U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 PM

10,227 posts, read 13,378,654 times
I would say that this is a new heyday of moving to LA or the surrounding areas. Everything that you heard in the past is in the past. Many that could not afford this area in the past will now be able to find a home here. With the economic mess we are in many will lose, and many will win. What we have is just another opportunity to make it in LA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 AM

11,948 posts, read 13,057,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3 View Post
The oldsters in this thread are making me very nostalgic. L.A. used to be so wonderful. I grew up there from age 1 starting in the early 50's. The 40's and 50's.... THAT was the heyday. No smog, tons fewer people, beautiful weather, mountains, bucolic suburbs. Now I just get angry when I go there to visit family that is still there.

The 60's and 70's were not the heyday. That's when the smog set in and too many freeways were necessary. That's when I tried to leave the first time. I left 5 times in all (kept getting drawn back) but I've been gone for 5-1/2 years this most recent time. I hope I never have to go back even though I desperately miss the temperate climate.

This is so true: NYC people invaded L.A. in the 80's.
If you've ever read Raymond Chandler's "The Little Sister", Chandler - speaking through his Philip Marlowe character - complains about how L.A. is going downhill because of all the newcomers - and that book came out in 1949! He specifically mentions New Yorkers.

My guess is that NYC people have been coming to L.A. ever since the film industry came west. There seemed to be quite a few who came in the 1940s-60s- I have a friend who's in his 50s who grew up in Beverly Hills and referred to the BH he grew up in as "Beverly Hills, New Jersey" because it was so dominated by Northeasterners it might as well have been a wealthy suburb of NY or Philly.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 AM

373 posts, read 765,914 times
Perhaps you folks who are nostalgic about the golden era esp those saying that the golden era extended to the 80s (when the air quality and crime rates were at an apex) of LA are tainted my childhood rosed colored lenses? Or not. Just throwing the idea out there.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 AM

11,948 posts, read 13,057,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
Perhaps you folks who are nostalgic about the golden era esp those saying that the golden era extended to the 80s (when the air quality and crime rates were at an apex) of LA are tainted my childhood rosed colored lenses? Or not. Just throwing the idea out there.
The 1980s were definitely NOT L.A.'s golden age by any means. Far from it. Although the rents and housing prices were much lower and some of the '70s hedonistic spirit still managed to hold on in the early years of the decade. (I'm very surprised that no one mentioned AIDS as being a factor in the decline of L.A's appeal - besides killing some of the people who contributed most to making L.A. attractive, it sent down chills of fear and generated an overall repressiveness that hurt the quality of life, and said fear really helped kill the old L.A. spirit.) Also L.A. had a better music scene and cultural infrastructure than today (because the rents were lower).But there was a great deal of crap and many parts of L.A. were worse in that era than they are today.For example Hollywood Boulevard in the '80s was in a real bad state - for those who werent in L.A. at the time, Koreatown today is pretty close to what Hollywood was like back then much more than Hollywood today. Downtown in the '80s was only for gangbangers, drug dealers, and hookers once the offices closed (except for Little Tokyo which remained nice through downtown's darkest days). Venice had more gang activity than ever before or since although OTOH the rents were cheap enough to fuel a vibrant artistic community. As for Echo Park? The recent violence there is NOTHING compared to back then! I think people inevitably look back to the years when they were young as being better.Also, that period happened to precede the worst period in L.A.'s history, the early 1990s - people rightfully see the riots as having destroyed not only property and human life but having destroyed a certain culture, failing to realize that the decade preceding the riots saw that way of life and culture seriously threatened and all the phenomena that would lead to April 1992 had been building up for a decade and a half at least with things continuing to get worse and worse. People think that anything pre-'90s was better but the '80s clearly were NOT a good time. The only advantages that era had were the cheaper rents (and everything good that stemmed from them), LAUSD not being as far into its decay meaning that certain schools that are now crappy being decent back then, more of a blue collar culture and less polarization,and fewer immigration problems (although if all those people hadn't split and hadn't been scared off, I doubt those immigrationproblems would be as bad). Otherwise, much higher crime, much worse air quality, a far worse police force (probably the worst west of New Orleans at the time), more homophobia, at least as much racism (if CityData forums had existed back then there'd be tons of anti-black posts rather than anti-illegal posts), etc. The relative lack of gentrification in the '80s was both a positive and negative. So although there were good aspects to '80s L.A. the Golden Age was clearly over. In fact some people might even question whether the '70s were part of the Golden Age - quite a few people writing on L.A. history have said that the Manson Family murders marked the end of the Golden Age.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:23 AM

190 posts, read 288,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If you've ever read Raymond Chandler's "The Little Sister", Chandler - speaking through his Philip Marlowe character - complains about how L.A. is going downhill because of all the newcomers - and that book came out in 1949! He specifically mentions New Yorkers.

