Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 12:58 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The police are laxed from enforcing laws which is why SF, LA and other cities in CA have so many homeless issues.
I never stated otherwise but a person should be arrested for this type of behavior as well as for setting up living quarters on public land that is not intended for that purpose.
Please explain why you think the government is responsible for providing housing to able bodied people?
So if a person has 100 of cars in on their property with the the VIN # removed you don't think the police can make a case?
You really should stick to subjects that you know something about. The VIN number is a unique identifier that is place in several areas of the car. A good chop shop immediately removes the parts of the vehicle that bear the VIN and dispose of them. Unless the car owner has another way to positively identify their vehicle, i.e. personal property somewhere in the car or something that makes the vehicle unique, without a VIN # it is impossible to prove it's stolen. Same with bicycles.
Quote:
The police can indeed arrest a person suspected of a felony crime.
Who said otherwise? But stealing a bike worth less than $950 is a misdemeanor.
Quote:
Glad to see Long Beach cracking down. Long Beach considers bicycle ‘chop shop’ crackdown
The police in SF are up against this mentality when simply trying to enforce laws.
I suppose you see nothing here that warrants the police getting tougher on bike chop shops?
Inside San Francisco's stolen bike warehouse
I never stated otherwise.
LOL ditto!
Your SF Gate article summarized the problem quite well:

"You see a suspicious guy with a bike, you run the serial number and it comes back negative, so what you have is a guy with an expensive bike," Friedman said. "What do you arrest him for? It's the same with the chop shops. If I'm going to take somebody's liberties away, I've got to have proof."

Which is exactly what I have been trying to explain to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 01:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You really should stick to subjects that you know something about. The VIN number is a unique identifier that is place in several areas of the car. A good chop shop immediately removes the parts of the vehicle that bear the VIN and dispose of them. Unless the car owner has another way to positively identify their vehicle, i.e. personal property somewhere in the car or something that makes the vehicle unique, without a VIN # it is impossible to prove it's stolen. Same with bicycles.
Moving the goal posts eh?

So you are going to tell me that a person with 100's of cars or car parts with the VIN# missing or altered is nothing suspicious and the police don't need to investigate?
Quote:
Who said otherwise?
You
Quote:
But stealing a bike worth less than $950 is a misdemeanor.
Do you wonder why I used the word felony? Because I'm talking about felony theft not misdemeanor theft.
Quote:
Your SF Gate article summarized the problem quite well:

"You see a suspicious guy with a bike, you run the serial number and it comes back negative, so what you have is a guy with an expensive bike," Friedman said. "What do you arrest him for? It's the same with the chop shops. If I'm going to take somebody's liberties away, I've got to have proof."
A guy on suspicious guy on a bike and the police are worried about running the SN vs. dealing with the suspicious guy on a bike? LOL

A "suspicious guy on a bike" is not the same as a bike chop shop.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:12 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Moving the goal posts eh?

So you are going to tell me that a person with 100's of cars or car parts with the VIN# missing or altered is nothing suspicious and the police don't need to investigate?
You
Do you wonder why I used the word felony? Because I'm talking about felony theft not misdemeanor theft.
A guy on suspicious guy on a bike and the police are worried about running the SN vs. dealing with the suspicious guy on a bike? LOL

A "suspicious guy on a bike" is not the same as a bike chop shop.
Wow! talk about moving the goalposts! I never said stolen cars shouldn't be investigated. You were not talking about felony theft, you were talking about bicycle thefts and most bicycles are not worth more than $950 and I have no idea what the heck your last sentence is about. Why don't you just stop now, you are starting to look silly.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Wow! talk about moving the goalposts! You were not talking about felony theft, you were talking about bicycle thefts and most bicycles are not worth more than $950 and I have no idea what the heck your last sentence is about.
Please brush up on your reading comprehnsion.

This is what I posted: So if a person has 100's of cars on their property or in storage with the the VIN#'s removed you don't think the police can make a case?

The police can indeed arrest a person suspected of a felony crime.

BART Arrest & Discovery of Bike Chop Shop

Bike Chop shop = more than $950 = felony theft. I stated felony arrest for a reason.
Quote:
Why don't you just stop now, you are starting to look silly.
Speak for yourself and while you're at it at least answer the questions I've asked instead of trying to move the goalposts as an attempt to deflect from answering.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:34 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
No one is asking the right questions here.

Why are politicians so intent on protecting drug addicts at the expense of taxpaying citizens and the public good? No matter how much they are receiving in homeless funding it doesn't exceed the increased costs of the mayhem created by having heroin and meth addicts openly shooting up and defecating on the streets. They ban plastic straws, yet give out millions of throw away needles. They decriminalize drug crimes and petty theft crimes committed by addicts. They give out millions of doses of narcan.

Why do politicians need these people alive, on the streets and continuing their addiction?

Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Why are politicians so intent on protecting drug addicts at the expense of taxpaying citizens and the public good? No matter how much they are receiving in homeless funding it doesn't exceed the increased costs of the mayhem created by having heroin and meth addicts openly shooting up and defecating on the streets. They ban plastic straws, yet give out millions of throw away needles. They decriminalize drug crimes and petty theft crimes committed by addicts. They give out millions of doses of narcan.

Why do politicians need these people alive, on the streets and continuing their addiction?
Excellent question.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:14 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Why are politicians so intent on protecting drug addicts at the expense of taxpaying citizens and the public good? ?
Please tell us how "politicians are protecting drug addicts at the expense of taxpaying citizens."

Is your homeless population in Pittsburgh being treated differently?

Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:

Good questions!! My guess is money is the root of all evil

Old 02-17-2019, 03:43 PM

872 posts, read 595,262 times
Quote:

Finper nailed it again-
Good yet rhetorical question- they are beyond greedy and have no conscience. They have the ability to take and take they do- the more they take, the worse it has gotten.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Hope for Home, a year round shelter in Pomona, is profiled in the above L.A. Times article ("L.A. has great weather. So why do more homeless people die of the cold here than in New York?")

Pomona opens doors to its year-round homeless shelter, the first in the region: https://www.dailybulletin.com/2018/1...in-the-region/

How cash-strapped Pomona bit the bullet and came up with a solution for its homeless residents:
https://www.dailybulletin.com/2018/0...ess-residents/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles