Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 04:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yes, but once again I ask, why is it some people can come here with merely the cloths on their back, yet they manage to stay off the streets?
And why are some groups that come to the United States with nothing, so much more successful than these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 07:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Just came across this .

——
LA-HOP is designed to assist people experiencing homelessness in Los Angeles County with outreach services. We’ll use this information to dispatch a homeless services outreach team to the area.

Concerned about homelessness? Wondering how to get outreach help for people in need? A new online tool puts the power of help at your fingertips. Find out how you can be part of the solution—visit la-hop.org.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Concerned about homelessness? Wondering how to get outreach help for people in need? A new online tool puts the power of help at your fingertips. Find out how you can be part of the solution—visit la-hop.org.
Although it's doubtful that many homeless people have access to a computer. Check out the clip of Dr. Drew Pinsky speaking with homeless people on Skid Row.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:16 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You dislike Sacramento ‘s system of trying to get homeless to be self sufficient. You knew that. That was the topic. That was your post. Therefore I can only conclude that you are either an internet troll or that you have limited reading comprehension issues.
Speaking of reading comprehension. That is not at all what I took from reading her post. You really twist people's words around.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Although it's doubtful that many homeless people have access to a computer. Check out the clip of Dr. Drew Pinsky speaking with homeless people on Skid Row.
In Los Angeles many homeless use the public libraries and they all have computers there. Many seem to have cell phones as well .

But this looks like it’s more if you see someone homeless to submit a request and they will supposedly send out an outreach team , but of course who knows if they’ll do anything and we know many homeless turn down services too .

Old 11-02-2018, 08:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You dislike Sacramento ‘s system of trying to get homeless to be self sufficient. You knew that. That was the topic. That was your post. Therefore I can only conclude that you are either an internet troll or that you have limited reading comprehension issues.
Oh my I struck a nerve! I never said that help should be permanent, although it probably would be for the elderly, disabled or severely mentally ill. The program I described, rapid rehousing, should never be used for the unemployed homeless it should be reserved for people who have a job or other means of support and just need a place to stay until they can get back on their feet. It's absurd to think that a person who has been sleeping on the sidewalk will somehow be able to pay $1000 a month when their rapid rehousing voucher expires in 6 months, do you really want to argue that?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's kind of an odd question because most homeless people don't come here, they are already here. And I don't know what you mean about 'manage to stay off the streets'? There are homeless people who live in cars, or stay away from places where they might be seen. I give dog food to an old guy who sleeps behind a strip mall with permission from the owner, in the morning he picks up his belongings and cleans up after himself. He spends the rest of the day walking around with his little dog. And there are homeless who live in their cars or in RV's so you're not seeing them in tents on the sidewalk. But I don't really see how any person with nothing more than their clothes could manage to find housing unless maybe they can sleep in mom's garage or pitch a tent in a friends backyard. If you could be more specific maybe I could give you a better answer
When people migrate here with next to nothing and who can barely speak English, they manage to find a place to live. Why is it then that people with a home court advantage cannot find a place to live and they need to live out on the streets, just as in the image jm1982 posted?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
When people migrate here with next to nothing and who can barely speak English, they manage to find a place to live. Why is it then that people with a home court advantage cannot find a place to live and they need to live out on the streets, just as in the image jm1982 posted?
“Home court advantage?” Since when is being an American:
schizophrenic or
cancer patient or
domestically abused partner
... et al
an “advantage” over an able-bodied immigrant?

That said, what if we, just for the sake of simplicity in debate, agree that all the American homeless are quite defective in their intellect, character, mental health, addictive weaknesses, criminality ... and so forth ... and proceed from there to point out that these immigrants are superior workers and of high character and motivation.

Now then, the question of what to do with streets full of defective Americans remains exactly the same ... whether compared to awesome immigrants or not.

In other words, what difference does it make to clearing the streets if immigrants are superior?

What a completely silly tangential argument to make. The homeless are a mess and burden on the streets whatever the case. Now, how will you propose to legally, constitutionally, practically, and affordably get these defectives off the streets?

Back to your “electric cattle prods” proposal, Exitus?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:25 PM

Long Beach residents are fed up with the criminal homeless in their area and are now doing
“Patrols “ to take back their neighborhood.

Had a feeling that something like this would happen due to the lax response from local officials.

Those out of the area that don’t live in L.A county or SoCal might not realize that there has been a rising criminal element among the homeless.

—-

dawn Friday through the Belmont Shore neighborhood, protesting what participants called a “criminal element” in the oceanfront community’s growing homeless encampments.

But Barry Vince, who spearheaded the event, said that although he has “great compassion” for homeless people, the police need help reining in a criminal fringe that steals kids’ bikes, breaks into homes and leaves syringes and needles in the streets.
“What changed for me is the safety of our homes and our families is now in question,” said Vince, a lifelong Belmont Shore resident and owner of a high-tech staffing company. “We want to let them know we’re here, we’re compassionate, but we’re also angry.”

Long Beach citizen patrols face off with counter-protesters over growing homeless encampments - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Are you talking about illegal immigrants? Most have family or friends in the US and stay with them, I thought most people knew that. Or..they find an out of the way farm or ranchero where they are welcomed. In Northern California a rancher with 37 acres decided to make some extra money and allowed illegals to live there in trailers, broke down cars or even in tents. Someone who lives near there said there were at least 100 immigrant families living there. I heard the county was trying to do something about it but when I drove by about a month ago it still looked like little Tijuana. The least likely place an illegal immigrant will sleep would be on the streets of a major city, they know how to fly under the radar and they are real good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles