Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 2 Reasons you don't use LA Metro transit frequently.
I take Metro frequently, it's fine. 8 22.22%
Metro doesn't go from where I am to where I need to go. 9 25.00%
Metro can get me around, but it takes way too long, especially buses. 12 33.33%
Metro is too confusing to figure out how to get places. 0 0%
Metro is too dangerous. 4 11.11%
Metro doesn't feel scary, but too many dirty/smelly/rude/annoying riders. 16 44.44%
Other. 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:30 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,944,290 times

Advertisements

There have been several reports out recently looking at declining use of Metro Buses (Interestingly Subway and light rail uses has held relatively steady). Most of these reports try to guess at reasons why. The most recent one I saw thinks it is correlated with more people buying cars or taking Uber/Lyft. That doesn't really answer the question: What are the main reasons people don't like to take public transit, and would prefer to drive or take Uber/Lyft?

PICK YOUR TOP TWO FROM THE POLL. If you pick other, please post why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:31 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,577,162 times
The buses suck bad. I took the Silver Line from Downtown to the Harbor Gateway station. Annoying people(***** kept going on and on about how shes a freemason and just loud nonsense, another dude playing his radio super loud), took insanely long, and my back was aching from the seats and sudden stops.

Never had a problem on the Red or Gold Line rail and wish LA had an expansive rail system.

Wish I had my vote back. I would select "Metro doesn't feel scary, but too many dirty/smelly/rude/annoying riders."

Initially I thought the poll was referring to the rail lines as well.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:24 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,944,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The buses suck bad. I took the Silver Line from Downtown to the Harbor Gateway station. Annoying people(***** kept going on and on about how shes a freemason and just loud nonsense, another dude playing his radio super loud), took insanely long, and my back was aching from the seats and sudden stops.

Never had a problem on the Red or Gold Line rail and wish LA had an expansive rail system.

Wish I had my vote back. I would select "Metro doesn't feel scary, but too many dirty/smelly/rude/annoying riders."

Initially I thought the poll was referring to the rail lines as well.
It kind of is referring to the rail lines as well, but the numbers show that rail is holding it's own better than the buses, so I figure most of the issue is with buses.

While I don't like the smelly vagrants or those guys blasting music, I'd still take Metro sometimes if it was somewhat competitive against driving on travel time. For me, with the exception of the Red Line to Union Station, if I don't just miss a train, the time loss from using public transit isn't worth it. If I can Uber/Lyft or drive/park somewhere in 5-10min vs 20-25 min on a bus, it isn't worth it to take the Metro, unless parking is going to be really expensive.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 AM

46 posts, read 31,256 times
You notice that the politicians/activists almost never take the public systems they expect the taxpayers to use.
If it were that wonderful, they would use it themselves.

These are all pork projects that are created so they can skim off the top to supplement their already bloated salaries.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 AM

505 posts, read 497,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post
You notice that the politicians/activists almost never take the public systems they expect the taxpayers to use.

These are all pork projects that are created so they can skim off the top to supplement their already bloated salaries.
Actually, public transit reduces traffic congestion and pollution, among other things. They're not pork projects

I'm a transit "activist" and I ride LA's system all the time - where can I get one of these bloated salaries?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:52 AM

243 posts, read 221,497 times
I take the metro daily from/to work.
I'm not going to say is the best system in the world, but its decent.

Yes! On most occasions the trains are dity, smelly, and a lot of homeless use them to sleep in them. YET! I don't think that's a strong deterrent for me not to use it. You get used to it after a while.

I think the main reason why public transit is so weak in LA is because most people have a place to park wherever they go. I work in dtla, and I don't have that luxury of having somewhere to park unless a pay a ridiculous amount. Hence I take the train.

I'm sure if parking was removed, more people will take the metro.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,079,471 times
Need more patrolmen so they can maintain order. Angry bums, smelly bums, attention seeking lowlifes blasting music (and sh!tty music, too)

Old 02-05-2018, 01:10 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,065,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post

It’s not for them. I think your missing the point that it is to give the public alternative menas of transportation.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM

240 posts, read 237,569 times
I love the Subway - wish there was a stop closer to my house.

But the bus system takes forever and it's complicated to figure out.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,292,552 times
What takes 20 minutes by car is a hour and a half by bus, that's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles