Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 01:46 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Good for Oakland finally moving these folks off of public land. The reason CA has such a high homeless population is due to laxed laws and enabling them to do whatever they want without any consequences for their behaviors. You can clearly see chopped up bikes in this video...the homeless her are brazen about setting up bike chop shops in broad view because they know nothing will be done about it.

City of Oakland Clears Homeless from Lake Merritt
90% of California’s homeless are and have been California residents for years before becoming homeless. The reason California has such a high number and rate of homeless is the same reason Hawaii, Seattle, Portland, Boston, washington, D.C., have similarly high rates of homelessness: cost and availability of housing. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Good for Oakland finally moving these folks off of public land. The reason CA has such a high homeless population is due to laxed laws and enabling them to do whatever they want without any consequences for their behaviors. You can clearly see chopped up bikes in this video...the homeless her are brazen about setting up bike chop shops in broad view because they know nothing will be done about it.

Did you even watch the video? What Oakland did was legal and a judge had already ruled that it was BECAUSE they gave the people 90 days notice and offered them housing, and they are also offering to store their tents for free for 90 days. The action that was taken was appropriate and humane & I have no problem with it.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:50 PM

872 posts, read 595,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
ch 4 Streets of Shame is going further then any other news channel I've seen locally. I'm actually very surprised that crime isn't worse then it is seeing there are few and no repercussions. They even said on that segment that this homeless situation is going to get worse in the year to come.
I think they meant the vagrant crime situation !!!

With billions more per year to be pocketed- the vagrant wranglers will be seeing to it that there will be more and more vagrants thrown out of the facilities they were in. The vagrants are worth much more helping the vagrant wranglers pitch for "service" and "housing" programs that will do nothing to rehab or educate the vagrant masses much less help any person or community in particular.

The reporters are brave to be exposing themselves to the ire of the "public servant' and "advocate" vagrant wranglers - this is serious money and the wranglers obviously have no conscience when it comes to anyone getting hurt if they stand in the way of the cash flow .

Old 02-15-2019, 03:55 PM

872 posts, read 595,761 times
Quote:

Wow! Just a few years ago that city was really coming around! I hope they build their own detention/rehab facility!!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh? I didn’t realize you set the allowable agenda for “discussion”. Is there a process by which hopeful posters can submit a request for other topics relating to homelessness?

That said, I’m not sure I see how my questions deviate from discussing homeless crime, and even its frequency. I am confronting your, and others’, trying to imply that the frequency / quantities cited are meaningful, especially given the qualifying statements of the LAPD officials quoted in the linked articles.

Now this is a sad example of your myopia re: homelessness in LA. There have been quite a number of posts in “the past dozen pages” presenting reports on housing programs and solutions being enacted. Yet you apparently only read those relating to crime? Hmm.

In any case, you still haven’t answered my questions regarding crime. Seems a pattern.
You're not one to lecture others on myopia. Furthermore, those of us who actually live here know by empirical study that the homeless are more dangerous than people who are not mentally disturbed.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You're not one to lecture others on myopia. Furthermore, those of us who actually live here know by empirical study that the homeless are more dangerous than people who are not mentally disturbed.
Still haven’t answered my questions.

Empirical anecdotal observations are not “studies”.

And people who cite copious, verifiable data and research that spans all aspects of issues - are not myopic.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:20 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Still haven’t answered my questions.

Empirical anecdotal observations are not “studies”.

And people who cite copious, verifiable data and research that spans all aspects of issues - are not myopic.
Yes, they are studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_research

You're welcome.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did you even watch the video?
Yep from beginning to end. Why do ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What Oakland did was legal and a judge had already ruled that it was BECAUSE they gave the people 90 days notice and offered them housing, and they are also offering to store their tents for free for 90 days. The action that was taken was appropriate and humane & I have no problem with it.
I know...I am the one who posted the video.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Yep from beginning to end. Why do ask?
I know...I am the one who posted the video.
I asked because this was your comment:

"Good for Oakland finally moving these folks off of public land. The reason CA has such a high homeless population is due to laxed laws and enabling them to do whatever they want without any consequences for their behaviors. You can clearly see chopped up bikes in this video...the homeless her are brazen about setting up bike chop shops in broad view because they know nothing will be done about it."

Lax laws have nothing to do with this. Federal court rulings are what allow the homeless to sleep in public areas, it's not laziness or negligence on the part of local law enforcement. The laws allowing the homeless to sleep on public land are from federal court decisions, not local laws. Oakland did the right thing by following the law and legally removing them from their encampment, but that required them to find housing for them, something most cities doesn't seem to be willing or able to do.

And I am not sure what 'chopped up bikes' have to do with this? Cops can't do anything about that. People who report their bike stolen almost never know the serial number and there's no way you could hire enough cops to have a 'bicycle task force'.

Why not just commend Oakland without trying to blame local law enforcement for a situation that they have very little ability to solve.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yes, they are studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_research

You're welcome.
Welcome for what? Read your own link. You aren’t conducting “empirical research.” You are, as I said (and requote below) making:
Quote:

Empirical anecdotal observations
... which are not research “studies”.

And fair to assume now that you still won’t answer my questions because they vaporize your arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles