Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 08:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
She offered to sell you a candy bar ? She’s an entrepreneur! Wonder if she received the candy bar in a Garcetti gift basket . I agree , there should be an effort to locate the family members of these people . But otherwise the government needs to take over .
Florida seems to have the right idea ...
Do they? Sounds to me like the Baker act is nothing different than California's 5150 hold which has been used for decades by Police to detain the mentally ill homeless for evaluation. Like the California law it's a 72 hour hold and like the California law it has turned out to be nothing more than a revolving door: Florida's Baker Act

Using involuntary commitment laws to clear the homeless from the streets has never worked. A physician screens the person to determine if they are incapacitated to the level that would warrant involuntary commitment and if they are half way coherent and tell the physician that they would not sleep on the street if there was shelter space offered they will be sent on their merry way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Saw a vagrant woman kick over a Bird scooter this evening -- how brilliantly productive. As I walked past her she offered to sell me a half-eaten candy bar or something. Lovely problem we have here, eh? And those of you who think putting these people in institutions isn't the solution could not be more wrong, so pound your discourse and a handful of sand down a rathole.
You can't confine someone to a mental hospital because they offered to sell you a half eaten candy bar or kicked over a scooter. They have to be in immediate danger of harming themselves or others, just offending your sensibilities isn't cause to commit someone.

I was in San Francisco yesterday and a tourist ran into me with a Bird scooter, maybe they should have been committed too? See how that works

Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 AM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can't confine someone to a mental hospital because they offered to sell you a half eaten candy bar or kicked over a scooter. They have to be in immediate danger of harming themselves or others, just offending your sensibilities isn't cause to commit someone.

The threshold for institutionalization varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and has certainly shifted over time. People like that used to be institutionalized and they still are in other places.

It's apathy and lack of caring for your environment and fellow man dressed up as 'liberalism' that's a problem here. You aren't doing people who can't take care of themselves and who are habitually behaving anti-socially any favors by leaving them to their devices roaming the world. That's maybe what they say they 'want' when prompted, but that's not what they need.

I normally don't consider it my business or the public's business to make people get what they need rather than what they want, but when their behavior crosses a threshold of where it represents a permanent problem for their environment the priorities shift.

Instead we wait until they pull a knife, until they attack random people nearby...so when they're an 'immediate danger' they could end up dead on the sidewalk riddled with bullets, innocent bystanders could be hurt or dead. So who's helped by that? What liberal cause is aided? The 'freedom' to be a derelict bum on the streets is no freedom at all. It's dangerous for them, it's dangerous for us.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The threshold for institutionalization varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and has certainly shifted over time. People like that used to be institutionalized and they still are in other places.
Such as? Not in this state, and not any time in the past 50 years.

What is the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act? - Mental Health Division - LA Court

Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yes and no. There is a federal standard that dictates what states can do, that is found in In O'Connor v. Donaldson, in which the Supreme Court held that a person may not be involuntarily committed if they are non-dangerous and capable of surviving safely independently or with assistance in the community. The interpretation of that varies somewhat but the SCOTUS decision still dictates policy everywhere in the US.

Another decision, In Olmstead v. L.C., the Supreme Court states that segregation of persons with disabilities from community-based programs constitutes unlawful discrimination, and persons with disabilities must receive services in integrated community settings, if appropriate to their treatment needs. Forty-nine states and D.C. mandate that a person eligible for long-term involuntary commitment receive treatment in the least restrictive setting possible, in compliance with the Olmstead decision.

Not sure why I have to say it again, but quit kidding yourself, it is not easy anywhere in the US to rid yourselves of homeless, at least not for more than 72 hours. Maybe it's time to consider building enough supportive housing and shelters, then we could deal with those who refuse to stay in housing either through the criminal justice system or with mental health interventions, dontcha think?

Old 06-03-2018, 11:48 AM

872 posts, read 595,761 times
This baker act and other existing laws are certainly an awesome tool-we have lauras law here in CA lets get the facilities built ASAP and get them off the streets -election day is coming: time to fix this-
The left wants this "homelessness" ramp up to blossom and deteriorate big time... just consider how many law enforcement, emt and fire fighting personnel can reliably budget for 50-100 k (OR MORE) in overtime since dirty jerry and friends starting letting his army out of jail ... you think a cop making 200k a year is going to rush over and endanger themselves to stop some criminal vagrant who is actually helping the cop pay for an expensive lifestyle? Just show up (if at all) and write about it--- you'll be safe cuz you have a gun and you get to safely procure that OT! You'd think the cops and firefighters would be on the front line of wanting law and order-- ahhhhh the unions.... patriots all of them.... give them medals for not taking the last maple glazed long john during a active shooter situation when five million cops show up in swat gear for one or two criminals... its takes a heck of an officer to leave a tasty long john for a fellow officer in a life or death situation like that.. anyhow - I guess we'll see how the election turns out--maybe we'll have to fight with them about that too--- lots and lots of money on the line with this homeless "program" puttting the criminals and loonies into nice, clean facilities and giving the streets and parks back to innocent people like children and the elderly is gonna mean a real economic reversal for a lot of people...
Nice safe facilities that restore law and order to our beleaguered communities are the LAST thing the piggy, inhumane left wing wants for the US or California... they like to see suffering all around for some $trange reason-- they will defend it and their army till the bettor end it seems.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:52 AM

The more the left says fixing this and getting the secure, supervised facilities away from cities and towns can't be done - the more everyone knows its the best and right thing to do and needs to be done... wonder why nobody believes the lefties ( even themselves)--???? credibility chasm based on historical and current behaviors and results--- the laws are in place, let's insist that our hired and elected personnel get on it - NOW!

Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

I was in San Francisco yesterday and a tourist ran into me with a Bird scooter, maybe they should have been committed too? See how that works
I'm sorry that you want people who need mental help to continue to wallow in their misery. I'm a compassionate person who wants vagrants to be alleviated of their mental anguish. Furthermore, I'm extremely disheartened by your callous attitude and I'll pray that you and others with your attitude will find a way to feel compassion for those in need.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:01 PM

YES!! We need to pray AND act!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:03 PM

ONE innocent person that can't use clean and safe public or private areas without involuntarily feeling unclean or unsafe
OR
ONE business owner or worker that has to involuntarily deal with crime, harassment and business loss due to the deteriorating state of our communities due to
the liberals
OR
ONE "homeless" person that needs to be away from people and places they can harm
OR
ONE "homeless " person that simply wants to be somewhere safe and clean and maybe wants another chance or an education is worth whatever it takes- it's way past due and there needs to be a reliable system in place for the next ONE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles