Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Having lived in Venice back when Abbott Kinney was Washington Blvd, I can only imagine what it would be like to have homeless housing going up across the street from your home. This father's perspective is worth listening to, though.

"I live on Sunset Avenue in Venice, right across the street from three of the most contested empty acres in the city. You might have read about it: A couple of weeks ago at a town hall meeting, dozens of angry Venetians shouted down Mayor Eric Garcetti and Councilman Mike Bonin. Some in my neighborhood really don’t want the city to build transitional housing for the homeless on those 3 acres. I get their reasons, but I can’t join them. My daughter won’t let me."

How I learned to love homeless housing in my neighborhood
More LAtimes propaganda. Why is his perspective so valuable yet the countless voices that came out in opposition, not worth hearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 AM

872 posts, read 595,907 times
Life long criminals with no desire to do anything (because cause everything is free and crime isn't punished) released into our communities to get free needles (and what else). Hideous crime is for the fun money---fork it over people or else!!.. mentally ill forced to wander outside all winter to hold communities hostage for the overall agenda- the constantly flushing money toilet of "transitional and temporary housing" programs that only make matters worse....
suffering for many---designed to make money for the few... the false stories are paid or propaganda--the truth- is what we all see-- don't subscribe or watch the garbage ,,,millions and millions of OUR dollars for 125 beds????? keep the pressure on till the facilities are built and inhabited...

Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
More LAtimes propaganda. Why is his perspective so valuable yet the countless voices that came out in opposition, not worth hearing?
Because viewpoints that are uniquely alternate to the prevailing are interesting for open minds to consider ... and they provide valuable perspective ... and they sell media.

If you don’t like considering alternate views, why do you participate and argue in this forum.?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Because viewpoints that are uniquely alternate to the prevailing are interesting for open minds to consider ... and they provide valuable perspective ... and they sell media.

If you don’t like considering alternate views, why do you participate and argue in this forum.?
Ok then, in that spirit of opening minds...What concerns of the protesting Venetians would you say are the most concerning in general?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ok then, in that spirit of opening minds...What concerns of the protesting Venetians would you say are the most concerning in general?
You asked a question as to why the news covered the opinion as reported. I gave you an answer. As you aren’t actually interested in other opinions, I won’t offer you any further ... if you wanted to know, you could read lots from others.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:06 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I walk into McDonald's and interview for a job. The manager says "what is the least amount you will work for?" And I say "$8 an hour", and the manager says "ok how about $15 an hour?"
We both know that doesn't happen. Stop making stuff up simply because you dislike me.

The answer is here. I can explain it to you all day long, but I cannot understand it for you.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
We both know that doesn't happen. Stop making stuff up simply because you dislike me.

The answer is here. I can explain it to you all day long, but I cannot understand it for you.
Uh Sport ... that was exactly Sleepy’s point: what YOU presented as a scenario? Doesn’t happen. YOU used the example.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

actually it is going to happen when min wage hits 15.00 a hour for people not working under the table.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I wouldn’t say that you lack humility. But I would say you lack understanding.
Oh, I understand -- and I disagree.

Quote:
Aside from all that, I appreciate your commitment to your close family - even if you don’t grasp the family of man in the same manner.
I grasp the transformative power of individual hard work. I see the transformative power of understanding life is like salmon swimming upstream where not all make it, and in particular the human spirit of many who buckle down and do what it takes to make it. I remember that I had to make a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter last 10 days. Hunger -- and fear of hunger -- are wonderful motivators. I could go into some detail about working hard and working smart to generate money - some things that are pretty extreme. Some of us do what we must.

I refused to be defined by my circumstances. Many people instead seem to give up. Perhaps they need some coaching. Perhaps they need to unlearn bad habits. Perhaps they need a drill instructor type person to motivate them to achieve things they never thought possible.

Have you ever read Michael Dell's account making money as a kid? Dell had an interest in business. Eager to speed up his education, Dell sent for information that would prepare him for a test that would give him his high school diploma. He was eight years old at the time.

Dell did stay in school, but spent a good deal of his time looking for ways to earn money. At age twelve, he started a business that sold stamps by mail to collectors. He earned $2,000. In high school, Dell sold subscriptions for a local newspaper. He figured that people just married or who had just bought new homes in Houston would be likely customers. So, Dell hired friends to help him check courthouse records for newly married couples, and he scanned the listings of new home purchases. By selling to those two specific groups, Dell made $18,000 in one year selling subscriptions. His income amazed his history teacher—she made less that year than Dell did.

That's hustling. I wish I had thought of the idea of checking courthouse records for newly married couples & new home purchases back when I was in high school. The point isn't the $18K; it is the mindset that there are opportunities to be discovered all around us - most all of which require some smart work and hard work. That can transform you. It is the opposite of the "poor me, life gave me lemons" attitude.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Uh Sport ... that was exactly Sleepy’s point: what YOU presented as a scenario? Doesn’t happen. YOU used the example.
Not my example -- What I said doesn't happen is Sleepy's absurd modification/hypothetical negotiation:

Quote:
The manager says "what is the least amount you will work for?" And I say "$8 an hour", and the manager says "ok how about $15 an hour?
That doesn't happen any more often than an interviewee saying to the manager, "OK, what is the absolute most you will pay for this job."

Everyone who has successfully interviewed for a job (at least in the private sector), and everyone who has ever purchased a used car or even new car, understands that information is valuable and negotiations take place to extract information and achieve a more favorable result.

The seller and the buyer both seek information that allow them to get the best deal. Either one of two things happen:

* A voluntary seller and a voluntary buyer agree to a price each is willing to accept and they make a transaction (just as occurs with a voluntary employer and a voluntary job applicant.)

* They don't find a price acceptable to both, and no transaction occurs.

In the real world, that employee never knows the maximum the employer would be willing to pay, just as the employer will never know the minimum the employee would be willing to take. Information is hidden. When the transaction occurs, we know it satisfied both, and hence both are better off. That is value creation in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles