Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:21 PM

240 posts, read 238,077 times

Advertisements

I was able to get my first job in LA without being local. I applied, they did a phone interview with the Asst. District Manager, the next day I did a phone interview with the District Manager who then asked that I meet the Detroit branch DM the next day, and then after that one they offered me the job. 2 weeks later I was driving in a car with the dog & cat and everything I could fit in (furniture to come out later). Stayed in a hotel for 2 nights while I found an apartment I could move into straight away. Slept on the air mattress for 3 months until my boyfriend brought the truck out.

My point is - it's doable. It's not easy, and it's not common, but it's doable. So apply away, find a job, then find housing - and if it's meant to be, it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 11:45 PM

823 posts, read 1,048,320 times
Do it. You've wanted to move here for a long time, and if not now, then when? We regret the things we don't do far more than the things we do.

If you do end up looking at Santa Monica/Westside, maybe take a look at UCLA for employment. Between the university itself and the UCLA Health system, it is a huge employer in Southern California, one of the top five. Big HR division. Multiple locations, not just Westwood.

Best of luck.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:42 AM

34 posts, read 42,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post
I was able to get my first job in LA without being local. I applied, they did a phone interview with the Asst. District Manager, the next day I did a phone interview with the District Manager who then asked that I meet the Detroit branch DM the next day, and then after that one they offered me the job. 2 weeks later I was driving in a car with the dog & cat and everything I could fit in (furniture to come out later). Stayed in a hotel for 2 nights while I found an apartment I could move into straight away. Slept on the air mattress for 3 months until my boyfriend brought the truck out.

My point is - it's doable. It's not easy, and it's not common, but it's doable. So apply away, find a job, then find housing - and if it's meant to be, it will.
I did the same when moving to Atlanta and to Massachusetts. I’m working with a few recruiters. Thank you

Old 03-01-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Do it. You've wanted to move here for a long time, and if not now, then when? We regret the things we don't do far more than the things we do.

If you do end up looking at Santa Monica/Westside, maybe take a look at UCLA for employment. Between the university itself and the UCLA Health system, it is a huge employer in Southern California, one of the top five. Big HR division. Multiple locations, not just Westwood.

Best of luck.
Thank you and you are right. I have wanted to live in CA since 2010 and I never went. I’m positioned and prepared this time.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:31 PM

302 posts, read 451,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post

I agree. When I moved out to SoCal, I had a HR Phone Interview, then a phone interview with the hiring manager, then a third phone interview with the hiring manager and senior level rep in the span of three weeks. I got the job, told them I need a month to get out there and get situated, and I left Chicago. I drove the southern route and made it to LA within 3 days (road trip while long, was a great experience that I'm happy I did. And I only got to experience it because I "went for it".) I stayed at an AirBnB in Santa Monica upon my arrival and loved it. I then hopped from hotel to hotel/airbnb until I could find an apartment I could move into. Some nights/weekends, hotels were cheaper, other nights it would be airbnb. I mostly stayed in the Pasadena area.

I will say this though, I had tough competition trying to rent an apartment that wasn't managed by a professional management company. I remember even offering a higher deposit and $50 more rent per month for some apartment in Glendale in which the landlord had 18 applications for. Lady said I came in 2nd, and if I would've approached her a few days prior, it would've been mine. Other downside is, I ended up using my existing 401K and stock options from my old job as my funding to move. It was about 8 grand worth as backup cash.

Best of luck OP

Old 03-01-2018, 11:52 PM

823 posts, read 1,772,437 times
My head HR convinced the CEO she could do the job remotely in another state with a lower cost of living. She would just fly in a couple times a month. She said many in HR work remotely, so they gave it a chance and it's worked out nicely.

Would your current employer consider this? Maybe you could find an HR job that allows you to work from home PT or FT.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:26 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asha0310 View Post
Additionally, I am confident I will find work and a salary over $80k.
It is wonderful to have that much confidence, I hope it works out, but if you have already been applying for jobs and still don't have one or any serious leads, you might want to re-think something. Confidence does not put food on the table unfortunately.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
My head HR convinced the CEO she could do the job remotely in another state with a lower cost of living. She would just fly in a couple times a month. She said many in HR work remotely, so they gave it a chance and it's worked out nicely.

Would your current employer consider this? Maybe you could find an HR job that allows you to work from home PT or FT.
Unfortunately, I am unable to work remotely. I work for a public school system here.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is wonderful to have that much confidence, I hope it works out, but if you have already been applying for jobs and still don't have one or any serious leads, you might want to re-think something. Confidence does not put food on the table unfortunately.
I appreciate your concern...I will be okay!

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles