Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok, so what exactly does this have to do with homelessness?
If they made $20 hr , which is $41,600 would they still be homeless ?

I guess maybe if they spend all their money on drugs .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:21 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If they made $20 hr , which is $41,600 would they still be homeless ?

I guess maybe if they spend all their money on drugs .
Farm workers don't work all year, if they did they would have an easier time filling positions, most farm labor hires work for 6-12 weeks. But the real question is how would homeless people travel to and from the farms/ranches?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Farm workers don't work all year, if they did they would have an easier time filling positions, most farm labor hires work for 6-12 weeks. But the real question is how would homeless people travel to and from the farms/ranches?
I'll donate money to fund that initiative.

We should both do it.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You went on and on about how this poster should somehow have obtained a degree while working full time, living out of his car--or found a better paying job. Then you admonished him for not saving enough, and you used today's minimum wage figures to calculate exactly what you thought he should have saved, when his hourly wage was previously stated.

Then you told us how people should stop making excuses. Who's making excuses? He was explaining his story: how he ended up homeless for a period of time.
I don't know, guess my experience of having $300 to my name TOTAL, some clothes and no expectation of financial backing or support should everything go to **** when I went out into the world may have colored my views on "how people succeed".

Honestly, I think people put obstacles and barriers in front of themselves sometimes, it could be insecurities, other fears, but definitely barriers that do not need to be there.

Now there are people who have REAL barriers, for instance, someone who was born without two legs and two arms, but then again...

If you're not lazy, you're not fearful, and you're motivated, you can accomplish almost anything. Certainly getting a degree and making a decent living.

That's at least how I've always seen the world.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:24 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I don't know, guess my experience of having $300 to my name TOTAL, some clothes and no expectation of financial backing or support should everything go to **** when I went out into the world may have colored my views on "how people succeed".
Is this before or after the Army?

Quote:
Now there are people who have REAL barriers, for instance, someone who was born without two legs and two arms, but then again...
Yes, we all know about Nick Vujicic, and how he was born with tetra-amelia. A very exceptional man, who had a lot of help after his suicide attempt as a child, during which he was bullied mercilessly.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Is this before or after the Army?
Before.

Quote:
Yes, we all know about Nick Vujicic, and how he was born with tetra-amelia. A very exceptional man, who had a lot of help after his suicide attempt as a child, during which he was bullied mercilessly.
Exceptional in that he wasn't lazy and didn't make excuses. But I know many other people can do the same. People can do amazing things when motivated.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I'll donate money to fund that initiative.

We should both do it.
Great you get it started since you are the self proclaimed business mastermind and once you get it rolling I will definitely chip in.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Great you get it started since you are the self proclaimed business mastermind and once you get it rolling I will definitely chip in.
How much are we talking? Something like this needs a good amount of cash to float it.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Before.

Exceptional in that he wasn't lazy and didn't make excuses. But I know many other people can do the same. People can do amazing things when motivated.
Nick attributes his success to his belief in God, so maybe you could fix the homelessness problem in LA by starting a street ministry?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Nick attributes his success to his belief in God, so maybe you could fix the homelessness problem in LA by starting a street ministry?
Already exist, I donate money to it, and I know the lead pastors. In fact I was just at the Row last Friday, and I will be there next-next Friday night.

The Row Church

Since you LOVE hanging out in the LA Forum, talking about our homeless issues and putting in your 2 cents, can we expect you to throw in another 2 cents to actually help the homeless?

https://give.therowchurch.com/

I'll be looking forward to that donation from Sacramento showing up in the database this week (my company helped develop the website).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles