Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I’m sure she will be considered a great civil rights icon for “fighting for her rights” and the Ellen show is calling her in 3...2...1.
Sadly I wouldn’t be surprised.

Bar for “civil rights icon” is low these days .

Look at Colin Kaepernick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Does the twitter chick complaining about saddling the country with debt realize that Obama doubled our debt ?
She doesn't realize lynchings and the Baby Boomer generation are different periods of history either.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Unfortunately many millenials think law and order and rules are something that only others have to follow and that obeying the law is only for the "poors" rather than people like them.

This is more of a millenial thing rather than something connected to one ethnic group.
I agree, but I also think they have an attitude that if you're poor or working class, that's an excuse to be a jerk. The system is stacked for the rich and privileged so we don't have to obey the rules, yada yada.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Majoun is right that age has something to do with it. The rudeness to cops, the refusal to cooperate, the cursing, the identity politics and victimology, the “opposing the man” feeling...not millennial creations, but they sure have run with it.
Exactly, it used to be unheard of to put your feet up on the seat, whether it be a plane, bus, or subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Yeah, I hate millenials that act offended to everything.

But we are more awoken to how things actually work. I'm not gonna respect a cop just because he's a cop. Everyone has a default level of respect regardless of uniform. So they can either lose points in that respect or gain them. Of course I can't really just disrespect a cop. But I don't automatically look at a cop as some angel.

You give a jerk a badge and a gun, they're still a jerk.

A lot of younger folks are seeing through more of the BS.
You're more awoken? Please, I see younger people(and older people as well) walking around with their heads down, not looking when crossing the street, not looking when walking through a parking lot, looking up everything on your phone doesn't make you smarter, having the knowledge in your head makes you smarter.

I recently saw the documentary "Woodstock" for the first time in many years, it was about a rock festival in upstate in NY in the summer of 1969.

What I found interesting(and this was before my time) is a storm was coming up, these drugged out hippies knew enough(without someone telling them) to take cover.

Flash foward to today, people(especially younger ones) need to be told what to do, don't think for themselves. A couple of years ago same scenario, outdoor concert in the midwest, a storm came up and people were actually killed as some of the setup was hit by lightning. Over and over again the ones interviewed said "no one told us to leave".....sigh. They can't think for themselves and just say "I'm getting the hell out of here".

So much for being awake.

I absolutely agree with you about cops and would say the same for other professions like doctors and teachers.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, it used to be unheard of to put your feet up on the seat, whether it be a plane, bus, or subway.

You're more awoken? Please, I see younger people(and older people as well) walking around with their heads down, not looking when crossing the street, not looking when walking through a parking lot, looking up everything on your phone doesn't make you smarter, having the knowledge in your head makes you smarter.

I recently saw the documentary "Woodstock" for the first time in many years, it was about a rock festival in upstate in NY in the summer of 1969.

What I found interesting(and this was before my time) is a storm was coming up, these drugged out hippies knew enough(without someone telling them) to take cover.

Flash foward to today, people(especially younger ones) need to be told what to do, don't think for themselves. A couple of years ago same scenario, outdoor concert in the midwest, a storm came up and people were actually killed as some of the setup was hit by lightning. Over and over again the ones interviewed said "no one told us to leave".....sigh. They can't think for themselves and just say "I'm getting the hell out of here".

So much for being awake.

I absolutely agree with you about cops and would say the same for other professions like doctors and teachers.
Hey Sean, we white dudes can't say (or write) woke. We were forbidden by Buzzfeed and other representatives of POCs from using that word and we must do as we are told.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Hey Sean, we white dudes can't say (or write) woke. We were forbidden by Buzzfeed and other representatives of POCs from using that word and we must do as we are told.
Also can’t enjoy rap music and some yoga at the same time .

BLM Protests Yoga Studio | The Daily Caller

I guess every time a white person listens to rap music while doing yoga it’s a lethal combination and a black person dies .

Its an epidemic !

Old 02-18-2018, 09:43 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
Quote:
Woke.....

Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I agree, but I also think they have an attitude that if you're poor or working class, that's an excuse to be a jerk. The system is stacked for the rich and privileged so we don't have to obey the rules, yada yada.
Way more true on the upper end of the economic spectrum than the lower,. Money, privilege, and entitlement make things far worse. However that whole generation is poorly mannered and raised. To be fair it is not all their fault.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
You look up something, you learn something, you gained knowledge.

However there is the question of gaining the right knowledge. These days there's so much mixed information, people need to be more critical of what they read. And you don't know what everyone is doing. That girl on the bus? Is she tweeting? No, she's reading a book. But 20 years ago, she'd have the physical version of the book.

But what I also meant by awake, I read an article talking about how big companies such as in the diamond industry criticize millenials for a decline in sales. We're not spending like the last generation. Atleast on useless stuff.

Smartphones can be very useful these days if you run a business. Social media, apps, etc. And you don't need the latest and greatest.

Sad to say, those that do need the latest and greatest for nothing more than a statement are the dumb ones.

[quote=seain dublin;51061434]I recently saw the documentary "Woodstock" for the first time in many years, it was about a rock festival in upstate in NY in the summer of 1969.

Quote:

Yeah, because they are representative of everyone right? I think dumb young people has been a thing for a long time. Why do you think horror movies always show dumb drunk college kids getting killed since the '80s? No we didn't invent that..

Quote:
So much for being awake.

True, hold everyone at arms length. Judge on their actions.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
I hate cops. I have no sympathy when anything bad happens to them.

The national guard should be in charge of law enforcement.

I've met more teenage guardsmen, that have more class, dignity, and professionalism, than the meat heads in law enforcement.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 02-18-2018 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles