel. Good bike path though the ocean does not get great waves because of breakers. Easy to pop on over to OC or up to LA...airport options include the one in Long Beach and OC as well as LAX. Some college students from nearby CSULB. Has a bit of a rough edge to it but that's what I like about it--people down to earth. Enough professionals in Naples, Belmont Shores and downtown. Has a small town feel yet more urban than suburban. Good restaurants, great sports bar, artsy events, festivals. Marina/boating nearby.

Keep up with the area by reading this:

http://www.gazettes.com

Chicago is a different animal altogether....great city (except Dec 1 through mid March).

Last edited by elchevere; 01-12-2018 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 01:11 AM

6 posts, read 4,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I cannot answer rent costs but always loved Belmont Shores...Long Beach is mentally and geographically in between LA and OC--nice gritty city with different sections (some very affluent, some very rough, many in between). Belmont Shores has a great neighborhood feel. Good bike path though the ocean does not get great waves because of breakers. Easy to pop on over to OC or up to LA...airport options include the one in Long Beach and OC as well as LAX. Some college students from nearby CSULB. Has a bit of a rough edge to it but that's what I like about it--people down to earth. Enough professionals in Naples, Belmont Shores and downtown. Has a small town feel yet more urban than suburban. Good restaurants, great sports bar, artsy events, festivals. Marina/boating nearby.

Keep up with the area by reading this:

gazettes.com | Long Beach's Favorite Community Website

Chicago is a different animal altogether....great city (except Dec 1 through mid March).
Thanks for the advice! I like Long Beach for pretty much the reasons you listed. I'm looking into to mainly downtown, but I'll check out Belmont shores also.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:38 PM

218 posts, read 113,960 times
Join Long Beach facebook if you have fb. That's how I follow my local news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or