Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 05:54 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I absolutely agree with you, it's very easy for very responsible people to start to find themselves in trouble if they lose their job, if it comes down to feeding yourself or your kids vs. paying the Visa bill, you're going to get groceries.

But people who have invested more in something whether it be a house, a car, or a relationship or a marriage are going to make more effort than someone who has invested nothing.

When I say "whatever it takes" I don't mean robbing a bank to pay the mortgage, but like I just said when you have more of yourself(in this case your money), most will make more of an effort to hold onto it than someone who put zero down.
True as a broad generalization ... lots of exceptions. That was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:11 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I'm not getting your meaning here ... rephrase/explain?
I'll DM you.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I can “admit” that building the camps is generous in and of itself.
What's "generous" about it? And once again, how is it providing more than shelters do currently?

Quote:
We have no duty to do anything for bums.
If you really believe that, there's not much point in discussing the topic.

"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members." -Pope John Paul II

Old 02-18-2018, 06:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
I can “admit” that building the camps is generous in and of itself. We have no duty to do anything for bums. If people need short term assistance, our existing systems could be enhanced. No matter what, accepting the status quo as a way of life is not an option. They need to be removed and assistance must only be short term.
You should run for political office, you're a natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What's "generous" about it? And once again, how is it providing more than shelters do currently?

"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members." -Pope John Paul II

Well said.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

I am not a believer, let alone a Catholic. In fact, I believe that excessive altruism is a problem in modern society.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-18-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
I am not a believer, let alone a Catholic. In fact, I believe that excessive altruism is a problem in modern society.
There is a difference between weak because of things beyond their control and stupid.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM

872 posts, read 595,907 times

How about the way that jerry and the liberals treated the grandma in Koreatown? anyone think the "homeless" are the weakest members?

Let get them somewhere safe and away from everyone else till we find a better way...who knows maybe they will like being in a facility where they can get a shower and a cot and food..and health care etc...

Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Let get them somewhere safe and away from everyone else till we find a better way...who knows maybe they will like being in a facility where they can get a shower and a cot and food..and health care etc...
They already receive all of that at a shelter. Nothing "safe" about rounding people up and putting them somewhere secluded.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:16 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
L.A. County's homeless problem is worsening despite billions from tax measures

Old 02-19-2018, 08:20 AM

^^ from that link:

Peter Lynn, executive director of the homeless authority, said that the situation isn't as bleak as the numbers might suggest, because the county's multi-pronged homelessness initiative is still gearing up and the new funding is only starting to have an effect.

In creating the previous analysis, officials didn't know what the funding would look like. But with the passage of both measures, Lynn said, "there are very serious dollars behind filling that gap."

Now, he added, "we have a plan for deploying new permanent supportive housing through Proposition HHH and Measure H. That does give us a way forward."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles