Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM

68 posts, read 68,491 times

Advertisements

Hi Los Angeles!

As my username suggests, I'm relocating from Detroit, Michigan to Phoenix, Arizona this August! I'm very excited for this move, but more for the long term effects than the short term!

So, this move--simply put--is a marketing/branding move for myself. I'll be finishing school in AZ, preferably at ASU, but GCU is a possibility as well due to the lower costs. I travel to and from AZ frequently for the time being, but LA's where I really want to be long term--however, I need to be fully prepared (making at least $100k/year by myself) before that time comes. Obviously, AZ attracts a lot of residents and students from CA, each for their own reasons, but it's an extraordinarily better opportunity to market myself in Los Angeles, and the West Coast in general, as opposed to Detroit and the Midwest (I'm going into marketing).

I'm basically asking--is a move like that to market myself a smart thing to do? I'm fixed on not finishing in Michigan because marketing myself far out west can be very challenging, even with a nice degree like U of M (why choose a U of M grad when there's UCLA and USC down the street). Looking at all of the opportunities both ASU and GCU have post-grad, I am sure to be locked into the West Coast/Southwest for my career, which is my biggest goal.

There's always the typical "stay and play it safe in MI then move," but what am I staying for if I'm fixed on leaving, and know where I want to go? For the record, I've received scholarships to both universities so far.

Thanks, Los Angeles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
There are millions of people trying to market themselves here. It's best to stay where you are.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 PM

277 posts, read 883,993 times
You need to build relationships with people in LA. The students at USC and UCLA are doing that right now. Why not take a gap year, volunteer here, work here, and then decide if you can start a successful career here. This will be an experiment to see if transferring makes sense to your career.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:52 PM

68 posts, read 68,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
There are millions of people trying to market themselves here. It's best to stay where you are.
Teehee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
You need to build relationships with people in LA. The students at USC and UCLA are doing that right now. Why not take a gap year, volunteer here, work here, and then decide if you can start a successful career here. This will be an experiment to see if transferring makes sense to your career.
Oddly enough, I've been in and out of LA a good number of times...don't go too frequently anymore, I should've mentioned this, but my family and I lived in Irvine for a brief bit. I know it's O.C., but plenty of opportunity there. That being said, it's still a great idea.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Assuming I understand your question, you're either in the USC/UCLA "club" or you're not. We don't consider Arizona to be L.A. - East, so I see no benefit studying in Arizona over Michigan (other than their football team ). Many successful people here are from somewhere else. You have just as good a chance of being hired by a Buckeye as you do a UCLA grad.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Just try but have a backup/escape plan if it doesn't work out..

Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
I do not see a benefit in going to Arizona to make yourself marketable in LA. In fact, I'd say a degree from U of M stands out a lot more than a degree from any of the Arizona schools. There are a fair number of Michigan transplants in the greater LA area and most folks in general know that U of M is a great school that frankly is better and more esteemed than any Arizona university.

ASU is generally known as a party school. That's not to say there aren't folks who went to ASU and did fine, but on average, if you're looking to go into a white collar industry, someone from U of M is going to stand out more and their alumni network is strong in SoCal. If your heart is set on going to Arizona, then go to the University of Arizona. It's the best university in the state.

What areas are you looking to major in? What industries are you looking to go into? Unless one of the Arizona schools is really well known in a particular area that has a great placement record for certain industries, your best bet is to either stay in Michigan or make the leap and come straight to LA.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
I moved out here to AZ hoping to be in California, but the reality is there is a lot of competition in California and its very expensive.

I know Michigan isn't exciting , but U of M is better than any of the schools in AZ. (Ohio st alum here).
The only thing ASU has over Michigan is hotter girls, but you don't want to be distracted all the time.
The other alternative is to transfer to UCLA or univ of California Irvine.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Assuming I understand your question, you're either in the USC/UCLA "club" or you're not. We don't consider Arizona to be L.A. - East, so I see no benefit studying in Arizona over Michigan (other than their football team ). Many successful people here are from somewhere else. You have just as good a chance of being hired by a Buckeye as you do a UCLA grad.

LOL...you got that right.

OP, do you watch a lot or Reality TV, shows like "Shark Tank"(I have only seen a few minutes of it).

WTH is market yourself? And you don't need a 100K a year as a single person to live here comfortably.

Here's how I did in 1988 when I moved from NY, finished college with a business degree, saved up $5,000(which wasn't enough even in 88), and stayed with friends from college here and landed an office job.

I suggest you come up with a similar plan but come out with more money(6 months living expenses if you don't have a good paying job lined up).

Hate to break it to you, but unless you have some rare talent(like a 5 octave range voice) you're just another young person who wants to move to LA.

That has been going on for the last 50 years or so, there is nothing to "market", you're not a brand of clothing.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWtoPHX View Post

I'm basically asking--is a move like that to market myself a smart thing to do?
There are certain places in the USA where there is collected money and influence. NYC, DC, and, to a lesser extent, Los Angeles. But it is hard to get integrated into these centers of influence or success unless you have the right connections or hustle or luck.

But there are many places in the states with no real money or influence.

If you want to be successful, you should try going to the center of things. But you will probably fail to break in. Most people fail.

But, the alternative, never trying, is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles