Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 12:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's shouldn't be puzzling to you. You have been very clear in sharing your belief that everything that happens to a person is a result of poor planning or lack of ambition, I was merely trying to point out what is obvious, that we do not always have control over our destiny.
You still don't get it...most folks don't.

I was in control of my destiny in making the choice to move here.

If an earthquake strikes where I live and I lose everything...it was my decision to move here knowing that this is a possibility therefore I have to take accountability for what happens to me in this event and am 100% responsible for making the decision to move to an earthquake prone place. See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:38 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

If an earthquake strikes where I live and I lose everything...it was my decision to move here knowing that this is a possibility therefore I have to take accountability for what happens to me in this event and am 100% responsible for making the decision to move to an earthquake prone place. See how that works?
Plus I've heard rumors that there is this thing called insurance. It kind of protects you from "destiny" driven events like Earthquakes.

Crazy I know.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:59 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:

Same can be said for people that build houses in the brush filled hills around here and think a fire would never get their house. Last fall a fire burned down houses on a ridge near me. I drove by the still empty lots and saw for sale signs up. Those are smart people.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:06 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Plus I've heard rumors that there is this thing called insurance. It kind of protects you from "destiny" driven events like Earthquakes.

Crazy I know.
Kind of like health insurance - good only when you can afford it.

The financial impact of winning (and losing) the birth lottery

Which reminds me, I think I'll cancel my auto insurance. I'm such a wonderful driver with such superb reflexes, I know I'll never get in a car accident. After all, I am in control of my destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
"By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.”

"Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies have no sense."

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."

The Bible is pretty clear about what God expects of believers.
Yes, Jesus would definitely want the homeless to go without food and shelter. I guess that's why you Christians are so attached to him.

I'm very glad I'm not a believer.
Attached Thumbnails
The Los Angeles Homeless Containment Thread-8531164.png  

Old 04-18-2018, 01:19 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Yeah, it's so hard to get, I mean those privileged Starbucks workers who get health insurance. They had to graduate high school, and apply for the job. What an obstacle.

Quote:
Yes, Jesus would definitely want the homeless to go without food and shelter. I guess that's why you Christians are so attached to him.

I'm very glad I'm not a believer.
No he wouldn't. He also wouldn't want Rome to forcibly take money from people to provide it either.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
If you can afford to buy a house in CA but not the insurance there is something wrong and you most likely should sell the house.

On another note...most people who work in good paying jobs can't afford to buy a house along the coastal cities in CA. The very rich certainly can and turn some of these properties into rental properties...but who in their right mind would want to do that in a state that gives renters more rights than the property owner? Who in their right mind would pay over a million dollars for a house that's not worth 160K?

What a mess CA voters have created for themselves.
Quote:
Which reminds me, I think I'll cancel my auto insurance. I'm such a wonderful driver with such superb reflexes, I know I'll never get in a car accident. After all, I am in control of my destiny.
Another person who does not get it.

I make the decision to ride my motorcycle. You bet I am a very skilled rider...been riding since I was a child.

However if any unforeseen event happens (which is a common occurrence in life) I am fully accountable for how I react to this event. I am fully responsible for carrying insurance as it's a law in addition to a very smart thing to do if you operate any motor vehicle. If I make the decision not to carry insurance then I am fully responsible for the mess I just created for myself if any unforeseen event occurs. I am also accountable for making the decision to purchase a motorcycle and ride it. I am fully accountable for choosing to carry or not to carry insurance. See how that works?

Last edited by Matadora; 04-18-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 04:21 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
"When Gov. Ronald Reagan signed the Mental Health Act of 1967, the legislation signaled a new era in the treatment of mentally ill Californians.

Also known as the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act, the law recognized that not everyone with a mental illness needed to be confined to a state-run psychiatric hospital. Section 5150 established guidelines for the detention of "mentally disordered persons" up to 72 hours for assessment and treatment.

The 1967 law has become a valuable tool for law enforcement agencies and mental health professionals dealing with people living on the street.

But with homelessness surging throughout California, some argue that the 5150 provision needs to be expanded, giving authorities wider latitude in deciding when someone should be removed from the streets."

Should California expand what it means to be 'gravely disabled'?

Old 04-18-2018, 04:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:

I sure do get it, like I said, they should have googled "California earthquakes" before they got on the ship

Old 04-18-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"When Gov. Ronald Reagan signed the Mental Health Act of 1967, the legislation signaled a new era in the treatment of mentally ill Californians.

Also known as the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act, the law recognized that not everyone with a mental illness needed to be confined to a state-run psychiatric hospital. Section 5150 established guidelines for the detention of "mentally disordered persons" up to 72 hours for assessment and treatment.

The 1967 law has become a valuable tool for law enforcement agencies and mental health professionals dealing with people living on the street.

But with homelessness surging throughout California, some argue that the 5150 provision needs to be expanded, giving authorities wider latitude in deciding when someone should be removed from the streets."

Should California expand what it means to be 'gravely disabled'?
I think it should be changed but my concern is that even if they do loosen the definition of gravely disabled nothing will be done simply because most hospitals don't even have psych wards so they keep 5150s in the ER for a few hours, dope em up and make them promise they won't kill themself or anyone else and they're back on the street.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 PM

San Diego is building 'big tents' for the homeless:

Bob McElroy strode through the busy entrance of the vast, gleaming-white tent, greeting people right and left. The prominent homeless services provider calls the new structure, located on the outskirts of downtown San Diego, “the Rolls-Royce of tents”.

"It is double-insulated and has wifi. And it is the sunny seaside destination’s millionaire-funded attempt to get a grip on an emergency that sees thousands of homeless people sleep on its streets every night. The industrial-sized tent holds 324 people in neatly spaced, numbered bunks. People can bring their pets, and 70 dogs also live in the shelter. It offers a bed and services – from healthcare to employment assistance to showers and laundry – while people wait for a place of their own. In appearance, it evokes a military installation or a refugee camp.

“You come in here with nothing and they provide everything,” said Sylvia Saliman, 58.
Saliman sat on her top bunk with Daisy, her American blue nose pitbull, who was napping after a long walk. Saliman said she had been homeless for 16 months and in the shelter for two. She said she’d lost everything except her dog. Thanks to the tent, “I’m doing great right now,” she said".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ness-big-tents

It may not be a perfect solution but it's better than doing nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles