U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,305 posts, read 17,116,971 times
Reputation: 12206

Advertisements

It's really unfortunate this is only being done because of the terrible Skirball fire but it's good they are finally working to remove these encampments that should of never been there .

As mentioned in article below residents living near these encampments have been complaining about them a long time.

No encampments should be tolerated anywhere in the city .

Would be great to have some common sense people running the place .
----
In the wake of December’s Skirball fire, which was believed to have been started in a homeless encampment, the Los Angeles Fire Department has assembled a list of 76 brush-heavy hillside areas where there may be encampments that pose a high fire risk.

A task force of city and county officials was formed in January to work on removing such encampments, with priority being given to regions with the highest fire danger.


The recent blazes put the spotlight on the presence of homeless encampments in brush areas and the fire risks they pose, something many nearby residents have long been aware of and have complained about to city leaders.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/07...officials-say/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2018, 09:37 AM
 
292 posts, read 394,498 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's really unfortunate this is only being done because of the terrible Skirball fire but it's good they are finally working to remove these encampments that should of never been there .

As mentioned in article below residents living near these encampments have been complaining about them a long time.

No encampments should be tolerated anywhere in the city .

Would be great to have some common sense people running the place .
----
In the wake of December’s Skirball fire, which was believed to have been started in a homeless encampment, the Los Angeles Fire Department has assembled a list of 76 brush-heavy hillside areas where there may be encampments that pose a high fire risk.

A task force of city and county officials was formed in January to work on removing such encampments, with priority being given to regions with the highest fire danger.


The recent blazes put the spotlight on the presence of homeless encampments in brush areas and the fire risks they pose, something many nearby residents have long been aware of and have complained about to city leaders.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/07...officials-say/

Maybe if the city and the shelters stopped playing games, stopped stealing funds meant to help the homeless and using it to build "committees" and pocketing it (what happened to that 1 billion dollars the city got last year to "fix" this? I saw no changes!), re-opened New Image as a year round drop in shelter, and maybe drop the snotty, apathetic attitudes, the problem would not be nearly as bad as it is now.

Yes, they are clearing encampments. They want a ____ing medal or something? But because they didn't try to tackle the ROOT causes of homelessness, they will be back, or they will just set up elsewhere in the city. They are just rearranging the chairs here folks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,305 posts, read 17,116,971 times
Reputation: 12206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
Maybe if the city and the shelters stopped playing games, stopped stealing funds meant to help the homeless and using it to build "committees" and pocketing it (what happened to that 1 billion dollars the city got last year to "fix" this? I saw no changes!), re-opened New Image as a year round drop in shelter, and maybe drop the snotty, apathetic attitudes, the problem would not be nearly as bad as it is now.

Yes, they are clearing encampments. They want a ____ing medal or something? But because they didn't try to tackle the ROOT causes of homelessness, they will be back, or they will just set up elsewhere in the city. They are just rearranging the chairs here folks.
It almost seems like the more billions raised for homelessness " the worse it gets right ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 11:48 AM
 
Location: So Ca
19,390 posts, read 17,517,888 times
Reputation: 16971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
what happened to that 1 billion dollars the city got last year to "fix" this? I saw no changes!
Prop HHH (the 1.2 billion bond measure) passed in November. The funds are now starting to be used.

In the decades following World War II, when the suburbs were young and the car was king, Los Angeles went on a land-buying spree.

The city bought parcels in every size and shape, demolished any buildings on them and opened parking lots to serve emerging commercial districts.

By the 1970s the buying had mostly stopped, and today these 119 public lots blend into the urban quilt all but indistinguishable from their free-market competitors.

But now the city is cultivating plans that could transform much of that land again, this time from asphalt to multistory apartment buildings to house chronically homeless people.


A plan to house L.A.'s homeless residents could transform parking lots across the city
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:07 PM
 
131 posts, read 85,941 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Prop HHH (the 1.2 billion bond measure) passed in November. The funds are now starting to be used.

In the decades following World War II, when the suburbs were young and the car was king, Los Angeles went on a land-buying spree.

The city bought parcels in every size and shape, demolished any buildings on them and opened parking lots to serve emerging commercial districts.

By the 1970s the buying had mostly stopped, and today these 119 public lots blend into the urban quilt all but indistinguishable from their free-market competitors.

But now the city is cultivating plans that could transform much of that land again, this time from asphalt to multistory apartment buildings to house chronically homeless people.


A plan to house L.A.'s homeless residents could transform parking lots across the city

L.A. is setting itself up to be the #1 homeless destination in the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:17 PM
 
Location: So Ca
19,390 posts, read 17,517,888 times
Reputation: 16971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
L.A. is setting itself up to be the #1 homeless destination in the country.
Interesting that in New York City (which has a larger homeless population than Los Angeles), 95% of its homeless are sheltered, whereas it's 25% of our homeless population. We're obviously doing something wrong.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...462449073.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,537 posts, read 8,340,674 times
Reputation: 8343
BUILD THE CAMPS!
BUILD THE CAMPS!
BUILD THE CAMPS!


Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,438,802 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Prop HHH (the 1.2 billion bond measure) passed in November. The funds are now starting to be used.

In the decades following World War II, when the suburbs were young and the car was king, Los Angeles went on a land-buying spree.

The city bought parcels in every size and shape, demolished any buildings on them and opened parking lots to serve emerging commercial districts.

By the 1970s the buying had mostly stopped, and today these 119 public lots blend into the urban quilt all but indistinguishable from their free-market competitors.

But now the city is cultivating plans that could transform much of that land again, this time from asphalt to multistory apartment buildings to house chronically homeless people.


A plan to house L.A.'s homeless residents could transform parking lots across the city
"If you build it they will come"

And they will stay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:52 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,438,802 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting that in New York City (which has a larger homeless population than Los Angeles), 95% of its homeless are sheltered, whereas it's 25% of our homeless population. We're obviously doing something wrong.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...462449073.html
I would think shelters or some kind of lodging is necessary because of winter. I mean you can't have people freezing to death. California has perfect weather for sleeping outside.

My friends and I had backyard forts and... hmmm... suddenly thinking of tree houses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,203,056 times
Reputation: 36125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting that in New York City (which has a larger homeless population than Los Angeles), 95% of its homeless are sheltered, whereas it's 25% of our homeless population. We're obviously doing something wrong.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...462449073.html
Because you can sleep outside here and not freeze to death or get buried alive by snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
BUILD THE CAMPS!
BUILD THE CAMPS!
BUILD THE CAMPS!


Bob.
Calm down Adolph.

We're not quite a police state yet, where you can just cart people off like Nazi Germany.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top