My guess is that NYC people have been coming to L.A. ever since the film industry came west. There seemed to be quite a few who came in the 1940s-60s- I have a friend who's in his 50s who grew up in Beverly Hills and referred to the BH he grew up in as "Beverly Hills, New Jersey" because it was so dominated by Northeasterners it might as well have been a wealthy suburb of NY or Philly.
That's fine, except when northeasterners bring that attitude with them to LA. I can't stand the northeast to be blatantly honest. When I'm in LA, I completely forget my years living there and become assimilated. My personality gels with LA, and clashes with the place I came from. When I come across the self-important, "s**w you, buddy!" types there, it's pretty obvious to me where they came from.

I'm already living in LA in my mind. Now I have to go back to NJ and deal with miserable weather and attitudes for at least a couple more years. But I already feel like a transplant there. LA speaks to me, it feels right. I can bond with strangers on the street there. It's depressing that I have to go back. I'm a stranger back at "home." Thanks alot, economy!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 14 days ago)

48,958 posts, read 40,391,543 times
To be truthful, probably the late 20s was the beginning of the "glory days" of So California, it just kept going, thru the depression, into the second world war and thereafter. When the burbs were from being Los Feliz, Eagle Rock, etc and suddenly they were more like Covina, San Fernando Valley and further out, the area started to turn downhill. Someone mentioned the smog, it was very much a part of our growing up years in the early to mid 50s. By the mid 70s the charm was starting to wear thin, even though the growth continued.

The good times, when Disney opened (1955) I think, Dodgers hit town, (1958) followed by the Angeles a few years later.

Oh, just one more thing, for those who say it is coming back because of the decline in property values, houses are still grossly overpriced compared to many parts of the country, as other areas have had the same downturn..

When you still have to pay $2000 a month to rent a little 2 bedroom home 25 miles from downtown, gas is still higher than most places, houses are still $300,000 and more in many areas, I would call the inflated.

Nita

Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,279,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
In fact some people might even question whether the '70s were part of the Golden Age - quite a few people writing on L.A. history have said that the Manson Family murders marked the end of the Golden Age.
For old times sake, check out these photos:

Aging Charles Manson captured in prison photo | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
I was looking at a reunion site that Steve Wynn hosted in Vegas for some of his friends from Utica, NY. Seems like there were a whole bunch that moved out to the Los Angeles area during the mid 60's to mid 70's. Got more thinking about it...most of my Dad's cousins from the NYC area moved out there during that time too. Was that the real heyday of Los Angeles? Or was it an earlier time? Would be interesting to get perspectives from both natives and folks that took the leap out there from back east.
funny you would mention Utica, we had neighbors who moved to So Ca in 1960 from Utica.

I have mentioned before the 20s was the beginning, then came the post war days, people wanted to come to the land of sunshine, the aero space industry opened up and many from the midwest and states like Ar and Ok came, looking for a better life..

I think those who think the 80s were the hayday, are too young to remember the true haydays..We all remember our years as kids and teens, we all think they were the best, isn't that the way it sould be..???

Last edited by nmnita; 03-19-2009 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would say that this is a new heyday of moving to LA or the surrounding areas. Everything that you heard in the past is in the past. Many that could not afford this area in the past will now be able to find a home here. With the economic mess we are in many will lose, and many will win. What we have is just another opportunity to make it in LA.
I totally disagree with that, of course this is only my opinion: yes, the property values have gone south, but they have elsewhere in the country as well and the unemployment rate is so high in Calif that finding a decent job is almost impossible so I do not think you will see a huge increase in population like 50 years ago...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles