Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:38 AM

531 posts, read 2,074,254 times

Advertisements

We should make a song called I hate L.A. but to the tune of I love L.A.

Instead of look at those beaches, look at compton, watts etc.

It shoud say look at those insane housing prices, extreme commuters aint nothing like no more.

Lets try and make a song, I Hate L.A. and pitch it for the radio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,855 times
gah. Everything on this forum is SO negative about L.A. I don't get it. I know how the weather is in California because I live here, but for Pete's sake that can't be the ONLY reason people live in L.A. if everything I read here is 100% true.

"Yes we all put up with smog, long commutes, dangerous neighborhoods, insane housing prices, incredible cost of living, cause **** you can't beat a 72 degree day in the middle of December." <--this sounds really stupid when you say it out loud.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:28 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
montevista, I'm going to share a not so easy to see at first joke with you. Don't worry, it's from a songwriter who is known for VERY subtle irony, sharp understatement and concealed anger. Randy Newman, the author of the "I Love L.A." song, wrote the song as a condemnation of Los Angeles, with lyrics about some very ugly streets, and some very shallow attitudes of our residents. Study some of the lyrics: "...Century Blvd.! Victory Blvd!...Sixth Street!... look at those mountains, look at those trees, look at that bum over there he's down on his knees...EVERYBODY's very happy 'cos the sun is shining all the time..."

It's from a release called "Trouble In Paradise." (hint hint.) He said that he must have written it too subtly because people didn't understand his joke, and once the song took off as a pro-L.A. song, it had a life of its own and he just had to go with it. How do I know what he said? I interviewed him once after the song came out.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorau View Post
gah. Everything on this forum is SO negative about L.A. I don't get it.
Unfortunately, this thread is a cesspool of negativity, hate and misinformation. The moderators have allowed it to become that way and have given free reign to a number of posters who troll the forum on a daily basis to malign the city and to terrorize and scare the hell out of anyone who thinks of visitig or moving to LA.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Unfortunately, this thread is a cesspool of negativity, hate and misinformation. The moderators have allowed it to become that way and have given free reign to a number of posters who troll the forum on a daily basis to malign the city and to terrorize and scare the hell out of anyone who thinks of visitig or moving to LA.
I disagree. Of course, the people who are negative will be more vocal. That's just human nature. If a person is happy with where they live, why would they say much of anything?

"Terrorize" is a strong word. People are simply posting their own experiences here. One can take it with a grain of salt. It's a choice. I'm sure many people weigh the advantages and disadvantages listed on this forum, and decide to move to L.A., anyway, for a job opportunity, the weather, or a combination.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Unfortunately, this thread is a cesspool of negativity, hate and misinformation.
I've said it before - messageboards on the internet are almost always overwhelmingly negative.

It stinks, but the reality is that complainers outnumber the people with something good to say 10-to-one.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM

Are you counting Randy Newman as one of the complainers?!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Are you counting Randy Newman as one of the complainers?!
It's one thing to complain about the city you live in but deep down love it despite it's flaws.

It's another thing entirely to hate the place you live, but not leave. What's keeping you in Southern California?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:02 AM

We have 3 years left until my husband accrues his pension (whereas I can flounder anywhere.) Are you a renter Sassberto? If so, perhaps you're not aware of the differences between pulling up stakes and moving just because you'd prefer to, as to the financial complications when you're homeowner. I've been both, so don't take that as a slur, just a question to contribute to understanding our mutual points of view. An interim move at the moment would be a bigtime waste of cash, as most homeowners would concur.

Another difference in points of view is evident in every state forum on city-data. People can get "the tourist booster brochure" P.O.V. just about anywhere, so many threads of the various states here seem to pride themselves in presenting the reality of a place rather than the hype, (e.g., such and such area may appear cheaper, but it's close to a pulp mill so it smells bad! or the summer humidity is indeed difficult to bear) all in the interest of presenting a more realistic overall picture.

Within a place so intrinsically tied to hype and P.R. such as our own Los Angeles because of its starring role in so many tv and film productions, perhaps it's even more important to separate image from reality before other posters waste their hard-earned monies relocating without a scouting trip first. Which, despite my occasional soubriquets and soupcons of satire, is what I always advise while trying to address specifics here.

Randy Newman stays in L.A. because his brilliance has been greatly rewarded, and he lives in perhaps the loveliest place in the entirety of L.A., a private beachside canyon. He admitted in his interview that he rented a cubicle downtown and put a piano in it to try to boost his connection with the reality of others to write sharper songs, as it was "too nice" where he lived.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
We have 3 years left until my husband accrues his pension (whereas I can flounder anywhere.) Are you a renter Sassberto? If so, perhaps you're not aware of the differences between pulling up stakes and moving just because you'd prefer to, as to the financial complications when you're homeowner.
I'm a homeowner, and a recent one at that, so I'm definitely aware of the expenses involved.

Believe me I understand the frustration - we strongly considered moving away too - but in the end decided that our lifestyle just couldn't be replicated anywhere else.

I understand your desire to leave - but why opt to spend your last 3 years in CA complaining and trying to discourage others from trying to make their 'California Dream' come true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles